Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 5:31:12 PM EDT
Would possession of the following be illegal in MA with any special permit?

1) BB's or pellets for an airgun/pellet gun

2) A spent shell casing (ie. an empty Q3131A casing)

What if they found either of the above on the floor board of your car?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
BBs/pellets in the possession of an adult (without a MA LTC/FID) is legal according to the interpretation of the State Police Ballistics Section regarding MGL C. 140 S. 121 (definitions). I think it might be illegal in the hands of a person under 21 or 18. BUT I am not 100% positive here.
www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/140%2D121.htm

I AM CERTAIN about spent shell casings, primers, projectiles, etc. (components) and possession IS ILLEGAL without having a MA LTC/FID! See aforementioned section of MGL as well as MGL C. 269 S. 10 (h) - 2 year jail sentence attached to this one!
www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/269%2D10.htm
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I AM CERTAIN about spent shell casings, primers, projectiles, etc. (components) and possession IS ILLEGAL without having a MA LTC/FID! See aforementioned section of MGL as well as MGL C. 269 S. 10 (h) - 2 year jail sentence attached to this one!
www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/269%2D10.htm

are you serious?  what about if you are not a resident?

ie: what happens if a NH resident saves his brass for reloading and one drops out of his pocket onto the seat beside him and he's pulled over for speeding on his way to see a friend who lives in MA and the cop notices it?

i knew MA gun laws were insane but this is a step beyond...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
POSSESSION means just that! It doesn't matter if one is a Resident or NOT. The only exceptions for Non-Residents are if they are going to a documented match (not "going plinking"), attending gun shows, LEO, etc. If you can't prove it and the cop doesn't cut you a break, you could end up spending a lot more time in MA than you might like. MA treats gun ownership, ammo, component, etc. infractions much more seriously than rape, murder, burglary! Being hard on gun owners is good for anyone with political aspirations (ask John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, etc.).

Yes, I am aware of one incident where a teenage girl was driving her Dad's car, was stopped and a spent shell casing rolled out from under the passenger seat. The cop was itching to arrest her for "illegal possession of ammunition components", but was foiled since the 18 year old girl had an FID card. This is why I've insisted that my Wife (who hates guns) keep a current LTC . . . every time she tells me that she only does this because I insist on it, I remind her that if I didn't insist she could land in jail for 5 or 10 years for something that is a "yawn" in Free America.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top