Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/3/2003 2:18:47 AM EST
Can I (as a MD resident) purchase a pistol in PA? I think I read where I can purchase a rifle in an adjoining state, but I didn't know about pistols. Also, if I can, does the pistol still have to conform to the Commie constraints this state has placed on handguns?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:09:14 AM EST
No you cannot walk into a PA (or any other state's) gunshop buy a handgun and walk out with it.

You could pay for it and have it shipped to a MD FFL and HE (the MD FFL) would do the transfer.

Federal law dictates you may only purchase handgun in your state of residance - long gun purchases are allowed in other states providing the laws of your state and the other state allow it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:27:25 AM EST
I suspected as much, but needed to verify.

Thanks for the info Forest.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:19:53 AM EST
One more question about the retarded restrictions on handguns...

Do they only apply to new handguns? If I buy a used pistol, do I still need to meet the restrictions?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:49:03 AM EST
Depends on the date it was manufactured. Maryland has 2 dumb laws. The trigger lock and the "finger printing". You used to be able to have the MSP come and fire your new gun to get the casing but they now make you have it from the factory. So long as the gun was here in MD before that law took effect you'd be ok. But only NEW handguns that comply with the trigger lock can come into MD. For example Berettas don't have the lock on them so you can't buy a new Beretta here in MD. I believe this is the correct info.

When I was at my FFL the other week he informed me that most new 1911's can be modified somehow to be compliant(I forget what exactly he said) so that they can be transfered in Md.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:53:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 9:54:12 AM EST by 9supercomp]
Here is the deal with used handguns - If it was manufactured before 01/01/2003, you can purchase it and have it sent to a MD FFL for paperwork. It does not have to have a shell casing with it since it is used. If it was made since 1985 it must be on the handgun roster. If the handgun does not have an external lock with it you will have to buy one from your FFL.

As for the 1911 internal locking devices - Springfield makes one that is in the mainspring housing (very easy to change out). The problem comes from the other manufacturers. They will not honor their guarantee if you change out the mainspring housing. It's a liability issue.

There are several other approved devices that can be added to a handgun to make it comply with the law, but require drilling into the trigger guard to install. Once again this voids factory warrantees.
A lot of the distributors have been told by the manufacturers not to send their guns without internal locking devices to Maryland dealer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:39:15 AM EST
I have had a few pistols transferred into MD. Have the person you are buying from include a signed statement that it is a used gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:57:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By vote_republican:
I have had a few pistols transferred into MD. Have the person you are buying from include a signed statement that it is a used gun.

Thats a good idea, also maybe have that statement notorized too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:31:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 9:33:39 AM EST by Cerebus]
Proving it's used does me no good. What I want was manufactured this year and there's no internal lock. I was trying to find away around this, but it doesn't look promising.

<edit> I have a way of "making" a pistol used. I'd let my brother in VA buy it, then buy it from him. But of course, that doesn't help with the bogus internal lock requirement.
Top Top