Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2005 1:42:17 PM EDT
Pawnee Grasslands Park Service stopped by today while my son and I were shooting. The guy was friendly and just stopped by to say hello and remind us to police up after ourselves which I always do anyway. One thing he mentioned as we talked was that the Park Service will soon be restricting the shooting in the Grasslands due to the trash people are leaving.

I would really hate to see this happen, I love the open space the Grasslands provide for target practice. This was the latest garbage to be left up there, if possible I would have hauled these out my self. These are the asshats that are ruining it for us all.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Agree, Tannerite is much more fun than monitors and it cleans itself up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Sound like the responsible shooter community needs to do another clean up project on a mess we didn't make.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Did he say restrict shooting (as in restricted to certain areas) or did he say prohibit shooting all
together?
That would be sad as that is about  only place you can do long range (I mean out  past
4-500 hundred yard) shooting in Northern Colorado.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did he say restrict shooting (as in restricted to certain areas) or did he say prohibit shooting all
together?
That would be sad as that is about  only place you can do long range (I mean out  past
4-500 hundred yard) shooting in Northern Colorado.

To me it sounded like they were going to restrict shooting down to certain areas. I’m sure if the trash continues then a complete shut down of the area would be next.

I used to shoot solely up at Lefthand Canyon. But since it was getting trashed out over the years and restricted I decided to drive a bit further up to Pawnee. I just hope Pawnee doesn't follow suit!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the clairification. I think since the area is under national guidance through the
USDA they couldn't totally prohibit shooting but they can squeeze people out by restricting
it down to a few small areas.

Its just so sad that we can't police ourselves. As an overall shooting community the good shooters
are lumped together with these trash dumping slobs even though most of use on this forum
care.  Its just that if you are a shooter the general public thinks you must be one of these idiots just because you both shoot guns.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I was up there too, and a Weld sheriff  stopped by. He told me the same thing. I always bring extra trash bags and clean up other people stuff.  Alot of the crap you see there is left by teenagers, and young people. I have told several groups of kids not to shoot glass and to pick up their brass and targets.  

I think we should have a community clean up day out there. I mean, shoot and then clean up.  hehe

I'm in...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top