Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:44:59 PM EDT
There's a 50/50 chance I'll be moving to North Carolina.  I'd like to know what the NFA rules are there.  Specifically:

1) Machineguns
2) Short Barreled Rifles (SBR's)
3) Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS's)
4) Any Other Weapons (AOW's)
5) Suppressors
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
There's a 50/50 chance I'll be moving to North Carolina.  I'd like to know what the NFA rules are there.  Specifically:

1) Machineguns
2) Short Barreled Rifles (SBR's)
3) Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS's)
4) Any Other Weapons (AOW's)
5) Suppressors

#1 is a definate no no due to some obscure state law from 1928 or some such something or other. #'s 2 through 5 are all dependant on your local cheif law enforcement officer. Some CLEO's will sign off on SBR's and AOW's and some won't. It's just a matter of which county you move to.  My county, Cabarrus, will not sign off on suppressors or SBR's. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
All NFA weapons are allowed in North Carolina. Certain NFA weapons do fall under the "Weapons of Mass Death and Destruction" clause in the North Carolina Code such as machine guns. The respective statututory sections are 14-409, and 14-288.8. For those weapons that are included in this clause, one needs to obtain a permit from your county Sheriff. According to NC Code, there are strict guidelines for individuals that wish to posess these "Weapons of Mass Death and Destruction". In a nutshell, you must either need to posess them for your occupation (Law Enforcement/Military) or need to posess them for scientific study. The only other way the Sheriff will issue the permit is if you are a licensed FFL. A common way to get the permits is the FFL route. I know of several folks that got their C&R FFL and use that to get the needed permits for posessing "Weapons of Mass Death and Destruction". The C&R FFL is only $30 bucks to renew so it is not a bad deal. Bottom line is it is possible, you just have to jump through a few extra hoops to do it.

If you need to see how the code is written go to this website:

http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt

Hope this info helps.

Dan
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the county/city.
May want to check out the States website on bringing AW/AOW from another state.

Where in NC are you planning on moving?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't do it in Guilford County.  Only ones here are owned by incorp's.  I guess Sheriff Barnes doesn't care enough about officer safety to sign for the law abiding, and then have a record of the weapons location.  As it stands now, he doesn't know where any of them are until they stumble across one....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It all depends on the county you move to.
Machineguns CAN be legally owned in NC same with all other NFA items...you just have to get the approval of the Sheriff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]
It would appear that my gun rights in NC are at the whim of the local Sherrif?  I'll be living near Pope AFB, so which counties around there are good, which are bad?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the Cumberland county sheriff has signed off on stuff for people in the past.  Dont know about now though....I left that place a number of years ago (2001)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Machineguns in NC are regulated by a law from 1933

AOWs are NOT regulated in any state statute. You can incorp to get them.

The other NFA weapons are regulated as Weapons of Mass Death and Destruction, a law from 1969 that mirrors the Federal NFA.  Why NC lawmakers think they needed a redundant law I dunno.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top