Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/14/2003 9:21:17 AM EST
I travel quite a bit for a living, and recently I've been in Kentucky working there for about six months on and off.

I understand (for the most part) the CCW reciprocity laws, but this question relatees to something else.

About two weeks ago I was leaving my apartment in Kentuck to travel to my company's jobsite about an hour away. It was 5:30 in the morning and a clear one at that. I passed a local yokel cop on a backroad leading to the highway. I didn't think anything of it.

Well he did. Turns out I was going 55 MPH. I though that the speed limit was 45 MPH, but the officer made it a point to explain that I was about 100 feet from the 45 zone when he clocked me. I was in a 35 MPH zone going 55 MPH. That was unfortunate for me.

Anyway, in Kentucky 20 over the limit is 6 points on your license. My question is, will that carry over to PA? Also, is it going to carry over as 6 points or whatever PA charges for 20 over (I never got a ticket before in PA so I don't know)?

The court clerk here in KY had no clue as to waht I should do. I can plead guilty, pay the fine and take the points, go to traffic school and lose the points (in PA? I am leaving permanently in 2 days), or go to court and hope the cop doesn't show up.

Does anyone have any clue what to do?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:22:16 PM EST
I don't have your answers, but I'd post this over in General Discussion to take advantage of the heavier traffic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:35:53 PM EST
PA doesn't care what you do in other states.

The only thing you have to worry about is what your insurance company is going to do to you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:16:26 AM EST
Thanks for the response guys.

I think I might dump this message on the general discussion board to see what happens.

I just don't want the points. My insurance company may get the info, but I can't lose my license, and since driving across the US is part of my job I need my license.

I guess slowing down would be the answer, but that's the funny thing. I rarely speed to begin with. It would figure that I get a ticket on some bassackwards country road in the middle of KY instead of interstate 70.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:39:16 AM EST
The only state that carries points over to PA is NJ. And that's only some of the time. Seems like the state police do it far more frequently than the local PD. Although, I've received 2 speeding tickets in NJ (one local, one Sate) and neither one showed up on my PA record.
Top Top