Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:31:25 AM EDT
I live in the Las Vegas area and need a capable gunsmith, or friendly local(will pay!) to permanently attach a muzzlebrake to my slr 105a1. DIY jb weld won't do as it will break down in higher temps. Moving to NY for career reasons. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with this exact method attaching a Phantom to my ex-postban bushy. If you do it carefully, the MAPP torch shouldnt effect the finish any. I went real slow with mine and didnt expose it to the flame in one spot for long periods. I heated all of it evenly and gradually, which minimized discoloration. I haven't tried to unscrew mine after shooting the rifle alot. Its usually too hot to get a good grip on. It will not budge at all cold though.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtoattachamuzzlebrake.msnw

PS: I just looked at your model, that looks like a 16" + muzzle attachment. Try marking off a dowel or small brass rod for 16" and dropping it down the barrel with the bolt CLOSED (barrel length is measured from the breach face, to the crown). If the mark is below the crown, you don't need to permanently attach it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What if the barrel (FSB) is threaded, is that still OK to not permanently attach muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Should check NY state laws and see if they have any special statutes on barrel threads, flash-hiders, rifles ect.....  you need to check that states laws on the subject(s)

here (NV)  if your barrel is over 16" the flash-hider beng perm. attached is not required and the barrel being threaded is of no concern.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replys. I was under the impression that in NY, it doesn't matter what the barrel lenght is, as long as it has a theaded barrel its a no-no (assuming pistol grip and detachable magazine. Will investigate further!
Ron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top