Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:33:35 PM EDT
Anyone know if it requires going to an FFL holder to have a handgun officially transferred for a private sale between individuals? I checked the NRA laws site and couldn't find anything about it. I was at a gun shop today and asked them how much they would charge me to do a transfer for a private sale. The guy there starts telling me that isn't necessary, just get a copy of his driver's license, date and time sold, serial number, and anything else I could think of and do the private sale, said he had done it a number of times.
Now I'm in the military, and originally from Pennsylvania. I've never sold a handgun to a private individual before, but I thought it had to be transferred. I called the local Sheriff's office to ask them, but no one is there at the moment.
Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Now, I'm in Texas and not Georgia, but my understanding is that doing a face to face sell is easy.  One brings money.  The other brings the guns and viola.  Yea, getting name, DL# and serial number might be a good idea for CYA purposes, but I don't even think that's necessary.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand and as has been my personal experience, transactions between private individuals do not require the assistance of an FFL holder.   When I sold one of my handguns a couple years ago, all I did was draw up a bill of sale (with a thorough description of the gun) and have the guy list all of his contact info and sign and date it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#3]
This is off the ATF website. You must both be residents of the same state to sell and also meet any state or local laws.

(B17) What recordkeeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction? [Back]

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. As noted in FAQs B1 and B2, which are posted on this Web site in the "Firearms" section, a private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are "same-State" residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S. C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

For information about any State or local regulations that may govern this type of transaction, it is advisable to contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a gun from a private person who resides in another State, the gun will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See FAQ B3 (Firearms).

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Key words, both seller and buyer reside in the same state...no FFL, and only whatever paperwork you feel necessary is required....you can just take the money and run if you choose, but a SMART seller who sells to someone unknown to him will get and keep a receipt.  
If we run a trace on a gun, it will come back to the original buyer on the 4473.  It is nice, depending on how the firearm was used, if the innocent ORIGINAL buyer of the firearms can show that he sold it to some dude......
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice, but not necessary or required. Not certain I would even call it stupid not to. Satisfy the requirements of the law and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]
So, whatcha buying or selling?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

This isn't the EE, pal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

This isn't the EE, pal.

Yeah, right...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, right...[rolleys]

Obviously not the spelling class, either.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, right...

Obviously not the spelling class, either.

Smart asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Better?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Do a bill of sale.....and have it signed by both parties just to be on the safe side incase the gun is ever used in a crime. Not required but smart IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top