Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 6:21:00 AM EDT
I need you to put me at ease, please.

My daughter will be traveling to London in a few weeks; she has never been there and was told that from Heathrow Airport to her destination, Chelsea, there are 2 ways of getting there:

By taxi, which was not recommended because the cost will be "insane", how much do you think it could be?

By Tour Bus, that will pick her up at the Airport and will make its way through London and eventually get to Chelsea.

She kind of likes the tour bus idea, but I am worried about this. Here in New York it would be a bad idea, traveling with a suitcase and a bag in a bus, in a city that she is not familiar at all, does not make me feel comfortable, is it safe? Would she get lost? Then what? She won't have a cell phone for at least a day, so I will be on pin and needles until I hear from her.

What do you guys recommend us do to?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
She would be far better off taking the Heathrow Express which is a normal bus service, for people travelling to and from london and heathrow. Its a nice coach type thing and the people who run the service are used to dealing with people who don't speak english, so an American will be fine.

That will take her to Paddington station. At which point it will be a short taxi ride to Chelsea.

http://www.heathrowexpress.com/

The idea of a taxi from Heathrow to Chelsea is indeed insane.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its a nice coach type thing and the people who run the service are used to dealing with people who don't speak english, so an American will be fine.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends where abouts in Chelsea she's going, but she can always get the Underground (train) directly from Heathrow to any number of stations locally.
If you can get me an address, I can work out the easiest and quickest route for her.
I do live in London BTW

Mark
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh god Mark.

Please don't offer the poor girl a lift.

An Irishman with armalites, a big red van, and a hostage. You might not make it out alive

Dave
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
She would be far better off taking the Heathrow Express which is a normal bus service, for people travelling to and from london and heathrow. Its a nice coach type thing and the people who run the service are used to dealing with people who don't speak english, so an American will be fine.

That will take her to Paddington station. At which point it will be a short taxi ride to Chelsea.

a big +1 on the Heathrow Express. I used it last month and was quite impressed by the speed and cleanliness. There are lots of security staff.

The train will cost £14 and the ticket machines will take credit cards if your daughter has no (Great) British cash.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a big +1 on the Heathrow Express. I used it last month and was quite impressed by the speed and cleanliness. There are lots of security staff.

The train will cost £14 and the ticket machines will take credit cards if your daughter has no (Great) British cash.

I'm pretty sure it won't cost £14 to get the tube into London, But the Heathrow Express will probably be the easiest option considering your daughter will be unfamiliar and coming here for the 1st time.
Mark
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, thank you so much for all the information you are giving us, I will get the address where she will be staying.

I know I am going to have a few more questions, and I hope not to be a pain in the ass asking your advice on this.

I guess she is going to need a transformer for the computer and electric stuff that she'll be using. I was told that instead of renting a satellite phone and can just rent a cell phone for the 6 weeks she is going to be there. What cellular company do you think has the best rates? (I am afraid, this maybe the most expensive thing, she loves to talk on the phone.)

Thanks again.

Frank
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes for the transformer - we use 230V / 50Hz.

Reserve the Sat phone for the jungle! We use the same GSM system (on a different band) as the US, so if she has a recent phone it may well work here anyway. Otherwise there will be plenty of choice for phone rental at the airport. We have a number of networks to choose from, so the prices should be pretty comptetive. As for cost of phone calls to the US from a mobile phone...I'd get her to e-mail you instead!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes for the transformer - we use 230V / 50Hz.

Don't most computer power supplies have a switch so you can swop from 220/240v to the 110/120v supply? If that's the case just remember to switch over before you first plug in and you're away.

As far as phone calls go, if she's anything like most women I know they can talk up a bill in no time at all. Apparently my wife gets charged a lot more than me for the same call. "I was only talking for a couple of minutes, dear" - yeah right, and they charged you how much?
I'm with target-hunter, get her to email you.

There's enough of us arfcomers in and around London so we should be able to answer most of your questions or help out in other ways. So ask away.

ETA: you do know that you'll be asked to supply no end of hard-to-get and wondrous AR parts and slip them in to your daughter's luggage for us over here. Just watch the weight limit, you don't want to pay too much excess baggage fees!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If it s a major brand laptop it will be auto switching. Compaq, Sony, IBM, Dell, HP, Acer etc. etc.

All she needs is a $3 UK plug adaptor.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Depends where abouts in Chelsea she's going, but she can always get the Underground (train) directly from Heathrow to any number of stations locally.
If you can get me an address, I can work out the easiest and quickest route for her.
I do live in London BTW

Mark

I finally got the address,

Chelsea Point
Manresa Rd (at Kings Road)
Chelsea, London

So far it looks like taking the Heathrow Express is the way to go, thank you again for all your help.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do live in London BTW

Mark

I finally got the address,

Chelsea Point
Manresa Rd (at Kings Road)
Chelsea, London

So far it looks like taking the Heathrow Express is the way to go, thank you again for all your help.

Good place, it adjoins the Kings Road, not far from Sloane Square tube station.
It's a very lively area, somewhat upmarket and very trendy with lots of night-life and right in the middle of the "West-End".
I think she'll enjoy it.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good place, it adjoins the Kings Road, not far from Sloane Square tube station.
It's a very lively area, somewhat upmarket and very trendy with lots of night-life and right in the middle of the "West-End".
I think she'll enjoy it.

Mark

Great! Now I am really worry,   Not really....  

Is it easy to get to in the Heathrow Express?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
1/ Heathrow express into Paddington, then
2/ Hammersmith + city line tube (underground) train one stop to Edgware, then
3/ Circle line tube train to Sloane Square

Alternate route (may take longer, but less hassle)
1/ Heathrow Express from Terminal 4 to Terminals 1+2+3 (this is FREE)
2/ Picadilly line tube train to Sloane Square

Tube train map here  
Manresa Rd streetmap here (Manresa Rd is just south west of Royal Brompton hospital)
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you so much for the directions, we really appreciate your help.
Did someone suggested to rent a cell phone at the airport?

Does anyone know about the tour bus from the airport to chelsea?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thank you so much for the directions, we really appreciate your help.
Did someone suggested to rent a cell phone at the airport?

Does anyone know about the tour bus from the airport to chelsea?

The bus doesn't go to Chelsea, it goes to Paddington, from where she can get a taxi.
That would probably the most painless option.
The tube would undoubtedly be the most direct route, but knowing what the Underground can be like when it's busy and you are loaded down with suitcases, it's not much fun.
I'd take the bus and taxi

Mark
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok guys, I am really getting nervous, Lee will be traveling tomorrow night and will be landing in London on Sunday at around 10:00 AM, I don't think I'll be sleeping tomorrow night, I hope she can get a cell phone right away or internet access to let me know how and where she is.

Lee will be going from terminal 4 to terminal 3 to meet two other participants in the group (I hope they can find each other) and from there; they'll be taking the train or bus to Paddington and then a taxi to Chelsea. Sounds like fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you guys again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]
She'll be fine! Don't worry!!

Let us know how it goes...
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
She'll be fine! Don't worry!!

Just so long as she keeps off the moors.......

Mark
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
..... You made me miss!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Aint this place great?
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
..... You made me miss!

I never miss!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, things did not get to a good start, we left the house 2 1/2 hours before her plane was to leave, (at 9:30PM) a ride that normally takes 30 minutes, took us 2 hours, there was a big bad accident somewhere in the highway, with traffic all the way to the airport, we tried side streets and other ways to get there and everything was screwed up, with my daughters and wife crying, and me cursing and almost getting in a few accidents myself, I thought I was getting a heart attack.

To make a long story short, we got to the airport at 9:00PM and she was NOT allowed to aboard the plane, no matter how much we pleaded they simply told us,  it will take about 1 hour to expedite her papers and that there was nothing they could do. We were told by other passengers, that there were about 19 other people on stand by, waiting to get in the plane and her seat was probably given to someone else when Lee did not showed up on time.

Lee and all of us felt like crap, to say the least and the best we can do, is try again in the next available flight, that will be this afternoon at 6:30PM, I think we will be leaving the house at around 12:00 and have lunch at the airport.

If I was nervous before, now I am going crazy, she will be landing at around 5:00AM London time and this time, she won't be meeting anyone, she will have that luggage, that nearly broke my back getting it in the car, and she has to find her way to the train or bus out of the airport and then take the taxi to Chelsea all by herself.

I hope rush hour is not like here, in this jungle called New York, and she won't have the problems that I am anticipating. Man, is really tuff being a father, I hope the next  7 weeks go a little easier, at the end of her classes, we'll be traveling to London to spend a week  and coming back home together.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Man, Bad news.

Does that mean she'll be arriving at 5.00am on Monday morning?

I'm not sure even any of us would be able to help as we all have jobs to go to from 6am onwards.

If so, she will be OK, London has lots of bus lanes and traffic jams aren't as bad for buses, she'll still get into london easily.

Perhaps Streetfighter has some suggestions about London Traffic?

Dave
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Man, Bad news.

Does that mean she'll be arriving at 5.00am on Monday morning?

I'm not sure even any of us would be able to help as we all have jobs to go to from 6am onwards.

If so, she will be OK, London has lots of bus lanes and traffic jams aren't as bad for buses, she'll still get into london easily.

Perhaps Streetfighter has some suggestions about London Traffic?

Dave

Well lets see,
If the plane lands at 5.00am, it will take about 1 hr to clear passport control, collect cases and clear customs, so that'll be about 6.00 am.
There should be a Heathrow Express bus available at that time of the morning so that should be no problem.
Failing that, the train (underground) should be running. It will be a bit of a pain if she has many bags but it won't be impossible.
I'm sure she's a big girl (not in size) and will be able to look after herself.
The one thing to remember is that there will always be people there to help.
Just get her to ask a policeman or official and she'll be OK.

Mark
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I am sure (hope) she will be OK.

I am in debt to you guys. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I can do, get (Legal, of course) for you guys, please let me know. I can ship it to you.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, she made the plane and she is on her way to your country.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Should be here in a few hours then

Mark
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#29]
She is there, in her room and IM with me, now I can relax.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent, how did she fare getting over London at 5.00am?

Dave
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad to hear she made it safe and well. I hope she enjoys her visit.

cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Great news. Glad it all went well.

Let us know when you're coming over, and if it's possible that you'll be able to 'lose' the family for an afternoon or so, and we might just be able to show you how we shoot ARs in The UK.

Matt
ETA: About that 'stuff' you want to bring over. How much baggage allowance do you get?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great news. Glad it all went well.

Let us know when you're coming over, and if it's possible that you'll be able to 'lose' the family for an afternoon or so, and we might just be able to show you how we shoot ARs in The UK.

Matt
ETA: About that 'stuff' you want to bring over. How much baggage allowance do you get?

Can you send me a Minimi, a M16, a M60, a MK19, a Humvee, a 1911, a M4A1, a Cobra Attack Helicopter (coz I know how to fly one ), a M203 and some jerky and Gatorade,.

Oh, and some marpat pleeeassseee

Mark (your bestest friend honest)
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Can you send me a Minimi, a M16, a M60, a MK19, a Humvee, a 1911, a M4A1, a Cobra Attack Helicopter (coz I know how to fly one ), a M203 and some jerky and Gatorade,.

Oh, and some marpat pleeeassseee

Mark (your bestest friend honest)

May as well go for a Bradley AFV as well!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Forget the rest, just send the peppered jerky.

Matt
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like you guys are starving for some good stuff, seriously, if there is anything you need from here I'll be more than glad to help you.

On the Cobra helicopter, what color do you want, on the Humvee, I found some with D cell batteries or C cell batteries, which ones will make you happy?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
On the Cobra helicopter, what color do you want, on the Humvee, I found some with D cell batteries or C cell batteries, which ones will make you happy?  

Mark
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Just came back from London, we had a GREAT time, the one thing I loved the most were the girls, nice looking girls you guys have there, I must remember to bring a very dark pair of sun glasses the next time I go there, walking around London with my wife and my 2 daughters was risky,

We also went to France to visit some of my wife's relatives and we could not wait to get back to London.

WOW, how do you guys drive in those narrow streets, so fast and going the wrong way,  

I read a report that traveling from France and Germany is down 20%, but from the old USA remains unchanged. I really hope stays that way, Lee, my daughter, after spending 2 months there, made a lot of friends and can't wait to go back, the same for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just came back from London, we had a GREAT time, the one thing I loved the most were the girls, nice looking girls you guys have there, I must remember to bring a very dark pair of sun glasses the next time I go there, walking around London with my wife and my 2 daughters was risky,

We also went to France to visit some of my wife's relatives and we could not wait to get back to London.

WOW, how do you guys drive in those narrow streets, so fast and going the wrong way,  

I read a report that traveling from France and Germany is down 20%, but from the old USA remains unchanged. I really hope stays that way, Lee, my daughter, after spending 2 months there, made a lot of friends and can't wait to go back, the same for the rest of us.

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed yourselves.

If I think about our driving too much, I end up lying awake at night and cannot get to sleep at all, but a few Stellas usually helps (thanks streetfighter for the tip ).

And France... well you wanted to get back so quickly, says it all

Matt
ps Wiley wrap-arounds work for me totall dark, I just keep bumping into things as I walk into shops or shady spots.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

bear3351
I'm so glad you had a terrific time....
I'll do the normal thang....
"this thread is worthless without pics" thing....
How about some holiday snaps....Eyefull Tower etc

I'm so glad your trip was fun and your daughters enjoyed themsleves

Take care

Taffy

ETA

You think London roads are narrow..!!!

You wanna try driving in the lanes in rural Wales...hey guys?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I've never been to Wales without at least one gun in the car. Oh, just once when I went climbing, but I had a big stick!

The roads in Wales are like the rest of the country, very wild. There are reportedly lost tribes of Taffys down some valleys. Sometimes, when the wind is in the right direction, you can hear them singing.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#42]
theres only two things to know about wales... never wear a sheepskin coat, and never go canoeing down there rivers *plays deliverence song*

Im about 20 mins away from north wales, roads are thin and narrow, but great for bikes

I may be visiting london at the end of the month, There roads are massive compared to nrth wales,

Glad you had a good time Bear, Im sure you'd be welcome here anytime,  

James,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top