Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 7:32:38 PM EDT
This could be a stupid question but I thought I would ask because I didn't really find an answer online. Is the ban in NY similar to the Federal ban of 94 being 10 years? or is it a permanent ban? I didn't see anything on an end date for the NY ban so I'm assuming it is forever? Thought I would just double check.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It mirrors the Fed ban. I do not believe there is any expiration date.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
until we can get it overturned.....we are stuck with it (no sunset).
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh gotcha, I saw that term "no sunset" and wasn't sure what it meant. Kinda figured it mean no expiration though.
Now, more newby comes out in me, don't get mad, I'm 19 and stupid still...haha. What has to be done to get it overturned?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What has to be done to get it overturned?

Replacing the pols. Unfortunately, there are a majority of voters that keep re-electing them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, guess I'll have to start doing my part now that I can vote.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]
To overturn it will require a federal court case, which will be in about 3-5 years.  What needs to happen to set it up will be some federal court rulings that explicitly say that the 2nd Amendment requires strict scrutiny of gun laws and that an AWB doesn't pass that test, and a case or two that formally debunks the nonsense of the AW term, definition, and intent of the laws.  Basically the law is total crap and those upholding it know it, but from 1875 until 2008 the 2nd Amendment was held totally worthless in courts and gun rights accordingly had a century long losing streak.  States without a state constitutional provision for right to keep and bear arms––NY, CA, MA, NJ, IL, MD, and HI––could enact as many anti gun laws as they liked and because of political momentum coming from the 1930's and FDR all the way through 1980's, the Democrat party had a virtual monopoly on power and thus complete free reign to do so.  With the Sullivan Law as the basis in 1911 there has been an established precedence in society against us and we've only begun trying to fight back in the last decade or two at best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top