Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:33:54 AM EDT
I am National Guard going on active duty then I will be cut orders back to CA for national guard duty.

Can I buy a Assault weapon, and legally bring it back, i will be on active duty but still am from CA?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:46:35 AM EDT
Not legally, no.

About the only way I can see that working is if you are posted as a Guardsman from a foreign state to NTC under Title 10 orders for a deployment, in a similar manner to 221st Cav out of Nevada.

The military exemption for California does not apply to California residents.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:20:23 PM EDT

The military exemption for California does not apply to California residents.

How ironically expected of CA....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:28:50 PM EDT
you can buy it when your out because your a legal resident in another/country state (if you live on a base) but you can't bring it back. Sorry pal, we all gott deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:43:14 PM EDT
first thing, do you have a California identification or driver license?

if you do you have to have PCS orders showing you have been assigned for duty in that other state for at least 90 days. or you can have 90 days proof of residency by showing your utility bills for the last 90 days, or a lease, etc.

that is, if you are purchasing from an FFL.

i can't speak of private party sales since it varies from state to state. in Texas, i believe the standard for a private sale is:

buyer is 18 years of age
buyer is a texas resident
buyer is not a convicted felon or otherwise unable to legally purchase a firearm

the first two are generally achieved by viewing a Texas ID card or driver license. for some i suppose they may accept a military ID even though it does not prove residency. i would assume the military ID would prove you are not a convicted felon and thus able to legally possess a firearm. otherwise the seller can ask "are you a felon?" to which every buyer would say "no," (even felons i imagine).

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:37:19 PM EDT
Yo, fellow guardsman here. Answer to your question is no, I've already contacted the DOJ in regards to Active to Guardsman transitions. They won't allow it, but here's what you can do from my own experience, kinda mentioned above.

First, whatever base you're going to, try to establish an off base housing... whether it be your own or just a buddy's. If you're going to basic training, and then to Tech School/AIT (whatever branch you're in), you'll have to wait till schooling... impossible to do all this in basic! lol. Once in school, if you're married I know in the Air Force you can become SEP RAT and get off base housing once you've made Phase 2 (you'll understand what all this means once you get to that point). If not married, I'm sure one of your wingmen/battle buddies will be. Just use their address and your military ID to obtain a local state ID. From there, if you intend on bringing it home, just make sure the make and model is not on the banned list ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/aw.htm and that it doesn't have AW features as set in PC 12276, then you may bring it back with you to California.

A heads up while you're gone, if the firearm you purchased while TDY goes on to the ban list, be sure not to miss the registration period, or you're SOL! Also, especially if you're NPS, don't try and keep any kind of firearm on base, you're base commander will have a shit fit... with you right in the middle... I suggest leaving it at an off base location, like your buddies address you used. Have fun in the Guard!


p.s. whats your unit? Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:49:19 PM EDT
1911greg... wasn't really paying attention to your name... but just realised that was the 2nd time I recommended you getting an out of state ID... funny!

Top Top