Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:54:08 AM EDT
I will be staying in Alexandria's historic district for a week in April, on business (tied up all day, free in the evening).  I was wondering if there are any good restaurants or sites I should make it a point not to miss while there, and (of course) if there are any good or intersting gun shops in the area.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
First, it's called Old Town.  

Second, make sure you hit Las Tapas on King Street.  Thank me later. The Union Street Public House (on get this, Union Street) is also very good.  As is the Chart House.

Edit: I just remembered about Seagar's, the restaurant in the Hilton by the King Street metro.  Also very good.   Killer cigar selection with a walk-in humidor.  I need to go to Alexandria and eat more often!

Potomas Arms (gun shop/surplus store) may or may not still exist (it's at 0 Prince St), but it sucks anyway.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
"Old Town."  Gotcha!  I stand corrected and humbly apologetic - this will be my first time there.

Thanks for the leads.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going to be in town on a weekend you need to go to Murphy's and see Double Down and drink some Irish beer.

I am also a big fan of Hard Times Cafe on King Street as well as King Street Blues on N. St. Asaph's Street.  Also, Theisman's is pretty good too.

A friend of mine LOVES Vermillion, but avoid it like the plague, if you want a nice dinner go down to 219 (as in 219 King St)

Shooter
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The best gunshop in NoVA is over in Manassas (Virginia Arms), which is not exactly convenient for you if you will only be here during the week and busy during the day.  If you will be here and free on the weekend, you could go over, if you have a vehicle while here.  

By the way, where in Alabama are you?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Let us know what dates you're here, so we can take you on a field trip.
To the NRA building to check out the museum and the range, and maybe Virginia Arms, our favorite funshop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Portner's and Il Porto are both good in Old Town too.  There's another one across from what used to be Potomac Arms down by the river, but I can't remember the name of it.

Murphy's also has Rocky on Friday night.  He plays solo "Irish" music and is usually histerical.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

I should have stated in my original post that I don't drink or smoke and I'm happily married, so I'm not asking about bars/clubs - just good eatin'!

spector4:  I live in beautiful Slapout, Alabama (just as small & rural as it sounds! )

RSF45:  I was at NRA HQ, the museum, & the range last year for a meeting/training conference for FoNRA Chairmen from my region.  The museum alone is absolutely worth the trip IMHO.

FWIW, I'll be there the first week of April, arriving Sunday before and leaving Saturday after.

Thanks again, and keep the info coming.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
the trophy room and potomac arms are the only gun stores in old town. potomac arms is worth a run through just to see if they've gotten anything interesting over the counter, the only way they're doing business now, it seems. i saw a nice capture nagant pistol there for about $200 (no import marks). i think they have about 20 guns left! trophy room's on king street just up from the torpedo factory.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FWIW, I'll be there the first week of April, arriving Sunday before and leaving Saturday after.

Saturday, April 1st is the springtime VA shoot....

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And I'm arriving on the 2nd!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
spector4:  I live in beautiful Slapout, Alabama (just as small & rural as it sounds! )

Near Wetumpka, right?  Never been there, but I'm familiar with the area.  I grew up in LA.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Near Wetumpka, right?  Never been there, but I'm familiar with the area.  I grew up in LA.  

Yep, 11 miles north of Wetumpka - about halfway between Montgomery and Clanton.  Beautiful country!

(And BTT for the weekend crew... )
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
What they said. I like Vermilion.

I like Five Guys on Fayette.

I like Le Gaulois, especially with my wife in tow. Le Refuge is good, too.

I like Old Town Thai.

I like Hard Times.  

Los Tios on Mt. Vernon Ave. is great Mex/Salvador food, family run, hardworking crew.

Murphys = great Irish bar.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT for a few more responses (and thanks again so far!)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm arriving on the 2nd!

Come early!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome!

I live in Old Town. It's a great area. Anything on King Street will be fair game. I can second that Murphy's is a great bar, and I eat at Union Street and King Street Blues quite a bit.

If you're around on a weekend, go to brunch at Royal Restaurant on St. Asaph Street--just a few blocks from King Street.

I'd also recommend Rock-It Grill for karaoke, but someone else here might slap me for that.

Enjoy your stay!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... We're in Old Town - you should stop by.

I didn't realize that - if I have any free time during normal business hours, I'll do that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]
OT meet n greet?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I also forgot (but remembered because we ate there last night) South Austin Grill on the corner of King and Columbus.  Great tex-mex, great margaritas.

Shooter
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Awesome!

I live in Old Town. It's a great area. Anything on King Street will be fair game. I can second that Murphy's is a great bar, and I eat at Union Street and King Street Blues quite a bit.

If you're around on a weekend, go to brunch at Royal Restaurant on St. Asaph Street--just a few blocks from King Street.

I'd also recommend Rock-It Grill for karaoke, but someone else here might slap me for that.

Enjoy your stay!

Since I live not far from the Royal, I tried it early on, looking for an authentic burger/shake joint - this is the place that's been open since 1904 right?  But was disappointed.  

I enjoyed King St. Blues but too noisy for me - all those years of shooting ;) makes it hard to hold a conversation with background noise.

No opinion on Rock-It Grill. The last time I did karaoke, it was an - ahem - mixed bar called Freddies in Crystal City, and funny as hell.

I like the Majestic on King St.,  and Bittersweet during the summer for fresh lemonade.

Finally, Cafe Marianna, way up near the Mirant Power Plant and close to the Potomac, is a decent Nawlins style sunday brunch.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I just did Casablanca on King Street the other night.  It was OMG good- that is, if you like Mediterreanian food.  Worth the price IMHO.  

In reference to the The Rock it Grill......Jesus, I thought we liked arfcommers?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Cafe Marianna and Stardust tend to serve as corporate hangouts!

For LW? Thought you guys moved away. I'm fairly close to you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Portner's and Il Porto are both good in Old Town too.  There's another one across from what used to be Potomac Arms down by the river, but I can't remember the name of it.

Murphy's also has Rocky on Friday night.  He plays solo "Irish" music and is usually histerical.

You're thinking of Chadwicks, good place.  We're in Old Town - you should stop by.

Chadwicks, that's the one.  

I didn't know you guys were down in Old Town now.  Might not be appropriate to ask here, but I gotta ask, where?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Production will be moving to Springfield VA in the next week or so.

That's great news!  Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Just stopping by for a visit when I saw this thread. I used to live south of Old Town in the Belle View area. Man, you guys are making me almost homesick. I used to spend many nights in Union Street and Chadwicks. Bugsy's had the best pizza I've had in ages.

Ah, well, who knows, I might be back in that area later on this summer for another job tour.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#29]
BTT - I'll be up there in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Just spend the weekend at the Radisson in Old Town.  Good eats at the Warehouse on King Street.

Bad news on King street:
The new Irish Pub that just opened three weeks ago, had a block long line outside on Friday nite !

Went there on Saturday and the waitress spilled drinks on my wife and my sister in law.

We left so I cannot tell ya how good the food and drinks were at that place (Connelly?)
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, next week is my trip.  I've looked up some of the places y'all have already listed and a few others online.

I noticed nobody mentioned Bilbo Baggins... not any good or just didn't come to mind?

What about Villa D'Este?  (Looks to be very close to my hotel...)

Any good Chinese take-out/delivery in case I want to stay in one night?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]
BTT for last minute (I leave Sunday) responses to all of the above and to add a CCW question...

I realize that AL & VA don't enjoy reciprocity and my license will be no good there.

But I have also read that open carry in a vehicle is legal there without a license.

1) Does that apply to everyone, or residents only?  

2)  When you get where you are going, are you allowed to lock it in the glovebox, put it out of sight, etc., or does that put you in violation of the law?  (Surely you are not expected to leave it in plain sight...)

3)  Are loaded long-arms allowed in vehicles or no?

Sorry for all of the questions, but your laws are quite different from ours and I don't want to get into any trouble so far from home!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
BTT for last minute (I leave Sunday) responses to all of the above and to add a CCW question...

I realize that AL & VA don't enjoy reciprocity and my license will be no good there.

But I have also read that open carry in a vehicle is legal there without a license.

1) Does that apply to everyone, or residents only?  

2)  When you get where you are going, are you allowed to lock it in the glovebox, put it out of sight, etc., or does that put you in violation of the law?  (Surely you are not expected to leave it in plain sight...)

3)  Are loaded long-arms allowed in vehicles or no?

Sorry for all of the questions, but your laws are quite different from ours and I don't want to get into any trouble so far from home!

Thanks!

Unless I am wrong, open carry applys to residences AND nonresidents, if you are going to leave it in the car it is fine to lock it in the glove box.  The long-arms is a different story.  Some counties ban carrying a loaded long arm while others won't.

Have a safe trip up here, hope you enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Unless I am wrong, open carry applys to residences AND nonresidents, if you are going to leave it in the car it is fine to lock it in the glove box.  The long-arms is a different story.  Some counties ban carrying a loaded long arm while others won't.

Have a safe trip up here, hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks!  Not being familiar with the counties & such, I'll just "open carry" a handgun in the car and lock it away while parked, and forego the longarm.  

(I am going to feel downright nekkid without my primary or BUG on me for a week - but I won't be "out & about" too much, so I guess I'll get by... )
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Just to be sure you know open carry is legal outside of your car too.  Preemption a few years ago removed all local bans in regards to handguns so open carry of a pistol is legal.  And in the case of restaurants that serve alcohol required even for permit holders.  Only a relatively few places are posted even in NOVA.  I open carry when I go to a restaurant because I just don't feel good about leaving a weapon unattended, not to mention being disarmed.  Check out the restaurant open carry blog for mine and others experiences.www.opencarry.org/discus/messages/111/73.html?1143822239
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries.  A must.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm here, made it safely. (But that IS a long drive... )
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'm here, made it safely. (But that IS a long drive... )

Well at least yesterday was nice and sunny and you were able to catch a lot of scenery.  Enjoy our state, I am just sorry that you have to be stuck in northern Virginia,
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries.  A must.

Is that the burger joint in Westminster?  If so...they're awesome!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Five Guys has been franchised all over now, but go to the one just off of King on N. Fayette - cash only -was there last night. Yummmm!

Walking distance on King street if you're walkin'
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#41]
"What about Villa D'Este? (Looks to be very close to my hotel...)"

It's probably too late to help you, but it's really good (or at least it was about 6 years ago, last I went). Pricey, but good. So, if your company is paying for you to go, then do it. If you're paying, find a Five Guys'.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"What about Villa D'Este? (Looks to be very close to my hotel...)"

It's probably too late to help you, but it's really good (or at least it was about 6 years ago, last I went). Pricey, but good. So, if your company is paying for you to go, then do it. If you're paying, find a Five Guys'.

Not too late at all - I just got here & don't leave 'til Friday afternoon.  I'll try to get to both before I leave.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#43]
The group I've been hanging out with has had pretty good luck with the restaurants so far.

We ate at the Fish Market on King (down close to the water) last night & it was good.

Lunch today at the Royal Restaurant on St. Asaph - surprisingly good.

Il Porto for supper tonight - absolutely wonderful and I am stuffed!
(Plus, true or not, I love the place's back-story on the menu. )
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Fish Market's kinda a local hangout in the bar, for some reason.

I can't remember if I liked Il Porto or Landini brothers, both good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top