Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:38:12 PM EDT
Ok guys my CCW is expired. Im close to a year expired now. I havent carried in awhile, but would like to get licensed again. I know I have to go in person to renew the permit, but do I have to get fingerprinted again? Also if I do, would it be possible for them to do a few cards for some NFA firearms Ill be purchasing soon? Whats the best way to get someone to print me? Do I call the PD and make an appointment? TIA
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok guys my CCW is expired. Im close to a year expired now. I havent carried in awhile, but would like to get licensed again. I know I have to go in person to renew the permit, but do I have to get fingerprinted again? Also if I do, would it be possible for them to do a few cards for some NFA firearms Ill be purchasing soon? Whats the best way to get someone to print me? Do I call the PD and make an appointment? TIA

I dont think theres any req to be there in person...although thats how I did it when I lived in NH as the PD was so close to home. I think now theres a uniform procedure for all towns and fingerprints arent taken any more. I know at one time there were a few towns that fingerprinted but Im pretty sure that a thing of the past b/c of complaints of nonuniform treatment.

If you plan to use the cards soon then Id call ahead and make an appt. Otherwise id wait until closer to the time youll be getting your LEO signoff. Usually theyll want to at least have a brief chat and at that time you could do the prints. That just me though...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got my NH CCW permit this summer and there was not a fingerprint requriement.  I picked up the form, sat down and filled it out and handed it over to the dispatcher with the cash.  The next morning I got a knock on my door and a local officer welcomed me to town and gave me my permit.  It doesn't get any easier!

In the past I've called the non-emergency line and asked to schedule an appointment to get printed.  They let you know it's a slow time to come in and as long as your patient you are all set.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I also just renewed mine after a year plus lapse with the same expereince as CFFUTS23 only I had to pick it up at the station.  All in all, very easy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet this is good news. Man when I was first getting it done the printing thing was almost impossible to get done. They just didnt want to bother doing it. I finally got it done after a few weeks of phoning in looking for a good time to go there. I work normal hours and travel so its hard to get there, and they werent willing to make an appointment for me to go in. Now it sounds alot easier to get done.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#5]
In the past there were towns (CLEOs) who didnt really care for CCW. They would put up all legal obsticles to discourage it. Fingerpriting was one of those hoops. Some of the problem towns were unlikely others weren't surprising. The Leader had an article about it and ultimately the legislature took it up and passed a uniform set of requirements and paperwork. So now no matter where you get your license the form and procedure is the same.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In the past there were towns (CLEOs) who didnt really care for CCW. They would put up all legal obsticles to discourage it. Fingerpriting was one of those hoops. Some of the problem towns were unlikely others weren't surprising. The Leader had an article about it and ultimately the legislature took it up and passed a uniform set of requirements and paperwork. So now no matter where you get your license the form and procedure is the same.

RSA 159:26 Firearms and Ammunition; Authority of the State.

I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.

II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, or firearms supplies shall be null and void.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top