Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 1:46:17 PM EDT

Dear Mr. Gunrinwa,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership and violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. Lair, see below. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun violence prevention measures and the enforcement of existing laws.

Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) introduced the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (S. 649) on March 21, 2013. This proposed legislation included provisions to expand background checks for private and interstate firearms transfers and would have made it a federal crime to traffic in firearms. Additionally, the bill would have authorized funds for the Secure Our Schools grant program under the Department of Justice to help equip schools with safety features and resources, including surveillance equipment and hotlines for reporting potentially dangerous situations.  On April 11, 2013, by a vote of 68 to 33, the Senate voted to move forward with consideration of the bill before the full Senate. During debate over this bill, the Senate voted on several amendments regarding gun violence prevention.

On April 11, 2013, Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) introduced a bipartisan amendment to S. 649 to expand background checks to sales at gun shows and online sales. The amendment would have provided exemptions for background checks in the cases of private sales between family members and friends. On April 17, 2013, by a vote of 54 to 46, the amendment failed to attain the 60 votes necessary to move forward in the Senate.  I voted in support of this amendment.

On April 17, 2013, the Senate also considered an amendment regarding assault weapons by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). The amendment would have banned certain military-style, semi-automatic weapons, and make it illegal to produce, import, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. The amendment failed by a vote of 40 to 60. I voted in support of this amendment to keep military-style weapons off the streets.  

On April 18, 2013, Senator Reid announced the Senate would put aside consideration of S. 649 to move forward with other legislative matters.   The Senate may take this bill up for consideration at a later date.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. While mental illness is not the cause of violent behavior, mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role access to behavioral health services plays in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.  This is why I voted in support of a bipartisan amendment introduced by Senators Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Lamar Alexander (R-TN) , the Mental Health Awareness and Improvement Act of 2013, which would improve upon existing mental health programs currently funded under the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Education.  This amendment included measures to help school officials recognize and identify mental health conditions and improve suicide prevention and behavioral care resources.  This amendment passed the Senate by a vote of 95-2.

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on this issue. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate continues to address this issue.

Sincerely,  
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my website at
http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Print that out, roll a massive WA-legal doobie in it, and get smoking. Send her some pictures of it, with a caption like "I figured you're on drugs, so I thought I'd join you."
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If anyone thought Cuntwell was pro RKBA needs to be committed.  I got similar drivel when I e-mailed her earlier in the year (I was expecting it too).  Makes me glad I my state reps love freedom as much as I do!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You didn't expect her to even know what the current law actually is did you ?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Why waste your time? We all know how they vote and you will not changed their minds. The ONLY way is to vote them out of office. This will not happen with the ball-less RINOS in this state.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why waste your time? We all know how they vote and you will not changed their minds. The ONLY way is to vote them out of office. This will not happen with the ball-less RINOS in this state.
View Quote

Washington Republicans needs to get more organized. Who, what, when, where, how is up to John Q Public.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Washington Republicans needs to get more organized. Who, what, when, where, how is up to John Q Public.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true... I was a PCO and tried to get better candidates... The ego is impossible to cut through. I gave up... they keep on wanting to run candidates who can not win.

Remember when Luke Esser was chairman of the Washington GOP... after he got the boot he went to went to lobby... For all things the SEIU.  

Link

Had hope that Kirby Wilbur would have changed things. He didn't. Don't have much hope for Susan Hutchison.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I gave up on writing to representatives in government.  My current plan is voting in EVERY election, and voting against every single one of 'em (anyone who is anything less than fully committed no further restrictions on our 2nd amendment rights).
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If you don't have a PopVox account. I strongly suggest you get one. Even though I won't change my Rep:Comrade Susan DelMalignant's mind. I still want to her to know I don't like her bullshit or her, and she doesn't get a blank check from all the lemmings in WA.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup.... we're fucked. lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top