Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 8:02:11 AM EDT
I just searched the state websites of the states surrounding NY and all of them have state run shooting ranges or provide some incentive for private ranges to allow public access. This includes NJ believe it or not (limited to black power and .22's). However, NY has nothing! Here are the links:

CT
PA
RI
MA
MD

I didn't put in a link to NJ since they prohibit centerfire pistols and rifles!

I live in Orange county and while there are some private clubs in the area, they are very expensive and memberships are limited. The 2  public ranges around here are indoor ranges and only 1 allows the use of rifles. The population in Orange is booming with new developments going up every day. There is a club in the town where I live but new houses are springing up all around it. It's only a matter of time before one of the new owners who moved up here from the "City" starts complaining about the noise.

I think it's time that we bring this up to our elected reps in Albany. Why is NY the only state in the region that provides no facilities for us shooters?  We pay taxes just like everyone else. Additionally, while I don't hunt, the state probably collects hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars each year in hunting license fees.

Open space is becoming rare these days up here so I don't even know where a range could be located. The situation may not be as bad in other areas of the state. I know there are a lot of ranges out on the Island so it might not be so bad out there.

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get it off my chest!

Whisky19
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Westchester county has Blue Mountain is in Peekskill. They have a 100 yard line for rifle. They only allow single shot firing so it isn't too much fun if you're looking to go blasting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
NY has town and county run shooting ranges. What's the difference? And why would you want state run ranges? Just like the town ranges, they are usually very restrictive.  Mag capacity limits seem to be the norm, even in Pennsylvania and sometimes the range officers are the state police. Not very appealing if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I'm looking at it from only my own perspective in Orange but there are NO town ranges and NO county ranges. If I want to shoot my AR I have to drive about an hour to Westchester where I get to shoot 1 round at a time or I can drive 1 1/2 hours to Connecticut or 2 hours to Long Island.

I've been to High Rock in CT which is located in a State park. Nice place and they allow "controlled" rapid fire. I'm just looking for something similar in NY. Again, even with their own restrictive AWB's, CT and MA at least provide places where gun owners can shoot. NY should do the same.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You could move farther away from the "Bright City Lights" and join a Club for $100 a year.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
or even further away and pay $40 a year.

or further yet and use your back yard hehehh
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You could move farther away from the "Bright City Lights" and join a Club for $100 a year. hr

Closer to $200-$300 here in CNY w/ restrictions on mags etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Orange County is NYC Lite. Move further upstate.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
$55 a year, only rule is no .50s and we've broken that one eh Raptor?

Down any airliners?
FlamingGlory, whereabouts are you in CNY? I live in Syracuse.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Drive 1/2 an hour west into PA and shoot on the state game land ranges for free, one right over the border on Route 6. 100yd rifle, 50 yd and 25 yd as well, 3 round limit in mags. Check PA website. I84 west to second exit over the border.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FlamingGlory, whereabouts are you in CNY? I live in Syracuse.  Just wondering.

I actually live in Syracuse too. Not from the area though, only 'ranges' I can seem to find are pistol and skeet clubs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Drive 1/2 an hour west into PA and shoot on the state game land ranges for free, one right over the border on Route 6. 100yd rifle, 50 yd and 25 yd as well, 3 round limit in mags. Check PA website. I84 west to second exit over the border.

Hmm...might be worthwhile getting a PA Non-Res Pistol License too for that reason... anybody have any info on that?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Mad Dog,

check packing.org for permit info. I got a PA non-res in about 2 weeks, but they also honor the FLA non-res which is the best deal out there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks EMT.  I understand the FL might be a little more comprehensive (honored in more places) but I think I remember reading somewhere that they were a bit of a hassle to obtain (classes, etc.)  I'm hoping the PA one is a little less work to get.  I had to jump through hoops for my NY one and don't feel like doing all that again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to give that a try. Thx.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks EMT.  I understand the FL might be a little more comprehensive (honored in more places) but I think I remember reading somewhere that they were a bit of a hassle to obtain (classes, etc.)  I'm hoping the PA one is a little less work to get.  I had to jump through hoops for my NY one and don't feel like doing all that again.

The FL CCW license is a simple application and the only hassle is getting your prints/photos taken and the application notarized. You most likely already meet the training requirements.

You don't need a CCW license to simply transport/possess a handgun in PA as long as it is unloaded and transported in compliance with USC 926A.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to the Sheriff's Dept. in Milford PA with your NY carry permit and fill out the application.  That is it.

Thank you for the info!!  Any day of the week okay?  Do I need an appointment?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
maddog, I would call the Sheriff's Office before going there. Some Sheriff Departments in PA require references, passport photos etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#25]
rkbar15, are NYS regs (lead, noise, proximity) for shooting ranges by county?  
Hypothetical- if I was to try and build a range in NY, what ordinances would I have to contend with?  I'm just wondering, because I and a bunch of friends were talking about starting our own shooting club.  It wasn't serious talk, but more or less a "how cool would that be" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
rkbar15, are NYS regs (lead, noise, proximity) for shooting ranges by county?  
Hypothetical- if I was to try and build a range in NY, what ordinances would I have to contend with?  I'm just wondering, because I and a bunch of friends were talking about starting our own shooting club.  It wasn't serious talk, but more or less a "how cool would that be" kind of thing.

Proximity is state-wide, although counties may be stricter.
Ordinances could vary from place to place.

Don't forget that you'd have to deal with Federal alws as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top