Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2014 10:52:28 AM EDT
I am thru buying deer rifles. I rarely get to hunt and don't want to keep a damn rifle that isn't going to get shot or used. So I am in the market for a slug barrel. Should I get a rifles slug barrel? A smooth slug barrel? What kind of slugs do you use with each? Example: do you fire rifled slugs from a smooth barrel or??????

Thanks for the advice.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert but it seems like a rifled slug barrel would be more accurate than a smoothbore.  I'm a little concerned that you want less guns instead of more....this doesn't compute.  Wouldn't a slug barrel sitting around until deer season be very similar to a deer rifle sitting around until deer season? Is it the space you need?  Are you making room to house immigrant dwarfs?  

You must reverse this course of action!
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm no expert but it seems like a rifled slug barrel would be more accurate than a smoothbore.  I'm a little concerned that you want less guns instead of more....this doesn't compute.  Wouldn't a slug barrel sitting around until deer season be very similar to a deer rifle sitting around until deer season? Is it the space you need?  Are you making room to house immigrant dwarfs?  

View Quote

Well Brandi, I am gonna be honest with you cuz I like you.

People are going to jump all over me for admitting this publically......... But.........

I have sold down to virtually no guns at all. I took the money that I gained selling extra guns and ammo and put it into my Harley. I ride everyday, I see it everyday, I spend time in it or around it everyday. I am just tired of the whole gun thing. Out here in the panhandle there is no one to trade with, or shoot with, so I don't really enjoy the gun thing and gun culture the way I used to.

I just want good usable weaponry, and a minimum of it at that.

Okay........ Let the flaming begin!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree it's probably a poor decision! But I love that damn Harley. BELIEVE ME, out here in the panhandle there isn't a damn thing to do but ride! Most of these folks are working men and women. They work as much a six days a week. When they have a day off they spend it with Family... Not "some dude". I have a good 357 mag and I reload. I have a good Mossberg Shotty, I have a little 22 plinker, and an old hand me down 410 bolt action. I'm not gunned, I just don't have 11 or 12 anymore.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

People are going to jump all over me for admitting this publically......... But.........

I have sold down to virtually no guns at all. I took the money that I gained selling extra guns and ammo and put it into my Harley. I ride everyday, I see it everyday, I spend time in it or around it everyday. I am just tired of the whole gun thing. Out here in the panhandle there is no one to trade with, or shoot with, so I don't really enjoy the gun thing and gun culture the way I used to.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can totally understand your reasoning.  You obviously enjoy riding so why not invest your money into making it more enjoyable, makes sense to me.  I had a motorcycle many years ago, I enjoyed it but when you spend your work hours working accidents and such all day you develop a conflict of interest, so to speak, and I gave it up.  I keep thinking I would like a Harley V-Rod but after doing what I used to do, I'm not sure I could ever ride on a highway or any busy street anymore.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifled slug barrel for sabot slugs which can be pretty accurate out to 75-100 yards.  2-3 inch groups are fairly common with the right ammo.  You don't want to use shot in a rifled barrel it will make a pretty useless pattern.  Smoothbore use rifled slugs and about 40-50 yards is what most people feel safe and is most accurate.  Mossberg does make a very heavy well made slug barrel.  

Whichever route you pick be sure and try several different brands of ammo as slug guns can be picky with what they like to shoot well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rifled slug barrel for sabot slugs which can be pretty accurate out to 75-100 yards.  2-3 inch groups are fairly common with the right ammo.  You don't want to use shot in a rifled barrel it will make a pretty useless pattern.  Smoothbore use rifled slugs and about 40-50 yards is what most people feel safe and is most accurate.  Mossberg does make a very heavy well made slug barrel.  

Whichever route you pick be sure and try several different brands of ammo as slug guns can be picky with what they like to shoot well.
View Quote

I recommend a rifled barrel with sabots.  I have yet to find any rifled slug that works through my smooth bore Nova.  I'm thinking about buying a 500 or an 870 just to get a rifled barrel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can totally understand your reasoning.  You obviously enjoy riding so why not invest your money into making it more enjoyable, makes sense to me.  I had a motorcycle many years ago, I enjoyed it but when you spend your work hours working accidents and such all day you develop a conflict of interest, so to speak, and I gave it up.  I keep thinking I would like a Harley V-Rod but after doing what I used to do, I'm not sure I could ever ride on a highway or any busy street anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

COOL!!!!  If you get one holler at me, and we'll ride.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good advice.  Thanks.  Have you tried this route?  Have you had any more or less success with certain types of slugs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I recommend a rifled barrel with sabots.  I have yet to find any rifled slug that works through my smooth bore Nova.  I'm thinking about buying a 500 or an 870 just to get a rifled barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So definitely a rifled barrel then.  Roger that.  Any slugs that you like more or less?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rifled slugs from a smooth barrel can be as accurate as sabot slugs from a rifled barrel and just as far away.  The problem is that most smooth bore barrels just have a bead, and without optics or traditional iron sights, it's hard to aim consistently with just a bead.  On top of that, most people don't want to try different slugs to find out what works well in their barrel, which doesn't help a bit.

Get a smooth barrel with iron sights or mount an optic of some sort on the receiver and you'll be fine with rifled slugs.  In fact, if you have a Mossberg with a smooth bore and changeable choke tubes (or a fixed choke that is moderate, cylinder, or improved cylinder bore), you can shoot rifled slugs just fine now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rifled slugs from a smooth barrel can be as accurate as sabot slugs from a rifled barrel and just as far away.  The problem is that most smooth bore barrels just have a bead, and without optics or traditional iron sights, it's hard to aim consistently with just a bead.  On top of that, most people don't want to try different slugs to find out what works well in their barrel, which doesn't help a bit.

Get a smooth barrel with iron sights or mount an optic of some sort on the receiver and you'll be fine with rifled slugs.  In fact, if you have a Mossberg with a smooth bore and changeable choke tubes (or a fixed choke that is moderate, cylinder, or improved cylinder bore), you can shoot rifled slugs just fine now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Mossberg 500 is drilled and tap for an optic. So I could put a mount and a scope on it. I may just try that and see how it works. Thanks sir.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good advice.  Thanks.  Have you tried this route?  Have you had any more or less success with certain types of slugs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was seriously looking into the same option as you last year.  Talked with several guys who have hunted with slug guns.  Picked up a 835 cheap and was looking at getting one of the rifled slug barrels.  Ended up going a completely different route and got a Ruger 77/44.  It shoots a 240 grain bullet close to what a 20 gauge 250 grain sabot flies at and has close to the same range.  I'm like most people and shoot less than 100 yds where I hunt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
meh.........how many gun[s] does one need, ammo is a different issue. (which if ya'll will remember some of previous post about stocking reloading components and stacking cubes of 22lr wouldn't be crying right now).

course a bike, nice bike that is, is all that's needed,

riding them since I was a small skinny child putting many miles cruising over the years with air in my face, chick on the back and open road, which one of these days when I'm released to return to work, when able to I'm going to start saving funds to buy another cruiser I like.

as for slug barrels, plain jane smooth bore barrels have worked fine shooting the ww and rem forester slugs in my experience, hell if you've got a 357mag, you got all the deer cartridge you need in you practice hitting what you aim at on a damn regular basis.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with this.  I've put over 4k on my bike since I bought it in September.  Already have plans for getting a nice cruiser.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
meh.........how many gun[s] does one need, ammo is a different issue. (which if ya'll will remember some of previous post about stocking reloading components and stacking cubes of 22lr wouldn't be crying right now).

riding them since I was a small skinny child putting many miles cruising over the years with air in my face, chick on the back and open road, which one of these days when I'm released to return to work, when able to I'm going to start saving funds to buy another cruiser I like.

as for slug barrels, plain jane smooth bore barrels have worked fine shooting the ww and rem forester slugs in my experience, hell if you've got a 357mag, you got all the deer cartridge you need in you practice hitting what you aim at on a damn regular basis.
View Quote

Yeah I  am planning on hunting with my .357 mag. I got it sighted just like I want it. I was thinking I wanted something to supplement the magnum though. You know..... Something at 75 to 100 yards or better. I don't shoot far anymore.

GLAD to hear you are still planning to be a rider!  I couldn't do without my Harley!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree with this.  I've put over 4k on my bike since I bought it in September.  Already have plans for getting a nice cruiser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you ride some but that's not very many miles per year, get to where you put 15k+/year on one
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah I  am planning on hunting with my .357 mag. I got it sighted just like I want it. I was thinking I wanted something to supplement the magnum though. You know..... Something at 75 to 100 yards or better. I don't shoot far anymore.

GLAD to hear you are still planning to be a rider!  I couldn't do without my Harley!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a bow, dozen arrows and practice, get a decent pair of hiking boots too, that way your feet are comfortable walking after you harley breaks down on the road
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

you ride some but that's not very many miles per year, get to where you put 15k+/year on one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the last month I have been driving ~124 miles 5 days a week.

I'm working on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top