Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 10:24:44 AM EDT
I just recently found out that Quantico is allowing their gun club members access to shoot large caliber rifles at range 4 this Sunday.  9am-1pm.  The plan is to start close at 200 yards, get on paper and work backwards towards 1000.   More info can be found on their website.  www.quanticoshootingclub.com

Guess I finally get to tryout my AR50 at a distance target.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait....you mean you can actually shoot that thing more than 200 yards!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Surprisingly, I was just going to post about this.  I belong to QSC but haven't shot there for rec-fire yet.  And I don't own a .50 but I was think about heading down this Sunday to shoot on Range 1.  

7 are you going?  I will definitely have to stop by and check out the big guns.

Here's the schedule.

Sunday, 22 November

Range One:  1100-1500  
   RSOs Armistead & Degraffenreid(.308 caliber and below ballistic equivalent only!)

Range Four: 0900-1500      
   RSO Roderick.  (.50 caliber BMG OK!)
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been a member for around 2-3 years and have never shot there.  They only have range 1 (0-300 yards) open on some weekends and various hours.  Since you are also a member, you know.   Anyway,  not being able to shoot 50bmg or MG's there always pissed me off.  Glad to have a chance to fire my 50 there.

Yes, I will be there before 9am.  Look for the Lefty Green AR50 and that will be me.  I'll also probably be shooting the ants in the dirt 50 yards infront of the target.

I emailed the RO and he said other calibers are ok, he just doesn't want someone shooting 22lr at range 4.  Not sure about 5.56 either.  I asked about 7mm and My M1 Garand.  Said ok to both.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wait....you mean you can actually shoot that thing more than 200 yards!!

What is the maximum range of the .50 Cal (firing the M2 Ball)? 6,764 meters

What is the maximum effective range of the .50 Cal? 1,830 meters (area shot)
1,500 meters (single shot) I have 3 different rifles in 50 cal. Nasty evil results on impact

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
He's just joking because he's never seen me fire it past 150 yards.  In fact, the farthest I've probably ever shot is 200 yards.   This is gonna be interesting.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He's just joking because he's never seen me fire it past 150 yards.  In fact, the farthest I've probably ever shot is 200 yards.   This is gonna be interesting.

LOL, well you should have fun on the range then. I know how hard it is to find somewhere to open up a ma duce; I go to a farm down in Blackstone and let it go. Barrett sent me a bulletin and now they are offering ammo for 50bmg, may have to order some to try out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#7]
That was fun.  Only about 9 people were there today, not counting a spectator or two.  We first shot from 200 yards out.  Then we went back to 600 yards.  It took a shot or two and then I was on paper.  My scope really sucks at 600 yards, and so does the spotting "Telescope" I was using.  Mirage big time.  They were moving back to 1000 when I left.   I kept thinking what a great range that would be for a large machinegun shoot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That was fun.  Only about 9 people were there today, not counting a spectator or two.  We first shot from 200 yards out.  Then we went back to 600 yards.  It took a shot or two and then I was on paper.  My scope really sucks at 600 yards, and so does the spotting "Telescope" I was using.  Mirage big time.  They were moving back to 1000 when I left.   I kept thinking what a great range that would be for a large machinegun shoot.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it out.....I felt like shit last night and early this AM when the alarm went off........why didn't you stay for 1000yds???
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
600, 1000 whats the diff.    I left because we ran out of Tannerite to shoot.     While shooting at that distance is fun, it nowhere compares to blasting away with MG's.  IMHO.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm bumming I missed it.  But doggie healthcare issues arose this a.m.  She'll probably end up having a very nice rifle's worth of ligament surgery this week.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
This is exspensive but a blast Find a old rock quarry and get a few 20 pound LP bottles filled and shoot them with tracers at 500 yards or more, what a sound it does make.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Where can one do that in VA?  Must be down in the southwest part of the state.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is exspensive but a blast Find a old rock quarry and get a few 20 pound LP bottles filled and shoot them with tracers at 500 yards or more, what a sound it does make.

Funny i saw some posts from someone that said he did the same thing and got a torch out of the hole and a lot of flames but no explosion.  Have you done this yourself?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Never did see that post, but not an original idea of mine. My first BMG shooting partner turned me onto it out in Yuma, all shots produced different results. The best was to paint the bottles black and let them set out for a day in the dessert sun, full. Then go out and have a crack at them, we had one that went off like a small explosion. Some bottles just flamed up and vented all gas in a fire cloud, one even rolled around spitting flaming gas like a dragon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top