Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/21/2003 7:09:30 PM EST
Any regs or laws concerning out of staters and bringing longarms into Mass? Magazine capacity restrictions?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:30:04 AM EST
You should apply for out of state permit.
MA sucks.
IN ma you need a
Class A LTC for anything
Class B LTC for anything but high cap hand guns
FID for low cap rifles and shotguns

I would get a non resident permit if I were coming into MA from out of state.
The nazis will pick you up other wize.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:21:26 AM EST
Why are you bringing a longarm into the State? If you are coming in to shoot at a match at a gun club, you are all set. We have lots of NH shooters who show up at our matches, and as long as they are on our property they are all set.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:25:36 AM EST
Although it is bad, it isn't as bad as 99si portrays. I wouldn't waste my time on an non-resident license, unless you are going to be travelling here a lot. It's $50/yr for the LTC licenses. I'm not sure about the Out of State FID costs.

Standard Federal Transport laws apply. Must be unloaded, in trunk, etc.

If you are going to a club for a match, etc, then not a problem. If you are staying over night, then it could be problematic. If you know someone who is licensed who could hold it for you, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Depends on where you are going in Mass too. Closer to Boston, the more paranoid people get. You could also check out www.goal.org or give them a call for more information. They are the local pro-gun organization in Mass. They have the laws and links posted on their site.

If you need more information, or I can help in any way, IM me.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:58:22 AM EST
Hiriam my friend, you should be ok as long as your outside the RT495 belt that surrounds Boston, (kindalikeNYC). Dose'nt the Mclure~volkmer? FEDERAL law say that if its legal for you to own it in your state its legal to transport it to another state/nation wide? I'm not sure. The 'goal' website should "define" things. If your going for a day or 2, Southish Boston area IM me........we'll have a .
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:44:47 PM EST
Brother Hiriam,

Fed law is followed here, so if you are legal where you are coming from AND where you are going to you transport locked/cased in trunk.

No out-of-stater needs a LTC or FID if coming into MA for participation in a match or going to a gun show (bring evidence of same). If you are just coming to MA and hope to do some shooting informally, bringing guns/ammo into MA would be illegal without a LTC. There are NO FIDs issued to out-of-staters, only LTC (which is a good thing).

Non-Res LTC takes many months (last I knew) to obtain, required a MA Certified course certificate (for the first issuance), special fingerprint card, application and $50/1 year.

Non-Res (even with LTC) are legally prohibited from purchasing any firearms, ammo or ammo components (exception is ammo at a range and it must all be fired there, non can be carried away with you). That said, I've never been asked to show my LTC (I am a MA Resident) at a gun show when buying ammo or magazines/clips (all require a LTC or FID). Most gun shops don't ask for any ID to sell ammo or mags either (although this is illegal for them to do).

Mag capacity is NOT restricted in MA, although residents must have the proper category LTC to possess or purchase them.

Best bet would be checking www.packing.org and www.goal.org and calling GOAL at 508-393-5333 to make sure that whatever you do is legal.

The law is uniform across the state, but the knowledge of the law by any particular LEO will vary all across the board.
Top Top