Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 1:48:03 PM EDT
Well Buzzstrike and I went shooting today, and had a blast.  First we went on a wild hunt for some Wolf 54r for the Romak, and we were unlucky in finding any, but while stopped in a local shop looking at bayonets for my K98, I just happened to catch a glimpse of another Mauser, and when I picked it up, lo and behold it's a 1915 G.E.W. 98.  After some hemming and hawing, I gave up the k98 and 20 bucks and I walked out with a nice G.E.W.98!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyways after leaving there we headed down to West Point WMA just out side of LaGrange.  It's a great rifle range.  Of course it's 100 yds of open space in the woods, but nice wooden benches and tables that don't rock, and the range is marked in 25 yard incriments.  The only drawback is that it's a small range in total size, and parking is limited.  It's right off of a main road, and you can back right up to the firing line to unload.  Just as we were about to pack up, a young guy (probably younger than me) showed up with his Glock 17, and we shoved some rifles in his hands.  First off it was Buzz's M1 Garand, then it was the G.E.W.  Turns out he dosen't have much experience with bolt action rifles.  He fired the first shot, then tried to pull the trigger a couple more times before he realized he had to cycle the bolt.  After that it was on to the Einfeield, and then the Extereme Hakim.  We told him about the site and told him to sign up.  So we may have a new GA member soon.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
LaGrange is about 30 mi south of Newnan on 85
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Me being in newnan when I am in town, it will be quite convient
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
DeltaAir,
Could you email me or post some directions to that range?
I've known about it for some time,but can't seem to find any directions to it.
And I don't want to wander around Troup and Heard Counties with a truck load of guns!

And being able to tailgate at the firing line is a real plus too!

Thanks,Robert.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DeltaAir,
Could you email me or post some directions to that range?
I've known about it for some time,but can't seem to find any directions to it.
And I don't want to wander around Troup and Heard Counties with a truck load of guns!

And being able to tailgate at the firing line is a real plus too!

Thanks,Robert.

Yeah, CE sucks for that and it's the only DNR range I have seen with that setup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, fun was had by both of us.  Finally got the M1 dialed in and found out that it can shoot better than I can. (Hmm note to self. PRACTICE...) As for directions I will see if I can post the map of West Point WMA.  

I was pleantly suprised of the range.  Being so close to Bama and all.  

Small but cumfie. Heck there are even observaition bleachers.  For what I dont know?

But Delta scored himself one hell of a Mauser.  

Whats up with this guy???

Either he is a Commie bastard or a new fangald 8MM maniac???

ENFIELD....  [/red

The nerve of some people.

BTW I was able to drop a bowling pin at 50 yards with my Hi-Power.  Got it on the eigth shot and pushed  it around  with the 9 and 10 shots.   That was fun challenge.

Bet no feeble Kimber can do it.
Nahh. just kidding.(or am I)?

Buzz.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
ALLL RIGHT FOUND THE LINK.

www.georgiaoutdoors.com/hunting/WMAmaps/WestPoint.pdf

Damn took me long enough.

Book to answer you question YES.  GACOP has stated many times on his wanting to go to west point.  SOOOOOOooo.  If for once you guys want to come down our way.  Cool.

Theres a CB and a HOOTERS off of exit 47 (Newnan) and looks as if the best way to get to the range is exit 18 take 109 into town. hit the 27/29 connection,  make a left then a right a light or two but be sure to make a right on to 219 North.   Once you pass the high school look for two lakes.  After the second lake look for the brown sign.  Its going to be on the right.

If you are confused, thats ok. When you get there you will see that I was COMPLETLY WRONG.

Well, maybe a little .

Enjoy.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad you didn't get lost. After seeing the map, I know how to get there from Franklin. Where did Delta get the Mauser? Did you stop at Oz? If you did, sorry you had to deal with Bill, he's a perfect example of a grumpy old man but he has a lot of stuff in his store. So much ,in fact ,you can barely walk in there. Buzz, let me know in advance when you want to go to West Point and I'll see if I can get away and go pop some caps.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where did Delta get the Mauser? Did you stop at Oz? If you did, sorry you had to deal with Bill, he's a perfect example of a grumpy old man but he has a lot of stuff in his store. So much ,in fact ,you can barely walk in there.

Yep after we stopped to chat with you we went to Newnan army/navy looking for the Wolf 54R.  After there we went to Oz.  Bill was his usual self. But Delta got himself a nice piece.  Bill over all is a decent guy, a bit HIGH on his prices, but he usually has what you are looking for.  He is decent guy to talk to if you can understand a lazy mouthed southener.  

Heck thats where I picked up my SMLE back in Nov.

Buz.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Buzz,

Robert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top