Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:37:25 PM EDT
http://www.hqtheclub.org/files/ak1.jpg

Complete at long last! My thanks goes out to Ne1 and everyone else who gave advice in refinishing the gun. I appreciate your help immensely.

- Molyresin Refinish
- Restored Furniture with Polyshades
- De-blued and Polished Bolt

A world of difference for about $50 in supplies.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great. Now finish it off with a slant brake.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice AK! Looks great! The wood looks really nice too.  And you are quite welcome. Glad I could help!  Thanks for posting a pic. It's always nice to see a plan come to fruition.  

What kind of mollyresin did you use? Semi-gloss? Looks like you did the mag too, right? Run into any problems? Easy and fun, right? Mollyresin is great stuff!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It was actually a little easier than I expected, but I suppose I did all the hard stuff ahead of time gathering supplies and cleaning the gun.

Its actually the SOCOM black but it came out a bit shiny once I rubbed it down with Sheath. I don't mind too much.

The only problem I had was baking the receiver and barrel. It BARELY fit in the oven and in my struggle to get it in there, the wire I was using to hang the whole thing managed to scratch up the uncured finish on the barrel. I didn't realize until afterwards so I had to respray and heat it with a heatgun vs. putting it in the oven. Fortunately my heatgun goes well over 500 degrees so it wasn't an issue.

Another 'problem' was with one of the mags. After I baked it, a ton of cosmoline poured out of the seams but after I cleaned it up, it was alright.

I live in a small apartment and this project was not well suited for where I live. Nor is it suited for small ovens! I wish I had a garage or something so I could of done this outside but I had to settle for a gasmask and open windows.

I'm very pleased with the results anyway. $23 is a bargain for Molyresin. Its good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top