Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2011 6:39:16 PM EDT
My nephew turns 7 this week and my sister said I could get him a BB gun as long as I'm willing to supervise him when he wants to use it.  Can anyone recommend one appropriate for a 7 yr old?  I'm looking for something $50 or less and that isn't a total piece of junk.  Are the Daisy lever actions any good?  TIA
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for my 7yo son and got a pink one for my 5yo daughter this Christmas.  They love it!

Its not the most powerful or accurate out there, but for plinking from 10-15 yards-ish it works very well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just about any single cock, lever action type bb gun is good.  Power isn't all that important, measure the range in feet rather than yards.  The biggest point about a bb gun for a kid is simply a training tool for the bigger guns later in life.  How they follow the rules with it, etc.

We had a bb stop in our house when I was a kid made out of a cardboard box with layers of free hanging denim inside.  We destroyed may boxes over the years and always had a blast doing it.  The range was our hallway that was only about 20 feet long or so.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
With out a dout, Go with the Red Ryder.

Of all the firearms my family owns, the Red Ryder is the number one used "Lead Delivery System" (ya, I know BB's are steel). We haven't kill anything (animals) with it, but it has torn more cans in half than I can count.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up with a Crossman and I shot it until the seals were destroyed. I had a cardboard, old magazines, newspaper and Styrofoam  stop in my parents basement that I shot every night after school and every week end.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The Daisy Red Ryder is just under $50 at most places. Good choice.  

My first BB gun was a Daisy pump action... I was about 7 or 8. My dad set up a "range" in the basement. Plywood backstop, bench, the works. I destroyed 1,000s of Budweiser cans, and back then they were steel, not aluminum cans, so they'd take a lot more hits.  I just checked Daisy's website, and they are making that pump again... model 25, at $74.99. I think my dad paid $10 for mine.... but that was 1957.  
I bought a Crosman .22 pellet gun in about 1966. I still have it, and it's still knocking the occasional squirrel off the bird feeders (when one figures out how to get up on the feeder, he's rewarded with a .22 through the head).

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought my 7 year old a Red Ryder as well.  He's just turned eight and he'll be using it more.  The cocking mechanism is much stiffer than I recall and occasionally he gets frustrated with it.  Bought the bb trap kit to go with it, just a small metal box that holds targets in the front.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are anywhere near me I have a very lightly used Red Ryder the kid can have. IM me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was little, my brother and I went through BB guns pretty quickly. None broke that I can think of, but we wanted something cooler every once in a while and they were cheap enough that we could afford to buy them. We started off with Daisy lever-actions which are super basic, but effective. Just make sure the kid can cock it himself. After that, I had one that looked like a miniature shotgun and you had to pump it in the same way. Super difficult for a little guy to do, I usually had to ask for help. Wasn't too fun, either. Then, we graduated up to the ones that you pump the handguard several times. I believe mine was a Daisy also. Those were by far the most accurate, and the first few pumps are easy. They also accept co2 cartridges a lot of the time. These may be too long for a seven-year-old?

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
redryder and some pop cans. $29 i think at walmart. cans are free.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
redryder and some pop cans. $29 i think at walmart. cans are free.

Hold on son, let me make you another target.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Red Ryder still have mine, had "range" in the basement. being the youngest had to share time with my brothers
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]
i cant believe nobody said it yet.

you'll shoot your eye out!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the input.  I will most likely go with a Daisy.  Of course I had one when I was a kid.  I alway remember that if you cocked it, left the lever up, and pulled the trigger, it would slam that lever to the stock with a good smack!  Wonder if they ever changed that design .... probably have they got sued 50 times.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input.  I will most likely go with a Daisy.  Of course I had one when I was a kid.  I alway remember that if you cocked it, left the lever up, and pulled the trigger, it would slam that lever to the stock with a good smack!  Wonder if they ever changed that design .... probably have they got sued 50 times.

I almost broke my fingers many times as a kid. I did however teach my daughter to make sure that damn thing was put back up against the stock and am not about to try shooting it with my fingers in the way just to see if it still hurts. Now FMD or Flamethrower might try it (just bring a rock to beat the cocking lever back into shape ). Of course if Flamethrower did it then it would be a trip to the ER with multiple transfusions and maybe a hand replacement.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, the new models have safety features built in to them. There is a ratchet in the cocking mechanism that makes it so you cant let go of the lever and smash your little fingers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top