Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:01:07 PM EDT
Well after talking around with some techs today, they might be sending 40 of us from the surrounding area to go to Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisanna for telephone work.  I am a cable repairman for Bellsouth and looks like they are going to send us there for a 12 to 18 months.  I havent heard anything official yet, but it looks likely.  But on the up side, Probally make some real sweet money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Mad, call your doc before you go and make sure you are up to date on your tetanus and other shots/boosters. DO NOT go down there until you do this. This goes for all responders.

Also, get some Purell hand cleaner and pack it with you at all times. DO NOT eat unless you either wash your hands or clean the shit out of them with Purell. There are some nasty diseases that are gonna break out and you need to be prepared.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been to the doc for other reasons of lately, but my Tetnis is up to date.  I have a real good hand cleaner the company supplies.  It will be nasty down there, I dont know for sure if I will be going.  But if it comes down to forcing people to go, Im on the bottom of the senority list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I second ReelDoc on the cleanliness issue.
With human and animal decomposition accelerating as time goes on, anything touched by water may be a nasty germ carrier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Mad, handcleaners like GoJo won't do the job. You need need a true germicidal handcleaner like Purell, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do have to go - watch your six!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]
you guys be real careful if you go and take care of yourselves.  

dittos on the sanitizer and updated shots.  also, i would not eat anything from anyone that did not come out of a prepared water tight package!   take alcohol wipes, etc.  as well.

let us know if there is anything we can do around here to hold the fort down while your gone.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
yep, i can relate to the old fat and slow part.

tough growing up to be an old fart!

thanks for keeping us posted, threefitty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, I'm getting too long in the tooth also. Will be 51 tomorrow. I guess disaster response is becoming a young man's game but I a still have the urge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Im getting up there in the years too, I will be 25 on the 25th  My boss is on vacation for a few days, so we have to wait for him to get back to find out more of the situation on people being sent. They will be sending 40 from the Charlotte Region to help out, so if they dont have anyone that wants to go, it will come down people like me with out the senority.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I find out tomorrow if I will be leaving on Saturday to go to Biloxi MS  I said yes when the asked for people wanting to go, found out its for the Southwest District and they are only taking 4 Facility Tech (thats me) and 10 Service Techs for the first wave.  If I do get picked, I will be there till the end of Dec.  Probally add about 25k to my pay for that time.    But the living conditions are MREs and Tents.  So I will let you all know tomorrow whats up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If you go, best of luck to you.  And I'm up for giving a hand back here.  One thing I'm good at is getting my hands on toothbrushes, paste, etc.  My class is putting together a load of said items to send there.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
MM If you go and you need anything, say the word bro.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Mad, if you go, under no circumstances drink any of the water, or tea/coffee or ice made with local water.

Don't eat anything that doesn't come from a can.

Brush your teeth and rinse with bottled water.

If you get any type of wound, take care of it IMMEDIATELY with an antiseptic and then bandage the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Got the call this morning, going to Charlotte for my shots.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Come back soon and safe!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like I will be leaving on Saturday, had my shots, and now I have to pack.  Once I get settled in, I will be sure to post and give updates to where I am and if I might need something.  Hopefully we all can get together after I get back and have a fun day
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Be safe and watch your six. If you need anything let us know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Be safe and watch your six. If you need anything let us know.

What he said.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Best of luck MM and take care of yourself.  I'll watch this thread to see if there's anything I can do to help.

-yj
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Repeating myself but....
Take care of yourself man, Be careful and get back safe.

If you need anything I think the Carolina crew can take care of ya.
W50G
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I will be living in Tent City, Gulfport, MS till a hotel can be found for all of us.  Probally 2 weeks max, it is the air force tents with AC.  We will be working in groups at all times, never alone.  So wish me luck, this will be last post for awhile, till I can get in a hotel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]
A good pair of waders might come in handy too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I echo everyone else ,stay safe, and give a shout if you need anything!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top