Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2005 2:02:14 AM EDT
OSU Professor Holtzhauer Arrested At Airport, He's a pillar of the community, a veteran, A former Police officer, a good and decent man, who made an honest mistake... I met him when he testified before City Council against the proposed Assault weapons ban. I know he had his CCW. With so many idiotic Laws and regulations it's incredibly easy to get trapped by the smallest mistake.  I can only presume The Prof forgot the firearm was in his carry on luggage. We who've had our CCW's for some time know that even for very responsiblebe people it can become old hat and you sometimes forget yourself. I know in my heart one thing, If law abiding citizens state licensed to carry CCW were allowed to carry while flying the 911 terrorists would have never got away with it. Our Government bureaucrats sure didn't protect us, in fact they failed us in every way. Professor Holtzhauer shouldn't used as a scapegoat. Everyone in the media are sheeple! Is this such a news worthy item that the local news channels need to shove a camera in the Prof's face? The man made a miniscule mistake that hurt no one. I hope Osu doesn't attempt to terminate his position, There are so few decent College professors as it is. What can we do to help him? How can we give him support?   http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4710183/detail.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally know Frank, he is a great guy.  I don't think that OSU will take this too well.  Frank is an avid shooter and is very pro-gun.  He has the means and ability to speak for those that don't know who or where to address their grievances pertaining to gun rights.  He spoke up for the citizens of Kolumbus at city council and is a true friend of gun owners.  The media is already trying to hang him out to dry and I am rather sure that the liberal forces inside OSU will be pushing hard for his ouster.  If Frank needs anything I will help him and the citizens of Kolumbus should be there to show support moral and financial if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I personally know Frank, he is a great guy.  I don't think that OSU will take this too well.  Frank is an avid shooter and is very pro-gun.  He has the means and ability to speak for those that don't know who or where to address their grievances pertaining to gun rights.  He spoke up for the citizens of Kolumbus at city council and is a true friend of gun owners.  The media is already trying to hang him out to dry and I am rather sure that the liberal forces inside OSU will be pushing hard for his ouster.  If Frank needs anything I will help him and the citizens of Kolumbus should be there to show support moral and financial if necessary.

I work at the University.  Is there anything we can do to help Dr. Holtzhauer?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know yet, but I'm sure things are just getting started.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
As I was told a few years ago, there was a time when a mistake was not illegal, with 911 those times are gone.

His situation could go either way.  It will depend on the local prosecutor.  Most likley the TSA will not care and only give him a fine for breaking a civil code.  Sadly, he looks like a political target so he will get the grind in court.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Daggum shame. Not a good area to be forgetful, but from what it seems he's a decent fellow who made a mistake. This will probably be a field day.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, Thanks so much guy's, Anyone have any ideals how we can support the prof? MABYE IF WE CAN FIND OUT HIS COURT DATE WE COULD SHOW UP TO OFFER HIM MORAL SUPPORT? If anyone knows the Professor better then I could you suggest if he would welcome the support? Any other ideals on how we can help?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Any news on the prof?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll e-mail him when I get home and see if there is anything we can do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
So how's he holding up? is he getting the support he needs?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I talked to his friend Saturday at a shoot and he said that Frank can't really talk about it much.  He said that he had to get all guns out of his posession.  Frank is not sure who is going to charge him Feds, state or city and what the exact charges will be nor even when but he has lawyered up.  He is not able to shoot or anything right now.  It has not affected his job yet but it is suspected that he should be fine.  There is really nothing we can do for him currently but if anything happens I will post it here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got back from my honeymoon, Fuc* the airports. And I mean that in the stongest sense possible.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I spoke with the rifle coach at OSU a week ago.  He said the university is taking the position that the prof has had enough embaressment and problems over the issue and they are staying out of it.  

However,  I guess he used to come down to the range on campus and shoot all the time,  with that gun always carried in the brief case.   I'm just going to speculate that he kept it in there at all times,  even on campus,  and thats probably why he forgot about it.  It's a shame, but he kinda brought it upon himself if thats the case.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I spoke with the rifle coach at OSU a week ago.  He said the university is taking the position that the prof has had enough embaressment and problems over the issue and they are staying out of it.  

However,  I guess he used to come down to the range on campus and shoot all the time,  with that gun always carried in the brief case.   I'm just going to speculate that he kept it in there at all times,  even on campus,  and thats probably why he forgot about it.  It's a shame, but he kinda brought it upon himself if thats the case.  

Im good friends with Coach Sweeney and Coach Cherry, and I have never met this professor, and I also shoot at the range almost every week.

Although, does he have a long beard and a european accent?

ETA: Nevermind, went to the nbc webpage. I have never seen him at the range before..
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How does this work?  I thought the University had a 100% no-firearms-on-campus policy.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Im good friends with Coach Sweeney and Coach Cherry, and I have never met this professor, and I also shoot at the range almost every week.

Although, does he have a long beard and a european accent?

ETA: Nevermind, went to the nbc webpage. I have never seen him at the range before..

I was on the pistol team for 3 years and ran the rifle club for 2.   I've never seen him down there, and I was there almost daily for hours on end.   Coach Cherry was the one that told me about his trips to the range.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How does this work?  I thought the University had a 100% no-firearms-on-campus policy.  

The policy exists, but the University also has a Varsity Pistol Team, Varsity Rifle Team, a pistol club, a rifle club,  2 or 3 different levels of rifle class,  an air pistol class (which is more or less a ccw class as well), and a shotgun class.   Also, the University ROTC units use the range as well as various campus groups and the Ohio WheelChair Games.

Quite a few University employees also shoot down there,  they just get permission from one of the coaches.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Frank is not sure who is going to charge him Feds, state or city

I will bet $5 it will be the city/county that charges him.

Two years from now he will get a fine in the mail from the TSA for breaking a civil code, carrying a weapon into a controlled area.  fine wil be the minimum $500, $250 if he pays it in thirty days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quite a few University employees also shoot down there,  they just get permission from one of the coaches.

Can you tell me who to talk to?  (IM if necessary)  As a University employee, I might like to take advantage of that range.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you tell me who to talk to?  (IM if necessary)  As a University employee, I might like to take advantage of that range.

Stop down at the range and talk with Pat Cherry.  The other option is to join the rifle or pistol club.  Pistol meets thursday nights at 5pm and rifle is Friday nights at 5pm,  but I don't know if either club meets during Summer Quarter.

If I were still in Columbus you could just go down there with me.  We usually had our coach's spare set of keys during the offseason so we could go "practice"  aka playtime with our non-target guns.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop down at the range and talk with Pat Cherry.  The other option is to join the rifle or pistol club.  Pistol meets thursday nights at 5pm and rifle is Friday nights at 5pm,  but I don't know if either club meets during Summer Quarter.

If I were still in Columbus you could just go down there with me.  We usually had our coach's spare set of keys during the offseason so we could go "practice"  aka playtime with our non-target guns.  

Walther,

I think you and I might know each other than? Douglass and I are good buds, we have probably shot together if you are who I think you are
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Did you have to bring that idiot into this?

Did you perhaps buy a glock from me?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to continue this thread hijack, but....where exactly is the range?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Now that info will cost ya.

I accept cash, visa, mastercard and gift certificates to Vances.
The range is in the basement of the ROTC building, Converse Hall.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No, no purchasing. I thought you were Rich there for a second :)
We'll have to hook up and go shooting, I have been looking for someone to regularly go to briar rabbit/circleville with, douglas has grown a mangina lately..
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We'll have to hook up and go shooting, I have been looking for someone to regularly go to briar rabbit/circleville with, douglas has grown a mangina lately..

Dude, I shoot them all the time, give me a call and you can go down/over there with me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Update: Good News

I talked to Frank today at a USPSA match and he said that the felony was dropped to a misdemeanor.  He will find out later on if there will be a fine or community service or some other menial recompense.  He has his guns back and everything is going to be fine and very low-key for him.  He was pretty happy that he could shoot his first match today but it rained like mad at Circleville today and most of us called it pretty early.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I talked to Frank today at a USPSA match and he said that the felony was dropped to a misdemeanor.  He will find out later on if there will be a fine or community service or some other menial recompense.  He has his guns back and everything is going to be fine and very low-key for him.  He was pretty happy that he could shoot his first match today but it rained like mad at Circleville today and most of us called it pretty early.

Great to hear, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Rock on.  Good to hear he's not going to get raked over the coals for it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK,  I thought you were one of the ROTC boys.  

YES!!  Fee certainly has grown quite the mangina.  It's hard to get him to do anything,  then again, its always been that way unless it involves drinking.   He's real caught up in the whole army thing.

I don't know how anyone could confuse me for Rich,  I'm not that short.    You should see if he's up for Briar Rabbit.   I used to shoot there quite regularly a couple sumers ago.  I think I managed to drag Fee there once last summer, and he was the only teammate I could get to go.  

The next time I make it down to Columbus we'll have to get a group over to Briar Rabbit for some clays and action pistol.   Rich and I will be doing a CCW class at the range sometime in the near future I think.  

Tom
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Great to hear!  But what about OSU?  Is he going to have job-related problems because of this?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top