Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2008 12:27:12 PM EDT
I am a SC resident and will be doing some business in GA. I know my carry permit is no good but what are the laws for transport in a vehicle? Unloaded, loaded? Open view or glove box?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are eligible to possess a firearm in GA, you can have it anywhere in the car.

16-11-126

e) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Check out www.georgiapacking.org   They have a gun laws in english section.

Now, WTF is with your legislature.  Why in the heck did they change the mutual reciprocity to a similar standard reciprocity bill.

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Idiots. Only states in the SE that don't have reciprocity are us.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually you can't have a loaded gun just "ANYWHERE" in your car.  It either has to be in plain view (on dash), or it has to be in a center console or glove box.  You can't have it under a seat, tucked between the seat, in the door map compartment, etc without a permit.  

My sister lives in Myrtle Beach, SC.  Can you elighten us about where we can have a loaded gun in the car while driving in SC?   I think it is pretty similar, but figured you could help clear it up, Magick.

Enjoy Georgia!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Same deal. Can't be in the open or crammed somewhere. Glovebox, console or trunk. NC is the ass backwards one where it has to be displayed openly in the car. I am headed to a town called Tifton. From what I understand it is a bit north of Valdosta. Any place that is a must eat at in that area?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually you can't have a loaded gun just "ANYWHERE" in your car.  It either has to be in plain view (on dash), or it has to be in a center console or glove box.  You can't have it under a seat, tucked between the seat, in the door map compartment, etc without a permit.  

My sister lives in Myrtle Beach, SC.  Can you elighten us about where we can have a loaded gun in the car while driving in SC?   I think it is pretty similar, but figured you could help clear it up, Magick.

Enjoy Georgia!

You're wrong.  Look up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy Georgia!

You're wrong.  Look up.

Yes, you are  wrong. HB 89 which went into effect on July 1, effectively expanded the rights of lawful gun owners in Georgia, one of the things it changed was that it eliminated most of the specifics of where and how a gun can be carried within a motor vehicle.

As long as you are someone who would not be prevented from carrying a pistol by law then you are allowed to carry a loaded pistol anywhere in your car. The only thing  I would be careful of is that I wouldn't carry it on your hip/person CCW style as the wording doesn't specifically address that and I still haven't seen an oponon on the matter one way or another.

Here is the exact wording of the law and the verbage that has been removed:
(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. (e) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

And yes SC does suck as a CCW reciprocity state, why they choose not to play ball while the entire rest of the southeast is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Idiots. Only states in the SE that don't have reciprocity are us.

Count your blessings! When I lived in SC, I fought for months to get a permit. At that time (back in the 80's) only L.E.s could carry. But I did manage to find a way to skirt the law (the trick as told to me by an L.E. friend), back then I carried a handgun in a satchel w/ a small pad lock on the zipper. Get stopped... CLICK, it's locked. Good to go! I was happy to hear that they finally wised up in SC (even if it took forever for the boneheads to come to their senses).
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy Georgia!

You're wrong.  Look up.

Yes, you are  wrong. HB 89 which went into effect on July 1, effectively expanded the rights of lawful gun owners in Georgia, one of the things it changed was that it eliminated most of the specifics of where and how a gun can be carried within a motor vehicle.

As long as you are someone who would not be prevented from carrying a pistol by law then you are allowed to carry a loaded pistol anywhere in your car. The only thing  I would be careful of is that I wouldn't carry it on your hip/person CCW style as the wording doesn't specifically address that and I still haven't seen an oponon on the matter one way or another.

(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. (e) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

And yes SC does suck as a CCW reciprocity state, why they choose not to play ball while the entire rest of the southeast is beyond me.

I would think the newly written law would not apply to a non-Georgia resident.  The only people eligible for a GFL are Georgia residents and members of the armed forces stationed in the state (minus felons, etc).  And if you are under 21 you are definitely not able to have it in your car just anywhere.

Read 16-11-129 before you do anything else.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy Georgia!

You're wrong.  Look up.

I would think the newly written law would not apply to a non-Georgia resident.  The only people eligible for a GFL are Georgia residents and members of the armed forces stationed in the state (minus felons, etc).  And if you are under 21 you are definitely not able to have it in your car just anywhere.

Read 16-11-129 before you do anything else.

I just read it, and after trying to decipher all the legalese and constant use of double negative, its really incredible how these legislators have truly perfected the ability to write up a law that completely contradicts itself and at the same time makes absolutely zero sense.

According to the letter of the law a non-resident is not guilty of any of the disqualifying factors to receive a permit (Section B to the end), they simply don't fall under the local GA jurisdiction, that is probably why they include any citizen who is not lawfully present in the US as an actual disqualification as well.

But regardless, when referring to 16-11-129 they refer to the entire statute by instead of just refering to everything but the first paragraph dealing with residency.

But heres the really stupid part:

(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition. (e) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle

So basically now there saying, if you are eligible for a permit you can carry as long as it unloaded locked and separated, and if your eligable for a permit you can cary cocked and locked and anywhere in the vehicle... its effing retarted.

According to Gapacking.org they seem confident that the rules only apply to those who are ineligable under 16-11-133, basically all the actual bad stuff that would disqualify you, and not simply the fact that your not a resident of GA. This seems like it is more in line with 'the spirit of the law' because besides the fact that its totally contradictory to itself as is, we don't often hear much about people getting arrested while driving through ga with a gun in the car. But I'm no lawyer so what do i know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top