Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:01:53 AM EDT
My best friend lives in alexandria and we are going to take a road trip to his hometown in TX to do some shootin once I get done with my year in Iraq (86 days to go )

I want to get a new build done by dennyguns but I need to have an FFL to ship the ar too so I can get it.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Gilbert Arms in Lorton(right near alexandria) is good if its not something they can order themselves for $15 transfer fee

the Trophy Shop in Old Town is ok but $30 transfer fee
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Gilberts Small Arms Range
8194-M Terminal Rd.
Lorton VA 22079

$15 Transfers.

Many of the "black rifle" things, they will not give you guff about...

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is "The Trophy Shop"?
I thought Potomac Arms was the only game left after Old towne Armory folded?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The Trophy Room.

It's on King in the second block west of the river.  In between the bank and the crazy art store.  Underneath the Subway.

They are a great bunch of guys, and carry some very fine shotguns and country clothes.  They also sponsor hunts in the area.  If you can toss them some business, I would recommend you do so.  I really like doing business there.

Potomac Arms is about to fold, I think.  I was in there Wednesday and they had maybe 30 guns total, about 10 of them were new.  A police trade-in Glock 17 for $439.  I offered $375 and they said no.  Not to mention the "gun store guy" employees.  One confirmed speculation about the .357 Sig doing 2,000 fps and the other I heard talking about "if a guy is coming at you with a stick..."  

G

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Trophy Room.

It's on King in the second block west of the river.  In between the bank and the crazy art store.  Underneath the Subway.

They are a great bunch of guys, and carry some very fine shotguns and country clothes.  They also sponsor hunts in the area.  If you can toss them some business, I would recommend you do so.  I really like doing business there.

Potomac Arms is about to fold, I think.  I was in there Wednesday and they had maybe 30 guns total, about 10 of them were new.  A police trade-in Glock 17 for $439.  I offered $375 and they said no.  Not to mention the "gun store guy" employees.  One confirmed speculation about the .357 Sig doing 2,000 fps and the other I heard talking about "if a guy is coming at you with a stick..."  

G

A month or two ago, the rumor was that Potomac Arms was dealing mainly with used firearms and they were going to stay in business.  They've had some decent prices on used pistols, just have to look close and don't listen too hard.

ETA: Don't know what they charge for transfers, probably too much though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Potomac Arms charges $60+ for transfers.

I buy things from them sometimes, you never know what you will find in there.

Trophy Room is midway along King St.. http://www.trophyroomonline.com/ .  They are very friendly and have handguns and consignment items in the back.

Although they deal with some big ticket items, I have had two AK-47 type receivers delivered and transferred through them; they're totally cool about that. I bought some Q3131A they had on sale last year.

Transfer's $30, which is twice 15$ (math  lesson for the day) but you have to factor in your time and fuel costs out to Lorton and back.  Dealing with Trophy Room means (since they are open after 5pm) that I can drop by after work to get my gun ;)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
To confrim the previous post, I wanted to transfer a receiver through Potomac Arms and they wanted $60.  NFW.  

They have a cool store and I hate to see a gunshop go out of business, but those guys are almost asking for it.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...but you have to factor in your time and fuel costs out to Lorton and back.

The two shops are 10.94 miles apart.  At 16mpg, and gas @ 2.39/gal.  That works out to $1.63.

I can't imagine this being an issue.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The two shops are 10.94 miles apart.  At 16mpg, and gas @ 2.39/gal.  That works out to $1.63.

wow, only 10 miles??? why does it seem sooo much further??? i guess it's cuz i just frigging HATE driving in nova...

i was gonna say innovative tech but he's in falls church and charges $20 or $25, i think.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, only 10 miles??? why does it seem sooo much further??? i guess it's cuz i just frigging HATE driving in nova...

I guess if you drive all the way around on the highway it might be longer, but can't be much.

I go from Old Town, to Telegraph Rd, to 7100 bypass, to Gilbert's.  That route is ~11 miles between Trophy Room and Gilbert's.

If you are right at the Mixing Bowl.  The distance is almost the same to go to Old Town or "Lorton".
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
And, as I noted, how much is your time worth? ;)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And, as I noted, how much is your time worth? ;)

Doing a hobby?  Zero dollars.

For a $15 transfer fee + $8 range "membership" you can also demo your gun at Gilbert's, right then.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top