Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 5:29:20 PM EDT
Need to know a few things from Tenn Residents:
I already know that we (Texas) have Reciprocity w/ Handgun License (CHL) carry.
My questions are about Rifles. Can I bring a rifle with me while traveling to Tenn?
What do the laws state about rifle carry in Tenn and is this do-able? Tenn folk (in the know) please chime in.....

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You may carry a long gun in your vehicle, as long as it remains unloaded.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
what he said.

although, i doubt you'll have a problem anyway- pretty friendly state
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
So what would be the case if I were traveling in a Suburban (i.e., No Trunk).
I'm not trying to get technical but I do want to bring a rifle and do it under conditions condusive (sp?) to the laws of Tenn.

In Texas we have an open carry rifle / shotgun law.  Doesn't matter if it is loaded or unloaded.
Pistols are concealed carry only w/ a license.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep the rifle in the case and you will be alright.  Just make sure that it is also hidden from sight.  The last thing you want is to come out to your truck to see that your window has been busted out and the rifle is gone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys, HE HAS A VALID, RECOGNIZEABLE PERMIT.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, THAT means that he CAN carry a loaded rifle on his person or in his vehicle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys, HE HAS A VALID, RECOGNIZEABLE PERMIT.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, THAT means that he CAN carry a loaded rifle on his person or in his vehicle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

our carry permits are HANDGUN carry permits, not FIREARM or WEAPON carry permits.

So....can you carry an AR that was 4473'ed as a pistol?

I was under the impression that it was a concelaed WEAPON permit, even though it says 'handgun' on the card.

Seriously, that was the understanding from the CCW class.

I can't access packing.org from work. What do they say?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The law as I understand it as 'reciprocity' is concerned deals exclusively with handguns.  As per the CHL (concealed handgun license).  My end goal here is to travel to Tenn w/ Pistol (covered already in that area) and a Rifle (still would like a little more clarity).  Sounds as if I just need to do it Tennessee's way and carry w/ ammo sepereated from said rifle.  Texas rifle carry laws dont require the weapon to be unloaded.

packing.org doesn't really cover rifles in the Tennessee section.
It covers knives and prohibited weapons but really says nothing about rifles : (
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a technicality on the Handgun Carry Permit. By Law, it's not required to be concealed, thus the Tennessee permit is not called a Concealed permit. However, it's prudent to do so, since Law Enforcement can be a little fuzzy on the actual law.

I've always carried my ammo in a zippered range bag and my rifle in a case. Even if they're both in the same compartment, they're in separate containers, which *should* be an adequate defense if you're ever charged for having the weapon and ammunition together. East Tennessee and rural law enforcement don't usually get too excited if they see a firearm, but the big city cops can be a little stuffy. As mentioned before, Memphis is best avoided if possible. I consider the probablility of having to defend myself in most of Memphis to be at least ten times higher than in the bad parts of Nashville.

Before you come, you might thing about getting printouts of various matches throughout the state since there isn't a weekend out of the year when there isn't some kind of match going on; and travelling to or from a match or hunting is a positive defense for posession, provided you're legally allowed to have the firearm to begin with.

It's been a running joke in most of the state for years that "I don't need a Carry Permit, I've got a Hunting License." :)

Usual disclaimers apply, IANALAIDSAAHILN. :P

Tachyon
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've always carried my ammo in a zippered range bag and my rifle in a case.

+1

Ive pulled them out to show LEOs (freinds) and none said anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#14]
It was stressed in my class that it was a Handgun only permit and if you had a permit and were caught with a rifle you were breaking the law.

You won't have any trouble traveling with your rifle in the case.  Just dont have it loaded and if you get pulled over for some reason don't POPO (piss off police officer) and you wont have any problems.  I would take Shoot-N-Scoot and Tachyon's advice and keep your ammo in a range bag or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It was stressed in my class that it was a Handgun only permit and if you had a permit and were caught with a rifle you were breaking the law.

If that is the case, I suppose I was wrong.

I wonder if that part was added/interpreted/whatever at the request of TWRA to help stick poachers?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My guess is the lawmakers didn't want guys walking around with AR's slung across their chest at the local mall. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My guess is the lawmakers didn't want guys walking around with AR's slung across their chest at the local mall. Makes sense.

Well there goes my idea.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well there goes my idea.

Slow down, man - you can still build an AR pistol and carry it, no?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not to me. Id feel more safe if I saw a guy on aisle 15 of Kroger had a shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well there goes my idea.

There goes my dream of wearing a loaded tactical vest with an AR slung across a gun rack on the back of my wheelchair!  

Robert
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I emailed the TFA with this very questionand this is the response I recieved:

Your Communication:
Does a TN Handgun Carry Permit allow an individual carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in their vehicle?

thanks

TFA Response:
No.  We have introduced legislation to convert the handgun permit to a "weapons" or "firearms" permit as many states have adopted but there is a great deal of resistence to the proposal from the Democrats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The TFA Response is not, nor should be construed as, legal advice.
You are responsible for compliance with all applicable local, state
and federal laws.

End of Message.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I emailed the TFA with this very questionand this is the response I recieved:

Your Communication:
Does a TN Handgun Carry Permit allow an individual carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in their vehicle?

thanks

TFA Response:
No.  We have introduced legislation to convert the handgun permit to a "weapons" or "firearms" permit as many states have adopted but there is a great deal of resistence to the proposal from the Democrats.

The TFA Response is not, nor should be construed as, legal advice.
You are responsible for compliance with all applicable local, state
and federal laws.

End of Message.

Thanks!

Meantime, arowneragain schemes of a way to afford an AR pistol.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top