Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:06:52 PM EDT
I am wondernig about open carry in CO. I've been reading Boston's books, just finished Molon Labe, and WY is just too cold, so I am thinking about moving to CO. Any way I was wondering how common open carry is and what the general reception is?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You would do well just to get a CCW
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
While open carry is allowed, CCW is better. There is no need to call attention to yourself. Someone may freak out (because few sheeple understand the gun laws) and call the cops, then you'll have to explain yourself and kill a part of your day. The wild west ain't that wild anymore.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Where I work, (in the country) everyone has a gun. It might not be on there body, but
you can bet one is close by. A lot of the time we work alone. That's mainly why I have one
close.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Better off to just get a CCW especially now that it really is a shall issue state.

Also I would imagine that it would be near impossible to not conceal the gun at certain times of the year, or at least be a total PITA to take on and off every time you wanted to remove your parka/raincoat/whatever.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't try open carry in the major cities.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll put in my .02 since I'm planning on moving to Colorado from NY, and before that FL.  I have not seen one person open carry here in CO since the moment I've been here.  I'm looking to move to the Fort Collins area.  Like another poster said, the "wild west" aint so wild anymore.  Maybe some remote town in Texas will fit your requirements.

I'm just happy to be able to CCW after leaving NY

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I open carry when 4-wheeling in the mountains and when camping in remote areas but
I would not want to do so in populated areas. I would have to agree that  concealed carry would be
the  way to go for that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't do CCW, for the following reasons,
1.  I'm military, and can't carry on base even with a CCW.
2.  It is legal to 'conceal' a weapon in your car, without a CCW, because it is an extension of your home.
3.  If I'm not at work, home, or in the car, then I am probably in the outdoors, carrying a 44 in a holster on my side.  I think that it would be hard to conceal anyways, and more suspecious hiding a big gun.  

I would like to get a CCW, to cover the 'other times'.  
Thanks,
DoubleA
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
2.  It is legal to 'conceal' a weapon in your car, without a CCW, because it is an extension of your home.
3.  If I'm not at work, home, or in the car, then I am probably in the outdoors, carrying a 44 in a holster on my side.  I think that it would be hard to conceal anyways, and more suspecious hiding a big gun.  

Thanks,
DoubleA

It is legal to carry in the car, but you might want to review the laws. I have a CCW so I didn't pay a lot of attention when thye passed the law last year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
DoubleA

It is legal to carry in the car, but you might want to review the laws. I have a CCW so I didn't pay a lot of attention when thye passed the law last year.

DoubleAD is correct. Carry in the car is not restricted. Carry concealed, carry openly, put it on the front seat in plain view - it's all good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I fully agree with the consensus here - open carry will alarm a lot of people. I have a ccw and usually carry a pocket .380. CCW's are easily obtained in most counties (yes, CO is a "shall issue" state, but a few counties are still kicking and screaming).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering which counties are the most problematic?

Prior to the change in the law, Denver was arguably the most stubborn.  For me however, it was completely virtually painless.

I just got back from New York and while there I talked to someone applying for concealed carry. He said that among other requirements, he had to submit 4 references who then had a background check and were interviewed.  This of course was not for NYC where it is basically not allowed, and you can't even have long guns without major intrusion and hassle.

I guess regardless of how difficult it can be here, it could be alot worse.

Sorry for the hijack.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#13]
kind of on the subject,,,  to be charged with menacing all you have to do is cause alarm or fear, that can include open carry. if some antigun puss bag or anyone else freaks out about you carring open and calls the police, they could charge you.  hopefully the cop on scene would be smart enough to realize you weren't doing anything except minding your own business, you just happened to have a weapon on your hip. depending on how far the puss bag complained and their actions could be considered harassment on their part, which is any action that is intended to annoy  or irritate.

on another note,,, carring in your car is allowed its considered an extension of your home.

i have to agree that a ccw would be a better option just to save the hassle.
just my .02
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Two days ago I ran into an old guy in a parking lot packing a revolver . I asked him if anyone ever said anything to him about it . He said "no , never had any problems at all" . I have done it while walking the dogs at night . But I feel like a damn criminal ! People give me shit when I'm in the woods hiking /fishing , I dont care what they say up there .
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually you would be surprised how few people notice or are too scared to confront you about it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am wondernig about open carry in CO. I've been reading Boston's books, just finished Molon Labe, and WY is just too cold, so I am thinking about moving to CO. Any way I was wondering how common open carry is and what the general reception is?

If you what to carry open move to arizona . You can carry open and won't be bothered...  No local ordnances or laws..  Come to the gun shine state  !
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll put in my .02 since I'm planning on moving to Colorado from NY, and before that FL.  I have not seen one person open carry here in CO since the moment I've been here.  I'm looking to move to the Fort Collins area.  Like another poster said, the "wild west" aint so wild anymore.  Maybe some remote town in Texas will fit your requirements.

IT's prohibited  to carry open in texas.. !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IT's prohibited  to carry open in texas.. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I just learned that yesterday

Ok, move to Arizona or Vermont
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Well , Ive changed my friggin mind , I am going to look into a CCW . Can NOT believe what Ive been seeing in NO , It fucking wont happen to me w/o me getting even first . I'm rethinking a lot of things right now . It seems that a lot things I've been brought up to believe are just not true anymore (if they ever were) ....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Did it a few times in Ft Collins when on my way to Pawnee, never arose any concern or caused me any problems.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
DoubleA

DoubleAD is correct. Carry in the car is not restricted. Carry concealed, carry openly, put it on the front seat in plain view - it's all good.

I drive motorcycles quite a bit in the summer, and have wondered what the law is concerning motorcycle carry.  I have a Colorado Wolfman rear seat bag which I double as my range bag (pistols).  

A guy up here was asked to leave the local movie theater a few years back for carrying a pistol on his hip.  Strange, seeing that even alot of the Libs up my way own/ pack heat
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
CCW is the way to go, the application process is real smooth and easy (at least it was in my county). I think the worst part of it is having to take the handgun safety class, but if you're in the military, le, or have been(honorable discharge 3yrs, or 10yrs with a pistol qual), then they waive it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top