Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
I was reading up on SBR's and I know it is next to impossible to get one in NYS but..... I noticed that if you form a corporation in other states it makes getting your tax stamp much easier and allows you to skip the processes of finger printing and a CLEO sign off. In general dealing with the BATFE is made much simpler and faster.

Here is the question....

Is there any loop holes in NYS law that would allow you to form a corporation to obtain pistol permits any easier or faster? How about any other type of regulated firearm like SBR's or MG's?

Or are we all just screwed?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I think pistol permits are always only for individuals, so I don't think forming a corporation would help
only thing I can think of that would make it easier to get one would be if you could prove you were being hired as a cop and needed the permit before you could be officially hired
but I'm kind of guessing and don't know for a fact
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no such thing as a corporate carry permit, they are all issued individually.  Even security companies must have a permitted "gun custodian" to hold their guns.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Except for a few exceptions (you don't qualify) it is illegal to possess a MG, SBR or SBS in NYS.

Most LEA's do not allow their sworn personnel to be issued a NYS Pistol License. Although LEO's "carry" on their shields their department and personally owned handguns are registered in a separate NYSP pistol database.

LEO's also need a letter of authorization from their department in order to purchase a handgun and some departments restrict the type of handgun you can purchase.  Many of the cops I know have their personally owned handguns registered on their spouses permit to get around that requirement.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry ZW17 for going off topic a little....  I don't know if this is still the case, but as of a couple years ago, the sheriff in my county made his deputies get a NYS pistol permit to purchase any personal handguns.  He wouldn't allow personally owned handguns to be owned "on the badge."  The funny thing is, as these deputies live in a county that issues "Hunting & Target" carry permits, they all have restricted permits too.  Practically speaking, this has no real bearing on them as they can carry on their badges, it's just kind of funny that the county won't even lift restrictions for their own LEO's.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sorry ZW17 for going off topic a little....  I don't know if this is still the case, but as of a couple years ago, the sheriff in my county made his deputies get a NYS pistol permit to purchase any personal handguns.  He wouldn't allow personally owned handguns to be owned "on the badge."  The funny thing is, as these deputies live in a county that issues "Hunting & Target" carry permits, they all have restricted permits too.  Practically speaking, this has no real bearing on them as they can carry on their badges, it's just kind of funny that the county won't even lift restrictions for their own LEO's.

Don't know where you live, but thats been the case here for at least 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry to continue with off topic post - when I worked in CPS agency in Westchester mid 80's we could not carry with out FIRST getting a pistol permit, and we could not purchase on our tin: Department regulations.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top