Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 2:13:40 PM EDT
I am interested in starting to hunt deer in South Carolina with my AR-15. It is equipped with an EOTech and maybe a 3x magnifier. I heard somewhere that it is illegal to hunt with a red dot sight. I was also wondering if .223 caliber was allowed to hunt deer in SC. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It is absolutely legal.  Just no FMJ bullets.  I have been very satisfied with Federal Power Shok 64 gr.  I had an EOTech set up, but found it difficult to see the deer even with the lowest illumination setting.  I now have a fixed 5x scope ATN 5x33l.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the FMJ bullet restriction is only when hunting on public land such as the Francis Marion National Forest for example.
On private land dang near anything goes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:56:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both. I was thinking that I may go with a scope anyway just because that is what I am used to hunting with. I guess that we will see. I wasn't planning on using FMJ anyway, looking at bullets right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top