Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 6:49:59 PM EDT
     I'm looking for info on AR modifications like the fab 10 pistol grip substitute and thumb hole stocks (see www.fabten.com and www.jprifles.com/ ).  Will this allow me to use my off list lower with a detachable mag instead of pinning the mag ??  How about (used) ban listed rifles from out of state modified in this way and then transfered in to CA.  What do you guys think
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Thumbhole stocks won't fly.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
   (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
   (B) A thumbhole stock.
   (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
   (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
   (E) A flash suppressor.
   (F) A forward pistol grip.
   (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
   (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Previously, there was thought of attaching a pistol grip to a glove. There's some backburner thoughts going on, but most everyone is waiting for the outcome.  If things go opposite of what we anticipate, then these odd grips will become a primary concern, but we will need DOJ approval to stay out of trouble.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems to me I saw a "hook like attachment" that replaced the pistol grip.  I can not find one anymore.  Someone correct me if I am wrong but if I build my stag lower without a "conspicuous pistol grip" and a fixed stock and a permanently attached compensator it won't be an assault rifle
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the Cal-guns thread on the subject.  I would also like a non pistol grip thingie to use instead of a fixed mag, while we are waiting on the DOJ registration and outcome.  There would be a considerable effort with the design and manufacturer of a new stock or grip thing, along with the DOJ blessing.  All in vain if things go our way.
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27979
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
There's already one member of calguns.net who has successfully created a Cali-Legal detachable mag Varmint rifle.  It uses a small piece of metal to cap the pin.  Hence there is no pistol grip at all on the rifle and no evil features therefore it is legal.

Ergonomic hell, but legal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Seems to me I saw a "hook like attachment" that replaced the pistol grip.  I can not find one anymore.  Someone correct me if I am wrong but if I build my stag lower without a "conspicuous pistol grip" and a fixed stock and a permanently attached compensator it won't be an assault rifle

The Shoeless Ventures "hook" will not cut it in California.  The web of the thumb is below the top of the trigger assembly when in use, so it is still considered a pistol grip by the California AW rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top