Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:08:21 PM EDT
Ooh!  I'm a happy pachyderm.

I just slapped a Pentagon X3 9V flashlight onto my truck gun and it is sweet.

For those who don't know, Pentagon is a relatively new player in the heavy duty, suitable-for-a-weapon-mounted-light flashlights.  Quality seems to be on a par with SureFire, but prices are a bit less.  The X3 is a 9V light (uses three CR123A batteries instead of the usual two).

My set-up was an on-the-cheap deal.  I had a SureFire G2 Nitrolon (6V) mounted under the handguard on a piece of picatinny rail using a one inch scope ring.  It worked okay, but I had the following problems:

1. The lamp broke - I did not use the Z32 shock isolated bezel, which may have prevented the problem, or perhaps not
2. A six volt light is too puny outdoors past 15-20 yards or so.
3. I was using my hand to bump the switch to keep it "on," but I usually hang onto the magwell.

The new set-up:

-- Is a 9V light ... more power!
-- Already has a "shock isolated bezel," so no additional expense

I also added a remote/tape switch that I have attached to the right side of the magwell where I can activate it (or not) while using my normal firing grip.  I swiped the idea from the Boone Co. Guys.

The mount is the Viking Tactics offset mount, using the same piece of pic rail I had before.  The mount is made of some kind of polymer, but it seems very sturdy and the design looks like it will hold the light better than a conventional scope ring.  It also puts the light at a 5 o'clock position instead of 6 o'clock where the rail is.  I'm not sure if that will make any difference, but it did make it easier to deal with the excess cordage on the tape switch (secured with zip ties to the hand guard).

I need to get some pics!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I got to ask, what IS your truck gun?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilson ... you're right!

Kent: It's a Bushmaster superlight carbine with a few minor modification and add-ons:

1. Knight's Armament sling swivel (which adds one inch to the stubby stock)
2. EOTech 512.A65 Revision E
3. Single point sling
4. Pentagon X3 light as mentioned in first message
5. KKM A2 TakBrake, which actually seems to work better as a flash hider than as a compensator
6. GG&G A2 flip-up rear sight w/ Ashley same plane aperture

I'm pretty sure it was under six pounds (unloaded) with the original Surefire G2 attached, but I think it may be a tad over six pounds now.

What is your truck gun, Kent?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top