Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:59:37 PM EDT
I'm going to be back in Michigan for a few days next week (Moved south 16 years ago.)

Is there a range or a place to shoot in the St. Clair Shores-Warren-Troy area these days?  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Double action in madison heights, its on dequinder, fifty yard indoor rifle and 75 feet of pistol
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
12 and Gratiot.....the shit hole known as Peters.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
12 and Gratiot.....the shit hole known as Peters.

LOLOL I can't believe Peter's is still there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, it is still there and probably looks exactly the same as it did when you left....except for a few more holes in the celing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a google check on Peter's and Giacolone, a guy involved in the Jimmy Hoffa disappearance, bought a shotgun from Peters in 1975. Yeah, 21 years later it's still there.

Double Action is very expensive, about $15/hour.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah yes, Mr. Giacolone.....he used to come into the hardware store I worked at breifly in Marine City. Seemed like a nice man....always had his "friend" with him when he came in. I recall a story from my brother that worked at this store too....seemes one time Mr.  Giacolone came in to pay on his account and gave the cash to one of the lumber desk guys, Tom, to put toward his balance.....well Tom forgot to do it or there was a mixup in billing or something and Mr.  Giacolone came back pretty upset a few days later.....with his "friend" of course. Tom was scrambling trying to find out what happened.....see Mr. Giacolone did not like the idea that someone may have tried to screw him. In the end it was a simple mix up and Mr.  Giacolone's "friend" did not have to go have a talk with Tom out in a corn field or anything. Kind of funny really looking back on it now but I guess stuff like that could get serious....you know, to a business man.

Also had a friend who's dad knew him, did plumbing work for him out on the farm and bought or traded for a few cars from him.
There is my brush with fame, sad really.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
If anyone else knows of a decently priced and very good place to shoot in the same area (SE MI, Macomb county, Oakland County) that does not require $150-$600/year annual memberships, please post the info.

So far:
Double Action, quite expensive and the guys running that shop are asswipes ($50 for a FFL transfer, PLUS 6%, $15/hour to shoot)

Peter's, apparently a shithole with inadequate indoor air ventilation, $9.50/hour. indoor 15 yd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]

So far:
Double Action, quite expensive and the guys running that shop are asswipes ($50 for a FFL transfer, PLUS 6%, $15/hour to shoot)

+1 on the asswipes, but its $20/hr for the rifle range and $15/hr for the pistol range.  I stopped going there several months ago because they wouldn't let my son shoot there even though he shot there before.  Can't be consistant on their rules.  Its more like, whatever the hell they feel like at that particular minute... Screw 'em :)  I'm glad I joined a private club!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Double Action's nice enough.

If you Google "Double Action Madison Heights MI" you should be able to find their website with hours, directions and whatnot.

Aside from one minor incident with the management (and the little bald range Nazi guy that just looooves pushing people around on the range) I really like the place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#10]
There is target sports over on woodward south of 13 on the east side of the road. Pistol only, and not as nice as double action, but it is a bit cheaper last I checked.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yea, it is still there and probably looks exactly the same as it did when you left....except for a few more holes in the celing.

Yea, and they still let you shoot any way you want. I don't go at their busy periods. They won't come running out like a wild man to the range if you rip off a mag full or string a few shots together or practice for IPSC like the asshats at Double Action where I would never spend any money. They are the same fucks that up until not too long ago wouldn't allow CCW carry in a GUN RANGE for gods sake. They can kiss my ass. I prefer to shoot outdoors in the warmer months for free on state land when ever possible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Aside from one minor incident with the management (and the little bald range Nazi guy that just looooves pushing people around on the range) I really like the place.

i fucking hate that asshole, and there is another one that just as bad, stocky guy with dark brown buzz cut and mustache friggin bastage

i was in the range, it was half full, the lane i was in was next to a 45 shooter. his brass kept hitting me in the head, so i go out like 5 minutes into my time and ask if i can change lanes, he says "No", no? i say, his reponse "we're too busy" ??????? 1 lane is 1 lane wtf?!?!

i will spend no more money there unless in the winter i really really really want to shoot my rifle, its either Petes for 10 buck an hour (really as long as you want as long as its not busy) or to huron point for rifle. 11 bucks all day 100 yard out doors.

bad about Huron is they dont like u loading more than 5 rounds, slow fire from bench for rifles.

if i wanna do some real shooting then id go to blue water, friend is a member, or the pit for the really fun times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If anyone else knows of a decently priced and very good place to shoot in the same area (SE MI, Macomb county, Oakland County) that does not require $150-$600/year annual memberships, please post the info.

So far:

Those morons are worse than asswipes. They are total scam artists! I asked the old fat guy that runs the place if you needed to take another CCW class in order to renew your CCW. He tells me that you do have to take another class and hands me info on their CCW course. Fat bastard....  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So far:

Those morons are worse than asswipes. They are total scam artists! I asked the old fat guy that runs the place if you needed to take another CCW class in order to renew your CCW. He tells me that you do have to take another class and hands me info on their CCW course. Fat bastard....  

Ummm...

Am I missing something? You ask if you needed to take another class and when he said yes and offered you a flyer on theirs?

The gall of that man!  

(help me out here )
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
You do not have to take another class to renew a permit. You do need to say that you have been shooting though. You do not need a formal class unless you are renwing a license that was issued prior to July 1, 2001.

Concealed Pistol Permit Renewal Information

1. A license to carry a concealed pistol is valid for five (5) years.

2. An application is considered a renewal if the applicant has received a concealed pistol license under compliance of the training requirements set forth in the Act after July 1, 2001.

3. A CCW license is renewed in the same manner as the original license, including fingerprints  (see Application Information).  The cost for a renewal license is $105.

4. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol before July 1, 2001, may carry the concealed pistol under that license until the license expires or the individual’s authority to carry the concealed pistol is otherwise terminated, whichever comes first.

* Must complete pistol safety training course if renewing for the first time after July 1, 2001.*

5. For an individual licensed after July 1, 2001, and subsequently applying for a renewal:

* Pistol safety training course is not required
       * Applicant shall present a statement signed by the applicant certifying that he/she has:

* Completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course since receiving his/her license and that the review included firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application.

So yes he was trying to screw you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You do not have to take another class to renew a permit. You do need to say that you have been shooting though. You do not need a formal class unless you are renwing a license that was issued prior to July 1, 2001.

2. An application is considered a renewal if the applicant has received a concealed pistol license under compliance of the training requirements set forth in the Act after July 1, 2001.

3. A CCW license is renewed in the same manner as the original license, including fingerprints  (see Application Information).  The cost for a renewal license is $105.

4. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol before July 1, 2001, may carry the concealed pistol under that license until the license expires or the individual’s authority to carry the concealed pistol is otherwise terminated, whichever comes first.

* Must complete pistol safety training course if renewing for the first time after July 1, 2001.*

5. For an individual licensed after July 1, 2001, and subsequently applying for a renewal:

* Applicant shall present a statement signed by the applicant certifying that he/she has:

* Completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course since receiving his/her license and that the review included firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application.

Yes, he was trying to screw me, macman! Coverdog just outlined what needs to be done for renewal. I hope this helps everybody else save a few dollars!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is target sports over on woodward south of 13 on the east side of the road. Pistol only, and not as nice as double action, but it is a bit cheaper last I checked.

When I called target sports (couple months ago) they informed me that they do have a couple rifle lanes and whatever type of ammo your firearm takes, you have to buy from them.  You can't bring ammo.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, he was trying to screw me, macman! Coverdog just outlined what needs to be done for renewal. I hope this helps everybody else save a few dollars!

So noted. Things have changed since I got my CCW - mine's only good for 3 years!

Wait a second- What does "Completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course since receiving his/her license and that the review included firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application" mean then? Sounds like an audit (sit-through) of a CCW training class to me.

I need to go pick up another info packet from the Macomb county jail.   A lot has changed in just 2.5 years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#19]
In order to renew, your original training certificate must say:

"this course complies with section 57 of 1927 PA 372."

Otherwise you need to take the class again and it wouldn't be considered a "renewal" it would be a "new" CPL.

If you have the 3 year permit, you can't renew. (unless your certificate states the above). They want you to start out fresh with the new class and new laws.

The people who went through the CPL class for the 5 year permit are the ones required to sign an affidavit that they have "completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course since receiving his/her license and that the review included firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application."

This does not mean you need to pay for a refresher course. Only that you have reviewed your course materials and had range time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In order to renew, your original training certificate must say:

"this course complies with section 57 of 1927 PA 372."

Otherwise you need to take the class again and it wouldn't be considered a "renewal" it would be a "new" CPL.

If you have the 3 year permit, you can't renew. (unless your certificate states the above). They want you to start out fresh with the new class and new laws.

The people who went through the CPL class for the 5 year permit are the ones required to sign an affidavit that they have "completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course since receiving his/her license and that the review included firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application."

This does not mean you need to pay for a refresher course. Only that you have reviewed your course materials and had range time.

Good info, thanks. I'll check my certificate for that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1 on the asswipes, but its $20/hr for the rifle range and $15/hr for the pistol range.  I stopped going there several months ago because they wouldn't let my son shoot there even though he shot there before.  Can't be consistant on their rules.  Its more like, whatever the hell they feel like at that particular minute... Screw 'em :)  I'm glad I joined a private club!

I stopped going there about 2 years ago. I got yelled at for not counting 1 second in between shots. I wasn't rapid firing by any streach of the imagination, just the guy was being a dick. Then 15 minutes later, a guy comes in and unloads 4 loaded 30 rounders faster then I could pull the trigger. I mean, it was almost full auto. I packed my stuff, walked out. I said "WHAT THE HELL!?!" All they said was, he is an employee and they get to do what they want when they want. So I said fine, you will never get my business again. Not to mention they are nutz with some of their prices. "Oh but you get a membership with that rediculouse price." Wooopdydooo. I shoot at Pete's and by from Michi-gun. That will never change.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top