Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 5:41:21 AM EDT
An employee at a fairly large gun shop in the western part of the state told me that you can only collect class III weapons in MI but cannot fire them, including silencers.

Although the NFA game is waaaay too expensive and waaaay too regulated for my tastes, I am curious as to the actual laws here.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen a guy shooting a silenced MP5 around here. I know many guys take their machine guns to the pit. I am not sure that this guy knows exactly what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I heard you can still get Curios and relics. I think Lumpy223 is trying to go that route.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
An employee at a fairly large gun shop in the western part of the state told me that you can only collect class III weapons in MI but cannot fire them, including silencers.

That does not make any sense at all!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That's exactly what I thought!

I remember back in my ROTC days we got to shoot full-auto with some civilians who were at the base for a get-together.

I mentioned this to the gun shop guy, and he said that military bases are fed property and therefore have different rules.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Was this shop in Kzoo?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Pardon the expression but that is utter horseshit. Michigan State Law allows holders of a Curio & Relics Federal Firearms License to collect, own, and shoot class 3 weapons that qualify as a curio & relic firearm. You still need to jump through all the other associated class 3 ownership hoops, but you can own them if you have the money. Silencers is another issue. I am pretty sure they are not allowed.

Check out this thread where a bunch of Michiganders got together in Lapeer and brought out there class 3 stuff and allowed us to drool over it and shoot it. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=169949&w=searchPop

I can ever get my stinking bills better aligned, I plan on joining the ranks of those with class 3 stuff.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Was this shop in Kzoo?

Yup.  On Target.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Stop put to the Pit on the 19th and you will see how wrong he is.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Where/what is "The Pit"?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where/what is "The Pit"?

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
QCMGR - thanks!

Can you explain a bit more - is the Pit public, private, other?  Set ranges?  Its a hike for me, but I'm always up for shootin'.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
QCMGR - thanks!

Can you explain a bit more - is the Pit public, private, other?  Set ranges?  Its a hike for me, but I'm always up for shootin'.

It is in an old gravel pit in Lapeer.  it is on State Land and the Full Auto guys have been using it for a while.  It is a good time, I hope you can attend.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I no longer buy from On Target.  They are gun snobs.  No knowledge just an attitude.  This spring I did buy a gun safe from them and the first guy I was talking to had shit running out of his mouth, until I asked to talk to someone who knew what he was talking about.  You should have seen the look on his face.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
They are both ignorant and expensive.  At least Guns Galore has good deals.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe this is not the first time that On Target has given me poor information.

Their gun smithing is poor as well; I dropped a stainless barreled upper off there last year to be coated black.  After a month and a half, I finally got ahold of someone who told me that they no longer offer that service.  They had my upper the whole time.  I guess they figured I would forget about it.

Where is Guns Galore?

I'm assuming I should just check the MI section for Pit updates, correct?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Silencers are for dealers and manufacturers only in Michigan. As far as I've found.
www.advanced-armament.com/map.htm
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I believe this is not the first time that On Target has given me poor information.

Their gun smithing is poor as well; I dropped a stainless barreled upper off there last year to be coated black.  After a month and a half, I finally got ahold of someone who told me that they no longer offer that service.  They had my upper the whole time.  I guess they figured I would forget about it.

Where is Guns Galore?

I'm assuming I should just check the MI section for Pit updates, correct?

The MI section is a good place to start.  Guns Galore is in Fenton near Flint.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top