Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 12:00:50 PM EDT
Well I got my CCW a few hours ago now, so here come two more questions.

1.I need to know what the do`s and do not`s are. I didn`t get any forms or pamphets when I left just my CCW card. (Which by the way is a lot nicer than I thought, looks more like a Driver`s License).

2. This maybe the wrong board but for summer carrying I was thinking about a Walther PPK or Sig 232. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Keep it concealed.

2. If you need to go into a court house, you'll need to check your gun at the security station. They are required by law to provide a secure locker for you.

3. Leave it in the car if you need to go into a school. There is an exemption in the law for "lawful purposes"; if you want to be the test case I'll donate a few bucks.

4. You can't carry a longgarm concealed; handguns only.

That's about it. There are no laws in PA regarding the posting of "No Firearms" signs by private businesses. No restrictions on carrying a a place that serves alchohol. None of the restrictions many other states place on CCW holders.

As the Buck County Sheriff said when I picked up my last renewal "Keep it concealed, don't carry in a school. That's it."

Regarding your summer carry choice; carry with what you practice with, practice with what you carry. Nothing else matters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks DavidC.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

4. You can't carry a longgarm concealed; handguns only.

With the exception of short barrel rifles (under 16 inch) and short barrel shotguns.

So carry that MP5!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to add these questions yesterday.

1. If you are stopped by a police officer in the state of PA. Do you have to notify that you are carrying?

2. Same as above but you have your license but are not carrying do you have to notifiy him that you have a CCW?

3. Same as above but you are out of state ( obviously not carrying) do you have to notifiy to the officer that you have a CCW?

And some more colisimo fun. Me and my friend (he got his CCW too) went there for a laugh. Weren`t there long cause there must have been 6 people (read: idiots buying stuff)! A guy asked to see a firearm (don`t know which gun, the place was crowded) the lady got it for him and said it was $599. And then she said " it has switches and things". Switches and things LOL!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Answer to all of your questions above:

No.

At least there is no legal requirement that you do so.  I never mention it; concealed is concealed, and there is no database of CCW or anything linked to your driver's license, so unless you say something or the firearm isn't concealed, there isn't any way the LEO would know.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The previous comments are 100% in line with what I've learned.

I asked for a pamplet at the PD, there wasn't one.

Open carry is legal in PA, except for Philadelphia.  I've tried it a few times now, no problems, kinda fun.

My local west manchester mall is posted "no weapons", but it's on small signs and small print.  I carry CCW anyway.  They need the business, I doubt they would toss me out.

I haven't seen "no weapons" signs anywhere else.  I even carried into the ballpark in Harrisburg saturday night.

I like this state!  (escaped 11 years in Maryland Hell a year ago)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
fight4yourrights, what do you mean by open carry? Ex. rifle slung on shoulder, pistol in a belt holster like a police officer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Open carry is just that. In the open, on your belt, like a cop.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I seriously have to leave Philly...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]
The other exemption besides courts and schools is Federal property. And if in a bar, not sure, but you can't be drinking? Pa has the second best carry laws - only Vermont is better. Where would you rather live?

Another thing - if you are stopped by police while carrying, I don't think you are REQUIRED to notify, but on the one occasion I was stopped I told him and ended up in a nice "where is there to shoot highpower around here these days" conversation, followed by a verbal warning (after he ran tags, etc. and knew I wasn't wanted). That trooper is now one of my shooting buddies.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The other exemption besides courts and schools is Federal property. And if in a bar, not sure, but you can't be drinking? Pa has the second best carry laws - only Vermont is better. Where would you rather live?

Another thing - if you are stopped by police while carrying, I don't think you are REQUIRED to notify, but on the one occasion I was stopped I told him and ended up in a nice "where is there to shoot highpower around here these days" conversation, followed by a verbal warning (after he ran tags, etc. and knew I wasn't wanted). That trooper is now one of my shooting buddies.

Bars are fine.  Getting drunk and carrying probably wouldn't ge a good idea.

No requirement to notify LEO's
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Bars are legal, but I've heard rumors of people having permits revoked for DUI and drinking related incidents.

Kinda goes w/o saying, but you must have your permit on you while carrying.

The west manchester mall just has that sign up so they can kick out kids causing trouble. Hell, the adjacent Wal-Mart sells guns and knives.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#14]
If I may suggest for the fellas that are 'new to CC, it would serve you well to look into the legal ramifications if you should ever have to use your weapon. Masoob Ayoob's book, "In the Gravest Extreme" is a good 'eye-opener for what'll happen to you, afterwards. Be polite, and keep your powder dry.
John
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The west manchester mall just has that sign up so they can kick out kids causing trouble. Hell, the adjacent Wal-Mart sells guns and knives.

Be safe.

Read the sign more carefully, it clearly states ALL WEAPONS PROHIBITED

I still CCW anyway.  They need the business.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Goshawk whee can I get a copy of this book? Palidin-Press? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Goshawk whee can I get a copy of this book? Palidin-Press? Thanks

Any book store, "Borders Books" can get it by 'title and author. Its about 20 bucks, maybe less.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]
OK I just Got my PA CCW. I'm from NE ohio and travel in PA on occasion. Since I have CCW what rules do I have to follow carrying a longarm (AR or AK) in the car. I know OH laws but not sure on PA gun in a car laws.

BTW Gus I believe Alalska just got vermont style concealed carry also. But alaska is a little cold for me and vermont is in the middle of liberal america so PA might be in the running for #1.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Rifle cased, unloaded.

Ammo separate.  

Since you have a ccw, the ammo can be loaded in mags, and/or stored in the same compartment (trunk) as the rifle.

No carrying a loaded rifle though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are stopped, and are asked to get out of the car, it would be a damn smart thing to keep your hands on the wheel and tell the officer in no uncertain terms "I'm carrying concealed with a permit, what do you want me to do?"

AND FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

If you get out of that car and he sees you printing before you tell him, you will be drawn on, and the officer will be pissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top