Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 2:32:18 PM EDT
I am going to be getting my Springfield Armory 1911-A1 soon and I was wondering about Maryland's handgun carry laws. Am I legally allowed to carry it on me when I go to the local streams and rivers to fish?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
MD has rather strict laws about handgun carry and transport.  Unless you have a CCW (which is said to be harder to get than a BJ from the wife), you can't carry it outside of your property and a few other places.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
In short - no, you cannot carry the gun.  It would be a stretch to convince a cop (in my opinion) that your fishing trip is an "informal target practice."  The laws here suck - make sure you vote out the liberal anti-gunners in the fall.  Maybe MD will have a liberal revolt - like Canada.

Anyway, here is the law:

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

* To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
   * Between a person`s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
   * While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
   * By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In short - no, you cannot carry the gun.  It would be a stretch to convince a cop (in my opinion) that your fishing trip is an "informal target practice."  The laws here suck - make sure you vote out the liberal anti-gunners in the fall.  Maybe MD will have a liberal revolt - like Canada.

Anyway, here is the law:

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

* To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
   * Between a person`s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
   * While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
   * By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.

Interesting. That sounds alot like the wording used for Vermont. Not exactly, but simuliar.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Some friends from Va are meeting me at the AGC for an informal practice.
If stopped in-transit how would any of us demonstrate legal intent
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some friends from Va are meeting me at the AGC for an informal practice.
If stopped in-transit how would any of us demonstrate legal intent

You be fooked, is what.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top