Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/15/2006 2:45:12 PM EST
Recently I have noticed that some gunshops here in Vegas will not accept NVID when you are buying rifle or shotguns. I asked them why and they told me that quite a few of the CA residents are getting caught with the firearms they bought from LV by using the NVID. Here's question. IF you are a a state of Nevada resident and possessed a valid Driver license . It's not against law to obtain another state's ID. And I don't think the gunshops are liable for that as well. But I guess this is a great country when it comes down to lawsuit. Anyway. I would appreciate for any link on this!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:06:07 PM EST
It's a free country. Gunshops can sell (or not sell) to whomever they want.

Lots of PRK residents try to come to Nevada to illegally buy things they can't have in Cali.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:39:38 PM EST
If you own a residence in Nevada, you may purchase firearms, including handguns, while staying at your residence in Nevada. See this link:

(B13) May a person who resides in one state and owns property in another state purchase a handgun in either state?

If a person maintains a home in 2 states and resides in both states for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular state, purchase a handgun in that state. But simply owning property in another state does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that state.

If you are trying to use a state ID to purchase a handgun in that state, without transferring it to a FFL in your home state, you are probably breaking the law:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

A gunshop in one state may not know the laws of another state, and can therefore decide not to sell you the firearm.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:44:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 3:46:32 PM EST by ishoot2live]
Nevada State ID's are only issued if a person does not drive or they are prohibited from legally possessing a Drivers License (i.e Disabilities, homeless, DUI, wreckless driving, traffic warrants, too many demerit points, etc).

A Nevada resident cannot possess a State issued ID card and a Drivers License at the same time. It is one or the other. An out of state resident cannot possess a Nevada ID card AND an out of state Drivers License. When an out of state resident moves to Nevada they have 30 days to obtain a Nevada Driver License or ID card. Once again, they cannot possess both regardless.

<­a class='textLink' href='http://www.dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm#ID' target='_new'>Nevada Driver Licensing/ID Cards

The residency and proof of identity requirements for a Nevada Identification Card are the same as those for a driver license. The minimum age for an ID card is 10 years.

You generally cannot hold both a Nevada ID card and an out-of-state driver license. Nevada residents who wish to operate a motor vehicle must obtain a Nevada driver license.

To apply for an original Nevada Identification Card, you must:

Be a resident of Nevada and provide a Nevada street address.

Provide acceptable proof of your name, date of birth and Social Security number if one has been issued for you. See Residency and Proof of Identity.

Apply in person at a DMV Full Service Office. (We do not make appointments.)

Complete a Driver License Application.

Pay the required fee. See Driver License Fees.

Surrender any existing U.S. driver license, permit or ID card.

Have your picture taken. The ID card will then be issued at the DMV office.

If you are surrendering a Nevada driver license or permit for an ID card, you need only to surrender the existing license. You do not need separate proof of name, date of birth or SSN.

Persons who declare themselves homeless are entitled to a one-time fee exemption for a duplicate Nevada license or ID card. See Duplicate Licenses.


I am not sure how it works when an out of state person goes to DMV and tries to obtain a Nevada ID card. It would seem that DMV would require the surrender of an out of state DL or ID card before a Nevada ID card could be issued.

As far as local gunshops not selling to individuals with Nevada ID cards: I guess the shops have that game figured out.

Perhaps Jim or Chiz can throw in a couple of pennies in on this issue.

ETA: I guess Jim already responded. So between Jim's 2 pennies and my 2 pennies, you should have your answers Joeybadabang.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:08:20 PM EST

.......interesting. I can remember when a p/t resident would have both (nv id + oos dl), as proof of local residence (useful for purchases, checking accts, etc). Was entirely legal. Guess they "closed" that "loophole".
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:09:27 PM EST
I think my puzzle has already been solved. As far as I can tell. All the real estate investors from CA are probably going from gunshop to gun shop before it's too late to buy all the toys they want! And I happened to be the resident of both states so I think i might have to spend more time in Vegas as well!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:29:29 AM EST
To cover those that may have dual rights in both states, NV offers a seasonal resident ID card.

You are required to obtain it if you are here for more than 30 days (may be 60 now, not one I really pursued)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:28:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By RDP:
To cover those that may have dual rights in both states, NV offers a seasonal resident ID card.

You are required to obtain it if you are here for more than 30 days (may be 60 now, not one I really pursued)

NAC 481.085:

NAC 481.005 “Seasonal resident” defined for purposes of chapters 482 and 483 of NRS. (NRS 481.052) As used in chapters 482 and 483 of NRS, “seasonal resident” means any person who is not a “resident” as defined in NRS 483.141 and who:

1. Temporarily resides in this State for a period of at least 31 consecutive days in each calendar year;

2. Maintains a temporary residence in this State;

3. Returns to the state or jurisdiction of his residence at least one time during each calendar year;

4. Is registered to vote or pays income tax in another state or jurisdiction; and

5. Does not engage in a trade, profession, occupation or gainful employment in this State.

(Added to NAC by Dep’t of Motor Veh. & Pub. Safety by R134‑97, eff. 11‑14‑97; A by R061‑00, 8‑14‑2000; A by Dep’t of Motor Veh. by R084‑03, 10‑30‑2003)

So as long as you are here at least 31 consecutive days a year, and don't work here, you can get a "Seasonal Resident" ID card.
Top Top