Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 4:13:24 PM EDT
Howdy Missouri HTF

I am going to be TDY to Ft Leonardwood for a several months and I want to get my CCW for the state. I've heard the surrounding area isn't the friendliest. Can anyone let me know the process for an out of stater to apply for a permit?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not aware of Missouri offering a Non-resident permit, but the good news its that MO does honor permits from other states.  If you have one from your own state you are good to go, or a non resident permit from other states is good to go as well.  FL, UT as well as TX? ME? PA? are some states that offer non resident permits if MD doesnt offer one to it's own residents...

Some other info is  HERE

scottMO
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Missouri will offer a permit to anyone in the armed services who will be stationed in the state. That sounds like it would fit you perfectly.

My sheriff tells me, anyone in the military just needs to bring their military ID and paperwork in to the county they are stationed in. For $100 they will give you a permit after your background check is complete. Ft. Leonard Wood is in Pulaski county, so that would be your sheriff.

This is the info I was given by my sheriff for my class. You may want to just call the pulaski county sheriff and talk to them about it. Pulaski CCW number All the leo agencies I have talked to have been very receptive to CCW. I don't think you'll have any problems.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Two relevant statutes regarding your request:

RS Mo 571.101
2. A certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section shall be issued by the sheriff or his or her designee of the county or city in which the applicant resides, if the applicant:

(1) Is at least twenty-three years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:

(a) Has assumed residency in this state; or

(b) Is a member of the armed forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military;

So you qualify under (b)

And from RS Mo 571.101  (8) Submits a completed application for a certificate of qualification as defined in subsection 3 of this section;

(9) Submits an affidavit attesting that the applicant complies with the concealed carry safety training requirement pursuant to subsections 1 and 2 of section 571.111;

Which means you still have to take the training.

Qualification Requirements: RS Mo 571.111 1. An applicant for a concealed carry endorsement shall demonstrate knowledge of firearms safety training. This requirement shall be fully satisfied if the applicant for a concealed carry endorsement:

(1) Submits a photocopy of a certificate of firearms safety training course completion, as defined in subsection 2 of this section, signed by a qualified firearms safety instructor as defined in subsection 5 of this section; or

(2) Submits a photocopy of a certificate that shows the applicant completed a firearms safety course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

(3) Is a qualified firearms safety instructor as defined in subsection 5 of this section; or

(4) Submits proof that the applicant currently holds any type of valid peace officer license issued under the requirements of chapter 590, RSMo; or

(5) Submits proof that the applicant is currently allowed to carry firearms in accordance with the certification requirements of section 217.710, RSMo; or

(6) Submits proof that the applicant is currently certified as any class of corrections officer by the Missouri department of corrections and has passed at least one eight-hour firearms training course, approved by the director of the Missouri department of corrections under the authority granted to him or her by section 217.105, RSMo, that includes instruction on the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563, RSMo.

Training Requirements: RS Mo 571.111  2. A certificate of firearms safety training course completion may be issued to any applicant by any qualified firearms safety instructor. On the certificate of course completion the qualified firearms safety instructor shall affirm that the individual receiving instruction has taken and passed a firearms safety course of at least eight hours in length taught by the instructor that included:

(1) Handgun safety in the classroom, at home, on the firing range and while carrying the firearm;

(2) A physical demonstration performed by the applicant that demonstrated his or her ability to safely load and unload a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol and demonstrated his or her marksmanship with both;

(3) The basic principles of marksmanship;

(4) Care and cleaning of concealable firearms;

(5) Safe storage of firearms at home;

(6) The requirements of this state for obtaining a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement from the sheriff of the individual's county of residence and a concealed carry endorsement issued by the department of revenue;

(7) The laws relating to firearms as prescribed in this chapter;

(8) The laws relating to the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563, RSMo;

(9) A live firing exercise of sufficient duration for each applicant to fire a handgun, from a standing position or its equivalent, a minimum of fifty rounds at a distance of seven yards from a B-27 silhouette target or an equivalent target;

(10) A live fire test administered to the applicant while the instructor was present of twenty rounds from a standing position or its equivalent at a distance from a B-27 silhouette target, or an equivalent target, of seven yards.

No where in the statues does it say that current or past military service qualifies an applicant for a CCW endorsement. Unfortunately that means the sheriff was wrong in telling shooter64738 this information.

One further note. If you receive a CCW endorsement while stationed in Missouri and you move to another post outside of Missouri, your Missouri CCW endorsement turns into a pumpkin.

I would suggest a Florida permit as it will work in Missouri and many other states.

Thank you for your service and may you have a blessed time while stationed here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
If I implied that you could skip the certification, my mistake. When I said ID and paper work, I meant ccw paperwork. My intent was to tell the OP that it's no more complicated for him than it is for a resident.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Gentlemen, I appreciate your help! However, it looks like I dont qualify for a MO CCW permit. I'm 22. Also, it looks like it would be more of a hassle to get a CCW for the state since I am only going to be in the state for a few months. I am probably going to go for the Utah or FL permit. I appreciate it, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I implied that you could skip the certification, my mistake. When I said ID and paper work, I meant ccw paperwork. My intent was to tell the OP that it's no more complicated for him than it is for a resident.

I understand. Just did not want any confusion out there
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gentlemen, I appreciate your help! However, it looks like I dont qualify for a MO CCW permit. I'm 22. Also, it looks like it would be more of a hassle to get a CCW for the state since I am only going to be in the state for a few months. I am probably going to go for the Utah or FL permit. I appreciate it, thanks guys!

Cool, sounds like the best way to go in your circumstance.

And again, thanks for serving!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top