Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:32:48 AM EDT
I believe from my reading that you are not allowed semi-auto actions and have to use some method of bolt manipulation.  Has anyone tried or used the Ameetec side charging upper?  Are these avaliable to you?
It seems that all you would have to do is remove (never had) the gas tube and it becomes a straight pull action.  I see the advantage being you don't pull into your chin each time.  Maybe the handle could not take the constant use but it still seems like this would be the best starting platform.
If this has been covered before I do apologize.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I cant answer that for you, someone will be able to though !

I'm just posting this link i found to illustrate the point.

Side charging

Steve
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS have made a side charger for some years now, but I have some plans for the Ameetec/VM hy-Tech uppers in the not too distant future

Mark
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Are these side chargers available in the UK then?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
me thinks they are.
the Cactus Arms report in Shooting Sports looks like one and the same. If it's not then it's a pretty damn near copy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The Cactus Arms rifle is just a one-off

It's the same receiver, made by VM Hy-Tech and originally made by Socom Mfg.
Ameetec Arms sell them under their own name.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I cant answer that for you, someone will be able to though !

I'm just posting this link i found to illustrate the point.

Side charging

Steve

The SLR is dead, long live the SLR cocking handle!

ANdy the 'leftie'.

This is why I enquire about this, as I'm also a leftie and that looks comfy to use
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a leftie too...Any more lefties here??
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a leftie, but cock with one hand pull the trigger with the other !!!

Cock, BANG,Cock, BANG,Cock, BANG,Cock, BANG,

Steve
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a leftie (or cack handed)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Without using side charging how long is it before the normal charger naffs up? .....Or can it be reinforced?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Without using side charging how long is it before the normal charger naffs up? .....Or can it be reinforced?

If you stroke it just right it'll last forever.

The biggest problem is stiff extractions and when it does move, the charging handle is forced/pulled back and it hits the stop, hard. If you don't hammer the handle open this is the only way it'll break at the front.

Move the charging handle just far enough to cycle the action and no more. If it's very stiff or even stuck, use the kinetic energy of the carrier to pull the bolt open, never hit the handle (or, like one 'so called' armourer I saw, who tried to rod the stuck case out from the muzzle end)

But if it does break, just get a new one (and if you're very hard on handles, get a steel one).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you stroke it just right it'll last forever.

The biggest problem is stiff extractions and when it does move, the charging handle is forced/pulled back and it hits the stop, hard. If you don't hammer the handle open this is the only way it'll break at the front.

Move the charging handle just far enough to cycle the action and no more. If it's very stiff or even stuck, use the kinetic energy of the carrier to pull the bolt open, never hit the handle (or, like one 'so called' armourer I saw, who tried to rod the stuck case out from the muzzle end)

But if it does break, just get a new one (and if you're very hard on handles, get a steel one).

Do you mean 'just smash the butt on the ground, and the round will pop out'
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do you mean 'just smash the butt on the ground, and the round will pop out'

Do it right and it is a lot better for the rifle than hitting the charging handle!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah use the kinetic energy of the carrier and not the SCOUSE  method we have all seen them use from time to time on the range..............................

Kicking the modified extended cocking  handle, hoping to open the action.

Result.

One broken charge handle, and a red face trying to explain how he's just busted your favourite toy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah use the kinetic energy of the carrier and not the SCOUSE  method we have all seen them use from time to time on the range..............................

Kicking the modified extended cocking  handle, hoping to open the action.

Result.

One broken charge handle, and a red face trying to explain how he's just busted your favourite toy.

MORAL OF THE STOREY - Don't lend your rifles to scousers

(or anyone else if you are really worried about it coming back in a few more pieces)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh i see, pick on us poor scousers now is it ?

I hope you big puffs get robbed at syringe point by a shell suited mother of nine

I'll have you know, i've only seen 17 rifles broke by scousers this year !

Steve
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe we could do a uk poll to see how many southpaw's/cackhanded/lefthanded shooter's that we have on the GB forum?

And I always thought that we were a righthand drive country

Tony.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Cheer's,

I myself am right handed, but my youngest son has started to prefer his left hand for writting and drawing, (he is 6).

While I was still serving I broke my right wrist, (missed something that I was trying to punch). That was back in the 80's and we didn't have computer's back then, so I had to learn to use my left hand. It became funny me being able to write with my left hand, scruffy at first, but by the time the plaster came off it was much better.

Toe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Maybe we could do a uk poll to see how many southpaw's/cackhanded/lefthanded shooter's that we have on the GB forum?

And I always thought that we were a righthand drive country

Tony.

This is true but 2 out of 3 vehicles that I own are LHD....(although they are 'antique')
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top