Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 1:56:21 PM EDT
Here's a link to the story

Posted on Thu, Mar. 23, 2006

5 charged with murder in Bibb deputy's deathBy Tim SturrockTELEGRAPH STAFF WRITERFive people have been charged with murder in the shooting death of a Bibb County deputy, who died this morning while executing a search warrant, authorities said.

Deputy Joseph Whitehead, 36, was shot at a house on Atherton Street sometime before 1:30 a.m. and died at The Medical Center of Central Georgia, authorities said.

Antron Dawayne Fair, 21, Damon Antwon Jolly, 20, Cynthia Greene, 20, Thomas Mason Porter Jr., 22, and Hassan Shirell Harclerode, age unavailable, all were charged with murder, according to police.

Deputies were fired upon by occupants of the house, and though the deputies were wearing protective vests, Whitehead was fatally shot in the face, sheriff's Capt. David Davis said.

Whitehead was pronounced dead sometime after 2 a.m., officials said.

Whitehead was an 11-year veteran who began his career in June 1995, according to a sheriff's department news release. He joined the drug squad in 2002, according to the release.

Davis said investigators found drugs and guns inside the home during the search.
The squad serves warrants every week, sometimes several times a week, Davis said.

"There's nothing routine in something like this. This is just what they do," Davis said of the searches.

Davis said as a matter of policy, the way the search was conducted will be examined.
"Any time something like this happens it has to be looked at from every angle," he said.
Davis called the situation tragic.

"This deputy and the ones with him, they are on the front lines protecting the citizens," Davis said. "He was an excellent officer all the way. Every section he has worked in he's done a excellent job."

The Georgia Senate observed a moment of silence Thursday morning for the slain deputy, according to the Associated Press.

"They put their lives on the line every day," Sen. Robert Brown, D-Macon, told the AP. "We have a very serious problem with drugs and the violence that is associated with it in our community in Bibb County. This is just one example of how precarious their lives are."

I did not know him personally, but did cross paths with him a few times during my 6 years with Macon P.D.  

ETA:  Here is an update to the original story
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Rest easy Deputy Whitehead.

ARH

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
RIP.  Sad news
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
In a case like this there should be an immediate execution of everyone in the drug house.  Godbless the men in blue.  Pray for the officers family.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]

They should've been allowed to toss a frag grenade into the house
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
RIP Brother....

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
my condolensces to Officer Whitehead's family.

from the article:

"...Harclerode has convictions for obstruction of a police officer in 1999 and possession of marijuana in 1996. He has been arrested in Bibb County 23 times for various offenses, according to the sheriff's office.
Porter was sentenced to 10 years of probation in 2004 for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, according to the Bibb County Superior Court Clerk's Office.
Jolly and Fair, who are accused of shooting Whitehead, do not have felony convictions in Bibb County. Greene has no previous arrests in Bibb County, authorities said.
....."

Clearly bad guys don't fear the punishment, so killing an officer when it's guaranteed they're going to jail is no big deal.  The system is broken.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate to hear this as my Father retired from Dekalb Co. with about 30 years under his belt.

It's a very unfortunate situation, but there is a solution. We need to legalise drugs and tax them at a rate of 50-75%. That would raise tons of money and cut out the black market thus eliminating the criminal element.

Our prisons are full of dealers, users etc that we as tax payers support.

We are fighting the so called "war on drugs" at all levels from local to federal. We putting many good people's life on the line to fight a war that we will never win.  WHY???

They couldn't stop alcohol during prohibition and they sure as hell can't stop drugs today.

I could go on and on, but why bother.

By the way. I'm not advocating drug use. I don't even drink alcohol other than special occasions........

You might think is way off topic but it isn't. If we weren't fighting this so called war this officer would be with his family today.

TD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my condolensces to Officer Whitehead's family.

from the article:

"...Harclerode has convictions for obstruction of a police officer in 1999 and possession of marijuana in 1996. He has been arrested in Bibb County 23 times for various offenses, according to the sheriff's office.
Porter was sentenced to 10 years of probation in 2004 for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, according to the Bibb County Superior Court Clerk's Office.
Jolly and Fair, who are accused of shooting Whitehead, do not have felony convictions in Bibb County. Greene has no previous arrests in Bibb County, authorities said.
....."

Clearly bad guys don't fear the punishment, so killing an officer when it's guaranteed they're going to jail is no big deal.  The system is broken.

You nailed it on the head.  They know they have 20 years of appeals before being injected.  In the follow-up link, it says that 8 deputies entered the house as 4 stood outside guarding the perimeter.  And the articled said the deputies inside choose not to engage in a gun battle once Deputy Whitehead took fire.  I'm not going to play armchair quarterback, but they way it's worded isn't very kosher.  Also, the article said Deputy Whitehead took 4 rounds.  One in the vest, one in the face (fatal), and unknown where the remaining two rounds landed.  I'm thinking the last two rounds struck him either in the arms or shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
. We need to legalise drugs and tax them at a rate of 50-75%. That would raise tons of money and cut out the black market thus eliminating the criminal element.TD

You are entitled to your opinion and I will refrain from the inflamatory words currently burning the tips of my fingers.

Legalize drugs and you will have a bunch of crazies, with destroyed brains running around doing murder and mayhem and blaming it on the drugs. Remember the massacre that just occurred up in Forsyth cty ?  Junkies looking for drugs.  Saw somebody that they needed to get revenge on and in their doped up state they went and killed and maimed a bunch of people.  If they had not been on coke they probably would have thought better of that plan.

Those guys basically had clean records compared to most junkies. Now all they have to look forward to is a lethal injection.  That's what drugs do to people. Legal or otherwise. Altered state of mind, altered state of reality, altered perception of right and wrong. Suddenly murder is ok.

The only problem with the war on drugs is too many bleeding heart lawyers, judges, juries and not enough prisons and lethal injections.

rj
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They should've been allowed to toss a frag grenade into the house

WP.  Shoot anybody that tries to run out.

rj
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. We need to legalise drugs and tax them at a rate of 50-75%. That would raise tons of money and cut out the black market thus eliminating the criminal element.TD

You are entitled to your opinion and I will refrain from the inflamatory words currently burning the tips of my fingers.

Legalize drugs and you will have a bunch of crazies, with destroyed brains running around doing murder and mayhem and blaming it on the drugs. Remember the massacre that just occurred up in Forsyth cty ?  Junkies looking for drugs.  Saw somebody that they needed to get revenge on and in their doped up state they went and killed and maimed a bunch of people.  If they had not been on coke they probably would have thought better of that plan.

Those guys basically had clean records compared to most junkies. Now all they have to look forward to is a lethal injection.  That's what drugs do to people. Legal or otherwise. Altered state of mind, altered state of reality, altered perception of right and wrong. Suddenly murder is ok.

The only problem with the war on drugs is too many bleeding heart lawyers, judges, juries and not enough prisons and lethal injections.

rj

So you are of the opinion that if drugs were legalised it would lead to MORE crazed junkies on the streets? I don't think that's the case, but I doubt we'll ever know in this country.

If drugs were legal I seriously doubt that incident in Forsythe Co. would have occurred. We are seeing the affects of the black market on drugs. I can assure the incident in Bibb Co. would have never occurred.

TD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The incident in Forsythe was (what I heard at least) about drug DEALERS looking for some revenge.  

I am pretty sure that I read in one report that the 3 killers had been doing some coke earlier and were looking for more when they went to the house and saw the person that McGhee had 'bad blood' with.

rj
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I think legalizing drug use will not lead to more crazies going around laying carnage and mayhem.  I do believe that more people will die from legalized drug use.  For example, a city bus driver taking commuters to work while high.  A school bus driver taking kids to school while high.  The captain of your airline flight taking you to your destination while high.  Sure, you can say everyone will get tested before doing their jobs or operating equipment.  We all know that wont work.  

Only real system I see working is anybody that's convicted of a felony being stripped of their ability to spawn again.  Also, those who conceived the felon (mother, father) will have their ability of reproducing stripped away too.  This will bring accountability to one's actions, since it would impact on their parents too.  After a generation or two, the genetic disposition to commit violent felonies should be weeded up drastically.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Only real system I see working is anybody that's convicted of a felony being stripped of their ability to spawn again.  Also, those who conceived the felon (mother, father) will have their ability of reproducing stripped away too.  This will bring accountability to one's actions, since it would impact on their parents too.  After a generation or two, the genetic disposition to commit violent felonies should be weeded up drastically.

Are you serious??  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Are you serious??  

This has been tried before in the last century many times.
The only problem is the cleansing won't stop there.(Got a clue as to what I am refering to?)

As for the parents,it isn't always their fault when "little Johnny" gets strung out after the parents have had him in rehab fourty eleven times in the last ten years.
Bad things do happen in decent families all the time.

And as far a legalizing drugs,criminals are always going to be to damn lazy to do honest work,and will still steal or rob to get the money the want.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Gosh, what happened to the old tradition of the GA chain-gang?

That worked, ain't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top