Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2006 4:47:52 PM EDT
I would like to buy prescription Oakleys for shooting and am uncomfortable sending my prescription to the factory.  How do I know if it is right or wrong and what recourse do I have if wrong.

So, does anyone have experience with a shop that deals in presciption Oakleys, preferrably in the southern 2/3 of Indiana?
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure where you're located, but Twenty/20 Vision Care in Rushville carries a full line of Oakleys and can probably answer your questions. The optometrist's name is Dr. Craig Fenimore. There listed in the phone book, or IM me and I'll give you their phone number.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought all oakley prescriptions had to be done at the factory.  Seems like I was told that at a couple of different places I went to.  

I went to Eyeglass World in Evansville (www.eyeglassworld.com/html/locations.html#Indiana) and ended up getting some nice fake oakleys pretty cheap.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would like to buy prescription Oakleys for shooting and am uncomfortable sending my prescription to the factory.  How do I know if it is right or wrong and what recourse do I have if wrong.

So, does anyone have experience with a shop that deals in presciption Oakleys, preferrably in the southern 2/3 of Indiana?

I wanted to do the same thing about a year ago for some sunglasses.  When i talked with my Fiance about it she told me why it would be a pain in the ass.  She is an Optomistrist and she used to make glasses before she finished school as an optomitrist assistant.  I will ask her when i get home tonight,  If i remember correctly it has something to do about the curvature of the lense and the prescription changing based on that curve.

The practice she works at has done them before with mixed results.  One time they had to return one pair four times before the Pt. could see correctly out of the lense and the OC was correct and the IPD was correct.  another pair they ordered came in correct and they havent had to deal with t hose at all.  I will I'm you about the reason.  

Bad Aim
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Optiks, Dr. Ron Hawkins Optometrist 812 331-9082. On the south side of the square in Bloomington. I took my Rx from my eye doc in, they ordered them from Oakley, took about 2 weeks. I really like my Half Jackets. You get the soft carry/cleaning bag & a hard vault carring case. They (Oakleys) are expensive but WORTH it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Are the prescriptions for the Oakleys done by grinding the protective lenses themselves?

My Rudy Projects (and many others) have a prescription insert.  All I have to do is take my insert to any optics shop and have them make lenses to fit them.  If you do it somewhere like Lens Crafters, you can know in an hour if they did a good job or if you have to have them redone.

Another benefit of the inserts is that when the protective lenses get damaged or scratched, that all I have to replace.  The expensive part is the prescription bridge with its lenses, and they usually don't see any damage.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The lenses are ground at the Oakley factory. They are exactly like the non Rx only you can see with out any other correction.

As far if you can't see thru them after you get them back: If you bring in a Rx from somewhere else and the glasses come in from Oakley in that Rx (they can check somehow) you are on your own. (you got what you ordered). If your Rx is from them and you have trouble they will work with you to correct any problem as they should with any glasses that they sell from exam to final fitting.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The lenses are ground at the Oakley factory. They are exactly like the non Rx only you can see with out any other correction.

As far if you can't see thru them after you get them back: If you bring in a Rx from somewhere else and the glasses come in from Oakley in that Rx (they can check somehow) you are on your own. (you got what you ordered). If your Rx is from them and you have trouble they will work with you to correct any problem as they should with any glasses that they sell from exam to final fitting.

How does that work?  Do you have to use an Oakley dealer optometrist, or what?  Obviously you can't go to the Oakley factory to get an eye exam.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, for the best service you should use a Oakley dealer optometrist for your exam. They will then be 100% responsible for any mistakes in the Rx.

I took my Rx in there from my optometrist and they filled out the paperwork ask for 50% down and in two weeks I went in paid the other 50% and picked up my new half-jackets. (love them by the way). The reason I went this way is I have used my optometrist for years & I trust him. (also my Rx hasn't changed in years either)
I went into the brick & mortar store to try on different styles as I have never had any Oakleys before.

Knowing what I know now (what style & lens shade)I would probably just send the Rx to the Oakley factory have the glasses made and then stop by my optometrist and have him check the Rx in the glasses to make sure it was ok.

There is a thread on Tactical forums about Oakley glasses. Read page 3

This is where I got my info from. You want Oakley frames & lenses. The link will explain.

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does that work?  Do you have to use an Oakley dealer optometrist, or what?  Obviously you can't go to the Oakley factory to get an eye exam.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There is a thread on Tactical forums about Oakley glasses. Read page 3

A hot link to the information is too much work for me.....  Can't you just re-type it all here?

Thanks.  I saw one of the pitchers in the world series had a cool pair of glasses on.  They were clear lenses, so I assume they were Rx, and they were Oakley-style.  I thought I might look into getting a pair.  A good pair of shooting glasses would be much more convenient that contacts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you guys looked at Revo's or Rudy Project's eyeware

Revo

Rudy Project

And also what we are allready talking about, Oakleys

Oakley

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top