Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:08:21 PM EDT
What would be the state you would move to outside of NY yet would still be possible to commute into NY? I'm starting to seriously consider this for next year. The taxes are insane, the gun laws pathetic (especially for pistols), and I don't see either ever getting any better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Easton PA is nice and very close to NJ and NY. There is a great range there as well.

Whatever you do don't move to NJ.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for PA. as soon as they can rid themselves of the asshat Rendell it'll be a perfect state again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
While PA is way better than NY, it is sliding down hill fast.  I lived there for 27 years, and still have friends that live there.

And, if you are from upstate NY, you will slit your throat moving down to the Lehigh Valley area.  My family, and my wife's family are from down there.  My head nearly explodes when it takes me 45 minutes to go 13 miles to visit someone.  When I was younger it was a 15 minute ride.

Everything from Allentown to NYC is becoming an extension of NYC.  It's pushing up land prices and taxes.

My informal research tells me that the solution is to find a state with out a big liberal city to force it's will on the rest of the state.  Unfortunately, with the steel mills dying off, Pittsburg is becoming liberal.  Philly and Harrisburg already are liberal.

Given your travel constraints, I'd look to VT or NH.  Personally, I'm looking west.  When the timing is right I'll be headed for the Dakota's, Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho.

Doesn't it suck, when the politicians, liberals, and elitists ruin a state for the people who bust their asses to make their life easy?

Unfortunately, as more of "us" move out of a state, more of "them" take over.  The more states they take over, the more control they exert over the fed.  And eventually, they still screw us by working through the feds.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I just purchased 12 acres in Angel Fire New Mexico. Approx 70 miles north of Santa Fe. I plan on have a house built within the next two years. My retirement date is 5/2/09. I am really looking forward to this. Gun laws? what gun laws?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Commute to where in NY? Your only choices are PA and VT depending on where you want to commute to in NY. VT has some advantages but the taxing situation sucks. Your best bet is to move to NH.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Commute to where in NY? Your only choices are PA and VT depending on where you want to commute to in NY. VT has some advantages but the taxing situation sucks. Your best bet is to move to NH.

NYC
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Yikes! A surprising number of people commute from the Philly PA area to Manhattan by train. Personally I think you'd have to be nuts to spend four hours a day commuting to work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
PA.

Imagine that a lowly subject like you or me could have shall issue CCW ($20 for 5 years), Supressors, MG's, SBR's and LEO/GOV marked High capacity magazines.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm trying to find a job down in north/central FL.  NFA friendly.  No AWB.  Shall issue CCW.  Castle doctrine.   Two seasons, summer and not summer.  No snow.  The occasional hurricane but I lived through 3 in two months.  Plus it would be nice to be able to buy guns and mags without worrying if they conform to a draconian and unnecessary law.

My list of bank account draining, kick-ass stuff to buy includes:
Some sort of machine gun
PS-90 SBR with 50-round mags out the wazoo
AR-15 SBR with suppressor
AK Krink SBR with suppressor
AR's and AK's with the full range of evil features
Lots and lots of new manufacture rifle and pistol large capacity ammunition feeding devices
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
PA.

Imagine that a lowly subject like you or me could have shall issue CCW ($20 for 5 years), Supressors, MG's, SBR's and LEO/GOV marked High capacity magazines.

This is becoming a serious consideration for me. It would be nice to be able to walk into a gun store and then 10 minutes later walk out with a pistol. It's BS to need a permit to even own a pistol, a permit or CCW I understand but otherwise its BS.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What would be the state you would move to outside of NY yet would still be possible to commute into NY? I'm starting to seriously consider this for next year. The taxes are insane, the gun laws pathetic (especially for pistols), and I don't see either ever getting any better.

I'm in your shoes too.

The problem is PA is too dang far to commute.  Easy 4 hrs total.  But then again, I do 3 now door to door and that's just Rockland County.  I need a good school system too and that's limited in PA from what my wife and I have been reading.  A suggestion from the HTF of PA is below US 78.  The north is not open to people from NY/NJ.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

WHAT, you know someone who commutes between VT and NYC?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I did the commute from CT to NYC every day for a few years.  It wasn't that bad and my office was in midtown (Penn Station) with travels down to the financial district.

The guns laws in CT suck, but certainly not as bad as NYS.  No mag restirction and no BS permitting system for pistols, like NY.  Oh, and no mag restrictions.

Not as nice as PA, as the taxes suck, traffic blows, expensive RE prices but we suck less than NY.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I did the commute from CT to NYC every day for a few years.  It wasn't that bad and my office was in midtown (Penn Station) with travels down to the financial district.

The guns laws in CT suck, but certainly not as bad as NYS.  No mag restirction and no BS permitting system for pistols, like NY.  Oh, and no mag restrictions.

Not as nice as PA, as the taxes suck, traffic blows, expensive RE prices but we suck less than NY.

How about the burbs of CT?

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm trying to find a job down in north/central FL.  NFA friendly.  No AWB.  Shall issue CCW.  Castle doctrine.   Two seasons, summer and not summer.  No snow.  The occasional hurricane but I lived through 3 in two months.  Plus it would be nice to be able to buy guns and mags without worrying if they conform to a draconian and unnecessary law.

My list of bank account draining, kick-ass stuff to buy includes:
Some sort of machine gun
PS-90 SBR with 50-round mags out the wazoo
AR-15 SBR with suppressor
AK Krink SBR with suppressor
AR's and AK's with the full range of evil features
Lots and lots of new manufacture rifle and pistol large capacity ammunition feeding devices

I don't forsee us ever living in the land of my ancestors birth and IMHO Central and South Florida can be compaired to South & Central Los Angles    If it was to ever happen it would be in North-Northwest Florida.  hurricanes really aren't all that bad IF you built right and prepaired properly....been there, done that more than once.

Handgun licenses? handgun licenses! we don't need no stink'n handgun licenseses!     Class III: If you can pay, you can play.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that was before he said it was NYC. People in VT and MA commute to jobs in the Albany area.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I guess I live in the 'burbs and my description is accurate, from my perspective.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I live in the 'burbs and my description is accurate, from my perspective.

Care to make some recommendations?  I think PA is out and I don't want to go from bad to worst and see myself in NJ.

TIA
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that was before he said it was NYC. People in VT and MA commute to jobs in the Albany area.  

Very true for most people.

People who can afford it (not me) can 'commute' to NYC from VT. What they do is buy a house in VT and maintain a whatever they can afford in NYC. Monday morning is a 1 hour drive to the Rensselaer Amtrak station, leave car there, and take train into city. Stay Mon - Thur night in city and commute back to VT Friday after work. Not ideal or an option for most, but it works for some folks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top