Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/21/2005 4:25:09 PM EDT
Hey all,

I have a friend who's moving to Mass. Here in WA, he has several "large capacity" firearms. I've been looking at the laws on ma.gov and have a few questions. Once he moves, can he get a Class A license and bring his AWs (Bushmaster XM-15s, Arsenal AKs) into the state? Also, in WA, we can't own MGs. It looks like MA has a provision for this. In practice, how hard is it to get the MG license (he already has a C&R FFL)?

I know this is the same state that brought us Ted Kennedy, but their web site does seem to imply that it's possible with a bunch of hoops.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:06:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2005 4:10:20 AM EDT by LenS]
First my sympathies to your friend!!

Have him join GOAL and check their website for up to date info on our laws. www.goal.org

As long as the AWBs and hi-cap mags are pre-ban, there is no problem here (except if he moved into the City of Boston . . . they have their own AWB ban and special permit requirements) in the rest of PRM.

Licenses here are TOTALLY discretionary and the local chief chooses who is "suitable" and who is not! One town will issue LTC-A/ALP with no problem where another town will refuse to issue anything but LTC-B (minimum for AWB class rifles) that is restricted to target. GOAL can point him to towns that are "friendlier" than others.

MG Licenses are legally available but MANY chiefs will refuse to issue them, and again they have total discretion. For civilians, you must have a C&R FFL to qualify for the MG License, and your reason must be as a "collector". Within the past month I know one police officer (gun enthusiast with C&R FFL) who was turned down by his own chief when he applied for a MG License. His chief just won't issue them to anyone.

This is NOT gun-friendly territory and he must join a gun club to go shooting, as we have no sandpits and mountains to just go to for practice! [I've shot with some of the local guys/gals in the Cascades before (thanks to Tweak) and I envy you folks!] A LTC is REQUIRED for possession of guns, ammo, mags, or components in MA. It is a more serious felony here to not have all your guns locked up than it is to murder someone.

If he can move to NH, he'd be a LOT BETTER OFF! CCW requires a simple permit that cost residents $10 and takes ~1 week to get there, possession or purchase only requires a DL. In MA it will probably take him 3-6 months to get his first permit (must take a course with MA Certified instructor, then fill out paperwork and wait, and wait, and wait). Most handguns are NOT for sale in MA, due to our requirements for approval and certifications (no Taurus, Colts, H&Ks, Glocks, etc.).
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:26:34 PM EDT
There IS a town range on Cape Cod near Sandwich/Barnstable (exit 4 off of Route 3 headed towards Hyannis) that only charges $35 or $65 a year I think to use the range - just an option for those who dont want to join a regular club with the high cost of membership.

All guns must be in compliance with the 1994 AW Ban as Mass's AW Ban mirrors the Federal Ban.

(I got a preban Colt M4gery for sale if anyone is interested - sorry shameless plug )
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:26:48 PM EDT
If he gets an LTC-A, can he have no-ban AWs?

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:31:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BoB-O:
If he gets an LTC-A, can he have no-ban AWs?


No.With all the killings lately in MA done by people with bayonets and collapsible stocks,they are pretty much outlawed.Unless of course you have a pre-ban weapon.

It's basically like the AWB never expired for us.We can only own pre-ban hi-caps etc....with the proper LTC of course.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:38:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BoB-O:
If he gets an LTC-A, can he have no-ban AWs?


Yeah - in Massachusetts - no-bans are illegal firearms and they will prosecute it as a felony - his best bet is to move just across the border into New Hampshire and commute to work in Massachusetts - I do it every day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:27:27 PM EDT
tag just in case I missed something.

Advise against "license preparation services" offered by MA attorneys. IM for details.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:11:37 AM EDT
If your friend wants to get into Class 3 weapons, then he needs to be very careful about choosing a town to live in. As LenS outlined, it is completely up to the Chief to determine if you will get a license and what weapons the license will cover.

If you are able to jump the first hurdle and you do get signoff from your Chief, then you must be a bona fide collector or a firearms instructor. The latest interpretation is that a bona fide collector must have a Federal C&R and a firearms instructor must have taught a class with the MA State Police. Both of these interpretations / explanations were given to me less than a year ago when I renewed my Machine Gun License. If you get licensed, then your license will be limited based on the 'bona fide collector' or 'instructor'. Interestingly enough my license says "All Lawful Purposes" as the Reason for Issue.

Towns that are Class 3 friendly are typically found in the Western part of the MA, although I have had positive experiences in Westboro and Holden. I've heard positive reviews in Southboro, but you don't hear much since almost every Chief will tell you to keep your mouth shut and your nose clean or he will yank your license. The last thing a CLEO wants is negative publicity about a citizen that was given a license to possess a machine gun!

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:08:07 PM EDT
Slight correction:

To qualify for a MG License in MA, you MUST be either a C&R FFL holder OR a MPTC (Mass Police Training Council) Firearms Instructor. Civilians are not allowed to teach firearms at the MPTC academies, only police officers. In fact, once a police officer (who was such an instructor) retires, they are dropped from the academy and can no longer teach there. This info came to me from a retired LEO who was such an instructor until his retirement.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:15:08 AM EDT
If he gets an LTC-A, he can have pre-94 stuff. Think of it as if the ban never sunset here.

Also, there is something called a 'restrictred A'. That basically means you can possess/transport, but not CCW.

Have him research which town he wants to live in before he decides where to move. www.goal.org and I think packing.org has a list too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:56:25 PM EDT
Can one get an LTC-A without being a resident of MA?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:50:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BoB-O:
Can one get an LTC-A without being a resident of MA?


Yes, but it will be a Non-Resident LTC-A, if hes moving he may be able to apply for a Resident LTC-A provided he will be living here within a month or two. But I would ask the CLEO of the city hes moving to for a real answer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:06:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 9:06:34 AM EDT by LenS]
Last I knew a NR LTC took as much as 6 months to get issued. Resident LTCs take 1-4 months depending on where you apply, the phase of the moon, whose budget gets cut, etc.

He'd probably be a resident before he ever saw his NR LTC and it becomes INVALID once he moves here and he's got to go thru the Resident LTC app all over again. LTCs are NOT-transferable if you move in/out! And every app (new or renewal) is processed just like you never had one before.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:38:31 AM EDT
packing.org may help him with the towns. Look for the green ones as they are pretty accurate, at least for mine. Got my Class A LTC ALP in about 3 weeks time. I may live in Mass, but I am at least fortunate to live in a gun friendly town.

And talk to a FFL in the state or talk with goal. I had some trouble bringing in my AR from out of state because it was in pawn.

I can't wait to be able to leave the state, if I can, wouldn't mind NH.
Top Top