Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 1:39:41 PM EDT
Moving to Austin at the end of August and I am curious about guns laws, places to shoot, etc.  I'm coming from Alabama (born & raised) by way of Louisiana (final education stop).  AL & LA are open carry states but I've read Texas is not...is that correct?

I dabble in some high power rifle competition on occasion and would like to continue.  Also, I enjoy building AKs, ARs, and FALs.  Any build parties in the area?

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome Jim:
What part of Austin are you settling in?  That might help those of us that will
tell you about places to shoot.

Here is a link to a page that has info, and places to shoot.
www.krtraining.com/

DanM
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not from Austin but...

Texas does not have open carry.

You can apply for your CHL after 6 month residency.

You can carry in your vehicle.

For the high power rifle and other goodies check out Tiger Valley about 90 min north of you.

www.tigervalley.com/

The Central Texas crew will be along in a bit!  

Welcome to Texas!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
you should live on the southside of the river, its better for a million reasons. reds indoor range is ok to go to
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you should live on the southside of the river, its better for a million reasons. reds indoor range is ok to go to

Disregard that. You need to live north of Austin in Williamson county. It is much more conservative than Travis county.

Send me a PM if you want details.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unfortunately South Austin is full of gun hating ultra liberals...  Its also a lot more expensive than North Austin, Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Cedar Park.  If you go south due to work considerations, its probably best to go south of the Austin city limits to Kyle, Buda or maybe even San Marcos.

Red's North in Pflugerville is a much nicer range than their South location too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Are y'all still fighting the Colorado River battle between the Bubba's & Yuppies?  

Be prepared for some very interesting characters around town, especially the closer you get to the drag.  FYI, Hill Country on the western part of town is conservative - also to the north of town.  Austin prime, actually Travis County is traditionally liberal.  

Good luck sorting out all the fruits.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]

This is no longer the case.  You can apply as soon as you get a Texas ID/DL.

You need to keep handguns out of "plain view" though.

You can download the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws booklet here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately South Austin is full of gun hating ultra liberals...  Its also a lot more expensive than North Austin, Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Cedar Park.  If you go south due to work considerations, its probably best to go south of the Austin city limits to Kyle, Buda or maybe even San Marcos.

Red's North in Pflugerville is a much nicer range than their South location too.

However, if someone besides me moves south, eventuall our numbers will grow and we can push the liberal, ultra gun hating yuppies into the river.  :D  Shot me an im if you need any help finding thing or want advice on places to live.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Unless I'm missing something, section GC411.172 is quite clear about being a resident for 6 months prior to application.

A NON-Resident License has no requirement.  GC411.173
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

Unless I'm missing something, section GC411.172 is quite clear about being a resident for 6 months prior to application.

IIRC the 6 month requirement was dropped.

My wife's from AL, too - from the Talladega area. That has worked out nicely for a couple of races. Send me an e-mail if you need any help gettin' around.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The afore-mentioned KR Training is also a good place for the CHL class.

Highpower is shot regularly at Austin Rifle Club, in Manor, just outside Austin. Tiger Valley (east of Waco) is a great facility, but he does not have matches regularly. It has a 1000 yard range and he has "open" shoots occasionally.

When picking a place to live around Austin, I would say look at where you are working, and look at the commute in and decide where to live accordingly. If you are working in south Austin, then living around Georgetown (north of Austin) would make for an uncomfortable drive. I live in the boonies and my commute in takes less time than some people who live close. Just depends.

Lee

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to Texas! I will be moving into downtown Austin in one week to start an internship there for the summer. I'm living right across from the campus, which will be slightly odd for an Ag like me, but I'm looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]

It was dropped in 1997 IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Howdy & Welcome to Texas and the Austin Area

If you are wanting to shoot High Power then you need to join the Austin Rifle Club.

Also their range is excellent for distance shooting and rates are reasonable if you shoot fairly often.

On the N. Austin Vs. S. Austin it is kind of a wash.  I'd highly suggest NOT living in the city limits.

Better deals and better Govt. if you go out of the city limits (South to Buda or Kyle) or North to Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander or East to Bastrop or Manor.

Austin's city Gov is so busy trying to turn Austin into Berkeley, so keep that in mind!

Welcome to Austin & Texas!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the info.  You Texans seem to be a nice bunch.  I had the opportunity to dine with Halffast last summer while attending an army school in San Antonio.  He offered to tell me how his latest novel was going to end but I turned him down and have regretted it ever since.  Can I assume the rest of you are just as friendly as him?

Not sure where around Austin we will eventually settle down….too many variables.  I am moving there to work with a startup software company located near the new AMD campus on SW Parkway but if all goes well the company will move to a larger office TBD.   Additionally, I will be teaching a class or two in the evenings at TSU’s Round Rock campus as adjunct faculty but if the startup thing fizzles I might seek a tenure track position at the main campus in San Marcos.  Throw in considerations for the wife’s job, school districts, housing market, etc. and it gets complicated.

My initial move to Austin will be as a geographical bachelor with the wife & kids following sometime around January.   Luckily, I have a buddy that is letting me stay in his guest bedroom until I learn more about the area.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the area. I'm in Hippy-central (Travis Heights). All the ranges are in the surrounding areas: I'm really fond of Eagle Peak in Leander (just north of Austin). As others have said, you might also look into Austin Rifle club (it's actually in Manor, just east of Austin).

Basically, if what you said in your last post pans out, you'll have a chance to live in some of the conservative areas of Austin (AMD=Oak Hill, Teaching=Round Rock/San Marcos).

As liberal as it is, I love living here. It's a beautiful place that's wasted on most of the population (just my opinion).
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#17]
As Goldtop said you should check out eagle peak for rifle shooting. Their range goes out to 300 yards. I go to the reds indoor south location a lot to shoot, they've got a 100 yard indoor range. Welcome to Austin, it'd definitely a fun city.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly why we bought in the Kyle/Buda area
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to Texas and the Austin area. Although I technically live in Pflugerville right on the border between Austin and P-Ville.

One piece of advice for you. Dont speed around too much on the highways and if you ever need A/C service for your house DO NOT use a company by the name of Air Services LLC.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
DO NOT LIVE IN WILLIAMSON COUNTY IF YOU LIKE CLASS 3 TOYS! :)

ARC is the place to go for highpower/pistol/rim fire sillohuette. Nice facility, FMJ ok.

Living IN the city is great if you work in or out of the city. HOWEVER, if you get a job in or on the the other side of the city from where you live, you will hate the commute.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in South Austin, and I love it.  I do not go north of the river unless I have to.  Austin is a great place.  Plenty to do here.  Feel free to contact me anytime by IM or Email and I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about the area.  

I will not shoot at Red's or Eagle Peak, they suck IMHO.

If you live south, you can shoot at Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart.  Its a fantastic range run buy a guy named Matt.  He's a member here and a good guy.  

The gun club here is a good idea from what I understand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Austin is an excellent place, although it has it's weirder elements.  In the downtown Travis county area, the rest of the crew is right in that the liberal element is strong but ignorable for the most part.  They do tend to get a little butthurt over conservatives who won't share their views, particularly on gun control.  Fortunately to good old boy element is also strong, and Texas will never be short on guns.  As Travis County caters to a lot of state government types and a lot of college students, it tends to be more tolerant on certain extra legal substances.

Williamson county, towards the north of town, is much more conservative and it's been said the good old boys have run amok.  They tend to be much more tolerant about guns and big trucks and have zero tolerance for anything extra-legal.  I've also found that they are much more lenient with white folks who live in their county, unless you have long hair, then all bets are off.  

There are some good shooting spots, and everyone has a favorite or two.  I personally like Eagle Peak when it's below 100 degrees outside (nice outdoor range) and Red's indoor when it's too damn hot to be outside.  I've been to Lone Star in Lockhart for CHL qualification, and the range was ok.  The owner Matt was a dick to my wife, though, so we don't go there anymore.  Too much push on military drilling for women folk just starting out.  

The Saxet gun show is every 3rd weekend of the month like clockwork, and is a great way to spend an afternoon.  Hundreds of guns, knives, and related paraphernalia.  It's in north austin.  

There seems to be something for everyone here in Austin, so I think you'll fit in.  Welcome aboard.

Arioch
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I live in South Austin, and I love it.  I do not go north of the river unless I have to.  Austin is a great place.  Plenty to do here.  Feel free to contact me anytime by IM or Email and I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about the area.  

If you live south, you can shoot at Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart.  Its a fantastic range run buy a guy named Matt.  He's a member here and a good guy.  

HA!  one closer to victory in South Austin.  You must join us.  Need more neighbors with BRD instead of non survivalist garden types who  have stop the war now signs and bumper stickers of "not my president."  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA!  one closer to victory in South Austin.  You must join us.  Need more neighbors with BRD instead of non survivalist garden types who  have stop the war now signs and bumper stickers of "not my president."  

I'm with ya.  But my hippie neighbors have no idea...unless they read the NRA sticker on the back of my Jeep....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

It was dropped in 1997 IIRC.

It was still in effect when I moved here in late 1999. Actually I moved the wife here in late '99, and I established residency at the same time. When I physically moved here in Apr 00, my 6 months was almost up. TX did not honor my other states' permits. I tend to recall that the 6-month req was dropped about 2 years ago (+/-), but I may be off on that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm with ya.  But my hippie neighbors have no idea...unless they read the NRA sticker on the back of my Jeep....

I think a few of my immediate neighbors are starting to get wise to me since they have seen me lugging my vest, shooting bag and gun cases to the car a few times to head to the range.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I live down here in South West Austin, just west of Oak Hill. LOVE IT. I am just outside City Limits, but my address is officially Austin, TX. It's more scenic around here and less concrete jungle than up North in the RR areas.

I have been to Red's, but I'm looking for a good outdoor range nearby. I haven't yet checked out Lone Star, but will now, thanks for the info.

Kevin
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#28]

It was still in effect when I moved here in late 1999. Actually I moved the wife here in late '99, and I established residency at the same time. When I physically moved here in Apr 00, my 6 months was almost up. TX did not honor my other states' permits. I tend to recall that the 6-month req was dropped about 2 years ago (+/-), but I may be off on that.

My bad, looks like it wasn't fixed until 2003 (!) with HB 1704.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm also transplanting to Austin, so thanks for starting this thread.

Any of you kind Austinites want to meet up for lunch next week, and talk about places to live and things to do in Austin? I'll be in town scouting out hospitals and places to live from june 4th to the 12th.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:

But, if the police officer finds out you will still go to jail, even if its legal. So go with CHL.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, if the police officer finds out you will still go to jail, even if its legal. So go with CHL.

What makes you say that?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Always visiting in-laws in austin.  Tagged for info on ranges
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you say that?

+2 unless you leave it in the cup holder or something equally stupid.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone have any experience with Sheriff Hamilton (Travis County) and CLASS 3 CLEO sign offs?  Will he sign off? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you say that?

+3
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you say that?

+3

I don't think he's coming back to this thread for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Always visiting in-laws in austin.  Tagged for info on ranges

Personally I say stay away from Reds.  It's loud, and expensive.  Eagle peak is a nice facility, but for me it's not even an option as you can't shoot FMJ rifle.  Plus, I live down south and Eagle Peak is up north.  That leaves one, Lone Star Gun Range.  LSGR is not expensive, and you can shoot as much pistol, and rifle you want.  Draw from a holster, and govern yourself.  I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with Sheriff Hamilton (Travis County) and CLASS 3 CLEO sign offs?  Will he sign off? Thanks!

The last I heard Sheriff Hamilton will sign for any NFA.  It has been about a year since my last CLEO sig, but I have not heard of any changes.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#40]
+1 for the Austin Rifle Club.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

he's signed 4 for me in the past year.
most recent was december.

be polite and courteous to the girls there.  they're used to dealing with idiots and will welcome the break.....

NW Hills represented.  conservative and nice.  I live a little over a mile from where I spent the first 10 years of my life.  strong neighborhood presence, tight knit.  I like it a lot.  good neighbors, very few hippies, no drag worms/freaks to speak of.  my kids go to elementary school where I did.  hard to beat that....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top