Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 10:26:01 PM EDT
Weee!  Picked it up today (Thanks PK90 ).  It's in excellent shape, but needs some serious cleaning of cosmoline.  It even has some nifty flip-up nightsights!

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Here's the page where I'll be posting up more pictures as I clean:
GoingIncognito's 2:15 am Yugo SKS webpage...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good!!! I know a guy in CO. who does excellent trigger work very quickly and reasonably if you want to take most of the slack and long pull out of that trigger. I can hit an empty 20lb. propane tank off the bench at 200 yards easily with mine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can hit an empty 20lb. propane tank off the bench at 200 yards easily with mine.

At least I hope it's empty!

After I get it all cleaned up and get in some range time I'll see if I want to get any work done on it.  Hopefully I'll have enough time today to get much of the cosmoline off, but we'll see...Wife may not approve of me using the oven...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice SKS...Also, if thats the Yugo ammo that comes on the stripper clips, I believe its corrosive, so be sure to clean the gun accordingly after shooting. Are you going to bring it to the NJ Blast? Here is a good for step by step photos of how to take it all apart and get it all cleaned....enjoy..
www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the ammo is most certainly corrisive (1977 dated Yugoslavian manufacture).  It'll be getting a good cleaning after getting home from each time at the range.

I won't be making it to the blast, though, as I'll be on a cruise .
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
That old cosmoline is like glue when trying to get the damn thing apart...I'm letting it soak in the sun right now.  My fingers are sore as hell from trying to pry the barrel/reciever off the stocks...Finally got it.  I'm not quite sure how they got cosmoline in some of these places, but oh well ....I only got a little on myself...my shirt...pants....hands...everything I touched...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Very Nice

Whats that pointy thingy on the front
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, that pig sticker looks cool hanging underneath the barrel.

I wonder if those sighting dots are just painted on, or if its really luminous material?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very Nice

If it's a 59/66, a grenade launcher

edit- you said pointy
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very Nice

If it's a 59/66, a grenade launcher

edit- you said pointy

I was making light of the BAYONET, never see them in NJ. That is one nice SKS, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Nice Yugo............ Bring her to Dix
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Welp, after like 6 hours straight of cleaning I'm finally finished!  There was tons of cosmoline packed in all sorts of places.  After letting it sit in pieces in the sun for about an hour I got out my wife's pressure steamer thing and steamed all the metal parts to get off as much cosmoline as possible.  I steamed the various parts for 2 hours straight!  Then I soaked the parts in solvent, scrubbed them, cleaned the bore and gas piston/cylinder, took the bolt assembly apart (which took an hour to get the stupid retaining pin out).  Put it all back together (lightly oiled), and viola.  Now I'm tired as hell.  I can hardly type right.

The pointy bit adds character .    I'm too tired for Dix tomrrow.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been fondling one down in a local shop.  The grades and price vary from $129-$200.  The $200 one is the one I want.  Nice laminated stop, unissued.  The next few days it will be MINE!  

9/22 update

It is now in my possession.   Degreasing process will commence tonight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally got out of bed just now...boy was I tired!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#16]
That's  a PERTY rifle

I am looking to pick one up also to round out my collection.

I just picked up a pre pre ban AK47. I am refinishing it now, Came with Bayo, cleaning kit, oiler, 4 mags,  And leather they call a sling.

Hunter Sports has a nice SKS with a scope on it that I am thinking of getting
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I need to work a bit of wood oil into the stocks to make em color up a bit and then it's set.  I can't wait to go shoot it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I see shooting my SKS at Buckeye has brought you over to the DARK SIDE!!!!

Nice rifle...

What did it run you???

I can not have a pig sticker on the end of my Norinco SKS...
(Jersey laws make no sense!)

Glad you picked something up besides the handguns. Now you will be able to reach out and touch things from a distance!!!

RW3
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I see shooting my SKS at Buckeye has brought you over to the DARK SIDE!!!!

Nice rifle...

What did it run you???

I can not have a pig sticker on the end of my Norinco SKS...
(Jersey laws make no sense!)

Glad you picked something up besides the handguns. Now you will be able to reach out and touch things from a distance!!!

RW3

It was $139.95 from AIM, plus $13 or so shipping.  Really it was a great deal, especially considering what excellent condition it's in.  It's not perfect, but it's certainly damn good.  Those bowling pins better watch out!!!

I just got me two M1 Garands, too.  I got a Greek HRA Correct Grade and a USGI SA Rack Grade.  The Rack Grade is actually amazing looking, with only 1 small crack that I'm not even going to worry about.  They didn't mark TE/MW, but the bullet test rates the same as my Correct Grade.  The Correct Grade is alright, honestly.  All the parts matching makes it cool, though.  The metal is in excellent condition, but the stocks are so-so, with the buttstock not matching the handguards and being minorly beat up.  But all is well as I'm going to work on it a bit.  I think the handguards just need some oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top