Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2009 11:38:02 AM EDT
I recieved a property notification letter in the mail stating that my stolen Glock 23 from 11months ago has been recovered. I call the number listed and begin a long process of phone tag, to which no one I've spoken with has any idea and continues to give me phone #'s the last one ended up giving me a phone number that turned out to be a fax number.

How do I get my Glock back or do I just say screw it the police have it and are going to destroy it no matter what.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't think they would call and let you know if they didn't plan to return it. As bad as they are, they aren't New Orleans.

I would go to the main barracks. Ask the desk Sargeant.

How did it get stolen?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
It was taken from my truck in my DRIVEWAY. I reported it stolen to the local sheriffs dept. almost a year ago then I get a letter from the P.G.C. police but when I call the number I get transfered until either disconnected or given a BS phone number.

on top of that the people I spoke to tell me it may have been recovered from a crime and I may never get it back..... why even send a letter??
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you will get a call and a lawsuit when your firearm harms someone else.
We all have a responsibility to keep our firearms out of bad guys' hands.
Man up, all!.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think you will get a call and a lawsuit when your firearm harms someone else.
We all have a responsibility to keep our firearms out of bad guys' hands.
Man up, all!.

Yes because it is never the criminals fault. Man I sure hope no one gets hurt by my stolen car.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I would assume that they have sent you the letter to inform you it was recovered and you can get it back, but possibly they might be required by law to inform you they have recovered it.  I wonder what kind of crime it was involved in, and how that affects if you will get it back or not.  I hope it's still in decent condition...  probably not (scratched up serial #), but wishful thinking is always nice.

If needed, they can forward it to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Roberto L. Hylton
Chief of Police
7600 Barlowe Road
Landover, Maryland 20785
301-772-4420
[email protected]

If you are getting the run around, start at the top.  The Chief will probably never see your request, but his staff will get it to the right person and follow up to make sure it gets done.  I bet a supervisor gets back to you in no time.  

Your gun was involved in a crime.  It was stolen.  If their policy is like most Departments, you'll have to fill out a form so that a background check can be performed before it is returned.  If the case goes to trial, you'll be asked to appear, though you are under no obligation to do so.  Whether they keep it or not for court depends on the circumstances of the recovery.  In most cases, the item is photographed and returned to the owner.  Use in a violent crime will delay it's release.  

Act now.  Most agencies set a time limit.  Weapons that are not needed for court are usually destroyed 60-90 days later.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My FIL is retired PG Co. PD.  I asked him for some better POC's for you.

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My FIL is retired PG Co. PD.  I asked him for some better POC's for you.

Stay tuned.

He is. I've seen the black lab targets.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I recieved a property notification letter in the mail stating that my stolen Glock 23 from 11months ago has been recovered. I call the number listed and begin a long process of phone tag, to which no one I've spoken with has any idea and continues to give me phone #'s the last one ended up giving me a phone number that turned out to be a fax number.

How do I get my Glock back or do I just say screw it the police have it and are going to destroy it no matter what.

My FIL said he could help you out a bit...but he needs to know whom you are calling and at what number?  PM me the info and I will pass it along to him to for him to search for you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top