Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 2:02:17 AM EDT
I do not know if this is allowed, or where this should be, so I apologize in advance for any problems.  I will indeed be starting a Rifle Club at Southern Virginia University, with the backing and blessing of the Dean of Students(an ex-Green Beret) and several faculty members. We have three students who have agreed to join thus far, plus the head track coach.  I feel sorta bad asking this, but our school will only donate 100 dollars a year to our club.  Our club will be geared primarily to our favorite evil black rifle, but it is nto meant to be exlusive of other service rifles by anymeans.  If anyone would be willing to donate monetary funds in whatever amount, or AR15 parts/accesorys it would be greatly appreciated.  I went out today and bought two Ameetek AR recievers to build into rifles as funds permit.  Anyhelp would be appreciated, as our only local gunshop owner is kinda a dick.

-Ben

(sorry in advance for spelling/grammer errors, but it is 0400 hours and time to rack out.)
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Will do shortly gunnut.  And for the record, Southern Virginia University is a private school, and recieves no state funding.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Contact the CMP and get your club affiliated...they have some good prices on DCM ARs for shooting clubs....their goal is to help promote the kind of stuff you're doing.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Once this is verified and has VA-gunnut’s seal of approval I will offer to do any armorer work for free.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Check with the NRA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Check with West Virginia University's rifle program. They were disbanded a few years ago, and this year reinstated themselves. I am not sure of the circumstances, however there were a few new funding programs implemented. I am sure they would be a great resource to your cause and might provide some help and insight of what needs to happen. Good luck, db
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, here is an update.  The Dean of Students who was backing our program has been released from his position for an unspecified reason.  He is now teaching and doesn't have the power to make things happen.  There are several faculty members behind the idea, but we will have to see what happens.  The new Dean was a colonel in the Army, and is surprisingly very opposed to the idea of having a firearms team of any kind, or allowing firearms on campus, and has instated a school policy this year prohibiting possesion or transport of firearms on university grounds.  Looks like an uphill battle.  I have however talked to several students and they think it could be a better idea just to start a gun club without school affiliation.  I think I am leaning more towards that direction now.  The only range available to the public around here is 50 dollars per person per year, so ideally I am gonna try and find someone with private land.  I am also contacting VMI to see if I can get use of their M14/M16 ranges.  gunnut you will have a IM shortly.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, that sux...have you considered using a less "aggressive" firearm like .22LR target rifles? It may be easier to "sell" a rifle team using those since they are used in the Olympic competition.
What ever you decide, good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top