Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 8:32:12 PM EDT
I have a friend in L.A. wanting a .50 Desert Eagle, are they legal there? I was thinking maybe they got the .50AE lumped in with the .50BMG ban.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question.  Doesn't matter if it's legal or not.  The law that passed in L.A. City doesn't prohibit one from buying the gun outside city limits and bringing it back to one's home within the city.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Good question.  Doesn't matter if it's legal or not.  The law that passed in L.A. City doesn't prohibit one from buying the gun outside city limits and bringing it back to one's home within the city.

Since all private party transfers are illegal in Cali how would this be done? Does he get a dealer outside the city limits to do the transfer and hold it the waiting period? Was the ban in L.A. city or is it the whole county?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Anywhere outside of the city limits, which does extend some distance.  Any incorporated city can process the transfer, or any store outside of the city limits and residing in the county.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Private party transfers are not illegal, they have to be conducted through an FFL and both parties present.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolfpack I saw one last week, its my ffl personal gun so transfer would not be a problem, if your friend is interested e-mail me, im in the long beach/la area
Doug
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The .50 Desert Eagle is not on the Cal DOJ list of "certified" handguns. So if it's not in state already there is no way to ship or transfer into state.
justice.hdcdojnet.state.ca.us/safeguns/safeguns.taf
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It would have to be a gun that was in-state before the "saftey" laws went into effect.

If he's getting it from a private party then it would have to go through an FFL.  If he finds one used at a gun or pawn shop then it would go through just like a normal sale.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
This one is in Nevada so I guess he will have to pass on it and find one already in Cali. It's for the children....right?

Thanks for the answers guys. Bob
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Wolfpac, sent you an e-mail on a 50ae dessert eagle in the LA area
Doug
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wolfpac, sent you an e-mail on a 50ae dessert eagle in the LA area
Doug

I forwarded it to my friend and sent you an email, Thanks, Bob
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Won't find one used at a gun or pawn shop. That wouldn't be a private party transfer and thus would have to be on the list. I guess you could see an add from a private party at a gun or pawn shop, but it has to be a private party transfer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#12]
all the new DEs are built on the same frame, so if he can get one in 357 or 44 mag (which is a better idea than a 50) all he has to do is buy a 50 conversion kit.
2 calibers 1 gun
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Won't find one used at a gun or pawn shop. That wouldn't be a private party transfer and thus would have to be on the list. I guess you could see an add from a private party at a gun or pawn shop, but it has to be a private party transfer.

HUH? I thought as long as the pistol was already in the state before the whole DOJ black mail/kick back scheme then it was ok.

Say it aint so.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#14]
If it ain't on the list, the only way to get one is  private party transfer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
either private party transfers (already being in state)

or you can buy the newer mark 19 (i think its a mark 19)
in the approved .44 magnum. Then buy the barrel and mags and your good to go.

Its cheaper to shoot .44 anyway
both go
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top