Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 2:13:41 PM EDT
Help!

Any info you can give a Texan that might be moving into the West Islip area?  It's one of the places my wife is looking at doing residency... what are the gun laws like there?  Any state sites I can look at to get the picture?

I'm wondering how many guns I'm going to have to leave back here in TX with family...

Thanks for any help.

Robbo
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
West Islip in on the south shore about dead set in the middle of the island in Suffolk county.  You won't be able to bring any pistols with you but long guns as long as they are not full auto will be fine.  www.nraila.org/Errors/404.aspx?404;http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp
try here for more specific informaiton on the exact legalities
   If you make the move let us welcome you to the LI ARFCOM crew and the first shoot you can make out at the Calverton shooting range(about 30 mins from W Islip)  Let me know if there is anything else we can help you out with.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
All your NFA has to stay home.  Your pistol license will take a few months to be approved then you can bring them in from texas.  Im not sure if there is a minimum residency requirement needed before you can apply for a license
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys... not sure if this is where we'll end up....  it works like a lottery (wife is going to be starting residency).  She puts in her choices in Jan, and in Feb they send back where you're going... so if it happens we'd probably move there around June and I'll be posting on how to hook up with people.

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You may be surprised to learn that there are some hunting opportunities on the island, although they probably pale in comparison to what you may be used to in Texas.  Also, if you fish, there is both fresh and salt water fishing for many different species, from shark to panfish.  Do a search for the New York State DEC to get more info on both, and for fishing I wholeheartedly recommend noreast.com.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys.  I'll be giving you a shout as soon as we find out what's going to happen.

February 9th is D-Day.  I'm making marks on the wall like some guy in prison counting down the days.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the cost of housing in that area?  Any sites or companies I should look at?

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Now you went and did it!  Houses are a bit high, property taxes too, and lot size is probably somewhat small compared to what you may be used to, although I understand Houston expenses are comparable.  A small 3 bedroom ranch with 1 bath and a 65x100 lot could see 300k in most towns.  Rentals aren't exactly inexpensive either, since the above effects them.  I would think a web search (Century 21, etc.) would give you some more exact prices...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yikes!  Here's what it's like around here:

1651 sq. ft. - 3bdr/2bath/2car, small lot, built in 2001,  = $100,000  

wow... this move may hurt  Thanks for the info.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top