Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:17:28 PM EDT
someone in the world wide web told me that being in cali the handgun will have to come back to an FFL and be reregistered. ive sent a few pistols back to their factories and had them sent right back to my house but that was years ago. wondering if things have changed, ive also been told that ups now charges over $50 to ship a handgun. can anyone confirm this here say?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You can ship them direct to any licensed manufacturer, gunsmith, machinist, refinishing place and have them ship it direct back to your door.

Only problem is shipping - generally UPS or FedEX overnight, and they can sometimes be little whiney bitches about it. Oh, and go to a hub to ship - it's cheaper, and generally policy that the retail centers not accept firearms. You DO need to declare that a handgun is inside the package. I recommend declaring it as "unloaded, handgun and parts," it's given me the least trouble.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
someone in the world wide web told me that being in cali the handgun will have to come back to an FFL and be reregistered.

Someone told you wrong.  As long as the handgun is legally registered to you, then you can ship directly to the manufacturer or a gunsmith and have them ship it directly back to you.

A few points:

1. It's best to ship the handgun by overnight service, rather than having the package sitting in some warehouse for any period of time with idle minds wondering what's in the package labeled to Springfield Armory.  

2. Be discrete with your labels.  Rather than shipping to Springfield Armory, send it to SA, INC.  

3. Put at least three labels on the package.  UPS employees have been known to overlabel a package and have it rerouted to another address.

4. Ship it in a package large enough to make it difficult for someone to slip it into a backpack or gym bag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I also think you can legally ship it to a manufacturer.

I would also suggest putting on string tag on the gun attached to the trigger guard with your address & phone number.

Also wrap the thing very securely. In a Magna-Port brochure they said sometimes they receive guns with the barrel sticking out.  Guns are very heavy for its size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top