Are preban uzi carbines legal in ny?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
With a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With a 16" barrel.

That's what I thought. So I'd still be good to go with the collapsible stock, correct?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a 16" barrel.

That's what I thought. So I'd still be good to go with the collapsible stock, correct?

its PRE BAN.... collapsible stock, bayo lug, and any other evil feature.......YES!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
With that 16" bbl it looks like hell but they shoot well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With that 16" bbl it looks like hell but they shoot well.

I hate the idea of a 16" barrel on an uzi but maybe, hopefully, if I escape from NY to a pro-gun state I could SBR it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just seen one for sale, but it also came with a "display barrel".
Think it was a pluged pistol barrel.
Would be a nice extra to have on hand for "show and tell".
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i was looking for one earlier this month.. can we buy one with a barrel shorter than 16" and count it as a handgun?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i was looking for one earlier this month.. can we buy one with a barrel shorter than 16" and count it as a handgun?

Maybe with no stock, and if it's under the required weight limit.

Then again, I don't have my permit, so I really don't know.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's preban, the weight limit doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's preban, the weight limit doesn't matter.

I wasn't quoting the OP, and I didn't know if peteinnewyork's find was pre-ban as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are preban Uzi handguns out there, however you can't take a carbine and remove the stock and count it as a pistol.  If the receiver was originally classified as a rifle, it can't be changed to a pistol.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are preban Uzi handguns out there, however you can't take a carbine and remove the stock and count it as a pistol.  If the receiver was originally classified as a rifle, it can't be changed to a pistol.

as long as it CAN accept a buttstock and meets the OAL length requirement as well as the 16inch barrel requirement, it should be fine without a buttstock.

AKs are fine without buttstocks by like 1/2  /  3/4 of an inch, depends on model.   If I recall.   (again as long as the tang is intact and it can ACCEPT a buttstock).
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

as long as it CAN accept a buttstock and meets the OAL length requirement as well as the 16inch barrel requirement, it should be fine without a buttstock.

AKs are fine without buttstocks by like 1/2  /  3/4 of an inch, depends on model.   If I recall.   (again as long as the tang is intact and it can ACCEPT a buttstock).

Right, but he was asking about using a barrel length shorter than 16" and turning what was already classified as a rifle receiver into a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but he was asking about using a barrel length shorter than 16" and turning what was already classified as a rifle receiver into a pistol.

just adding
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I hada preban Uzi that I sold to a guy somewere else in NYS. I called a FFL near him to make sure it was ok locally and was told NO. That it was considered a PISTOL because it accepted PISTOL magazines and had a folding stock. So I called another FFL and we had a good laugh. You are good to go. Now im trying to find another UZI to buy.
Top Top