Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 6:40:19 AM EDT

I recently had a local smith rechamber my favorite 270. I have noticed that the fired brass has a sharp ring just below the shoulder. I believe there was a piece of debris caught in the reamer when the chamber was re-cut. My concern is a possible case failure after several reloadings.

Is there someone nearby who would be willing to look at a couple fire-formed brass and give me some input?

I live in the Puyallup or Federal Way area.

I tried taking a picture but nothing was visible in it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You accept no IM/EM. AARRGGH. Either go find a new smith to fix it or return it politely to smith #1. He accepted the job of chambering. He should know that means doing it properly. Everyone screws up now and then. If you go elsewhere, you may just alienate both of them. If you don't feel comfortable with returning to the first guy, maybe you erred in choosing him to begin with. But, it sounds like your diagnosis is correct. You know you are always welcome at bobbityville. Keep us posted. BTW, I personally appreciate your concern and support with my earlier situation. It appears to be working out positively. Robert
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup he caught a chip and is scratched..
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it's about time I fix the e-mail thing.

Rifle is a classic stainless Model 70 in .270 Win. These things have a monster huge chamber, not as bad as my Enfield, but still looong and wide.  The barrel shot wonderful but was very hard on brass. I had it set back one thread and rechambered. This morning I started looking carefully again at the brass and saw the transition from previous chamber to new chamber. I had wondered how setting a barrel back one thread could sufficiently decrease the chamber diameter, especially when the taper is so slow. Hindsight says I should have just rebarreled, but that factory barrel shot phenomenal. Just hard on brass.

I'll talk to the gentleman. I trust his work. I've never reamed anything, but I bet the shape of the chamber and a small piece of debris caused it to happen, or the reamer.

Tonight I'll fix the e-mail.

Dan

EDIT: live and learn, I should have explained my concerns in greater detail before he did the work. Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
E-mail is now functioning.

Quoted:

Quoted:
This morning I started looking carefully again at the brass and saw the transition from previous chamber to new chamber.

That's why I asked if it had been set back and rechambered, was wondering if you were seeing the separation line between the old and new chambers.

I had no idea a person would/could see a transition. I had falsely believed that I would have an entirely new chamber, but this fire-formed case and also my size die says otherwise. Whatever and I don't care. I believe my splitting-necks issue is resolved. I've also switched to a bushing die. Ultimately, I am now more wise about rechambering, my only concern right now is the possibility of the sharp edge/transition creating a weak spot or failure point on the brass.

Thanks,

Dan

I think I'll be at the show in Monroe on Saturday, maybe I'll wear some distinguishing clothes or hat.

Worst case, I've thought a 280 AI or the 30-06 AI would be fun. Probably the '06.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top